Author Topic: I'm ready for what's next - but is my bank account?  (Read 12090 times)

Offline macmango

• Stateless
I'm ready for what's next - but is my bank account?
« on: October 15, 2008, 07:11:59 PM »
As I listen to a Vertigo bootleg tonight, the memories of the last tour come back in a powerful way.  When U2's on the road, their tours have a way of drawing us out and drafting us in - creating a restlessness that's only satisfied by a fix.  But faced with the reality of greatly reduced travel opportunities (the piggy bank's gonna be empty for a long time!), I'm trying to appreciate the idea of making it to that local show (or two).  Of course I 'want' more, but it's first things first for sure.

Sherry, you raised this issue in your OTR column.  I can't help but remember that there were like a gazillion Boston shows, so you have an advantage over most of the world.

So, it's not too early to think of ways to raise extra funds for the upcoming tour.  Car washes?  Newspaper routes?  Keg parties with cover charge?  Slashing the Christmas gift budget?  Well for sure, the word Starbucks comes to mind.  Maybe it's all relative - What am I willing to sacrifice to fly out to a few U2 shows?   :-\

Offline Alex

• Wanderer
Re: I'm ready for what's next - but is my bank account?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 09:39:25 PM »
*starts looking for extra body parts to sell*

Heh but yea, I have a feeling that u2 won't come to my part of the woods this tour either, so my best chance would be catching a train to Vienna. Perhaps look for a cheap hotel there too.

*starts looking for more body parts*

btw my first post on the new forum \ :D /

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 07:12:46 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
*starts looking for extra body parts to sell*
*starts looking for more body parts*

LOL!  er....SO true.  :-\ The way things are going with evil TM ( & Live Nation working with them) - they're going to definitely be off the charts expensive and hard to get.  I'm hoping and praying I can get a ticket, and will be choked if I can't afford it ( or justify extortionist ticket tout gouging). 

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 09:22:47 PM »
Skip Starbucks and Caribou learn how to make that just as good at home for a 10th of the price and remember college days and throw a kegger instead of happy hour-- friends will be more than happy to help!  Because they know they just know they won't be able to stand you if they don't help!! If they don't, they will have to live through the phase of "OMG!!! I couldn't go to the concert-- life is over, nothing else to look forward to, nothing, nothing.... everything sucks!.   :( Works everytime.  ;) ;D

hurricane hugo

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 10:48:41 PM »
There's always prostitution. ;)

jdfu!

InThisHeartland

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 06:00:00 PM »
haha! oh man... i would love to go to the chicago stop on the new tour, but being a teenager, ive got no money. hmmmm. if i go this will be my first concert ever. i can hope and pray...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 08:20:55 PM by InThisHeartland »

Offline zooey

• Elevated
  • Boom Cha
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 08:41:00 PM »
i've put away $100 a month all year (so now $1000) for my concert tix and travel expenses.  The money comes from a job that i do helping a neighbor with his at home business.

Offline Ultraviolet [ACAAs Polisher of Shiny PopMart Basses]

• Child of Grace
  • Babe, it must be art!
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 10:00:55 PM »
If they don't, they will have to live through the phase of "OMG!!! I couldn't go to the concert-- life is over, nothing else to look forward to, nothing, nothing.... everything sucks!.   :( Works everytime.  ;) ;D

I would be absolutely crushed if I couldn't go, 'cause this is the first time they've been on tour since I became a fan... *shudders at thought*

And my friends would despise me if I didn't go, too... It would dominate all conversations for a month!

"OH my GOD!!! I can't believe I missed it..."

"Sooo, what did you think of that new movie?"

"It had Brad Pitt in it... who went to Bono's birthday party... I CANNOT believe I missed it!!!!"

Offline vickidvm

• Numb
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 07:09:35 PM »
That's what credit cards are for.  Sigh.

Selling things on Ebay also helps. 

• Child of Grace
  • Babe, it must be art!
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 01:12:43 AM »
Selling things on Ebay also helps. 

Like electronics... and clothing... and food...  Heck, we might as well resort to an "everything must go!!" yard sale 2 days before the concert... ;)

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 03:35:20 PM »
All the money making ideas are great. Selling body parts is my favorite, prostitution is the second runner up.  ;D
I've also started setting some money aside, but the total so far is not impressive. Credit cards - good point!

Now, even if there is money, what doesn't help is a husband who thinks your love of U2 is a teenage infatuation, and you should have grown out of it 15 years ago ("What? Are you trying to be 16 again?" etc, etc).

Hey! A divorce settlement! I'll have the money, and nobody opposing me going to see them!
I can get "two stones with one bird", lol.

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 09:29:12 AM »
I'm thinking of selling my children if it comes to that.  (Just kidding!  Don't want the authorities kicking my door down tomorrow!)  Three smart attractive children, not too good around the house, but they know all the words to all U2 songs, and can even do the Boom-cha dance.  Will trade for tickets! 

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 05:25:44 PM »
I mean good tickets!  I'm not giving them away for nose-bleed seats!

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 06:22:33 PM »
Hey, u2yooper, I am planning on selling my 2 handsome, wonderful boys.  Perhaps we can work on this one together.  I HAVE to get to a concert on this tour.  My last one was the Joshua Tree.  I don't know what got into me all these years.  I do have a cousin who represents a lot of musical artists (of course not U2-just my luck).  One of them is John Legend.  I am thinking there is a U2 connection however farfetched it is-John did do a cover of Pride.  I don't see my cousin much but I am planning on a nice phone call very soon to see how he is doing!!!  I know-shame on me right!  I don't care, I will do what I have to.  We all will find a way I'm sure.

• Child of Grace
  • Babe, it must be art!
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 06:25:08 PM »
I'm thinking of bringing my bass, dressing up as Adam, and attempting to get in the back way at the next concert... Not quite sure how that'll go over, seeing as I'm female... But it's worth a shot, right?  ;)