Author Topic: Do you foresee the "swine flu issue" affecting the U2360 Tour?  (Read 4211 times)

Offline drumu2

• Babyface
Just thinking ahead... with the growing concerns of the swine flu and it spreading.

Wondering if this might effect concert goers, the tour, or the band in any way (shows post-poned / mandatory face masks etc)

I guess time will tell - let's all hope, pray and cross our fingers that nothing too significant will come of it. :-\

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
Re: Do you foresee the "swine flu issue" affecting the U2360 Tour?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 05:03:58 PM »
Yes, I agree with the latter part.

I don't mind using the facemasks, just don't call off the tour!!!

Offline hbarakat

• Wanderer
  • Smell the flowers while you can
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 05:07:22 PM »
Good question.  I think they are hoping that once we move into summer where traditionally it is not flu season as the virus can not survive in warm temperatures, the swine flu will die down a lot.  It will however come back in fall but by then we should have a Vaccine.

I think there are a lot of unknowns at this point to really understand its impact on this or anything else.

I am hoping not but more for the fact that I have a 4 year old and an 11 months old baby at home and I don't want anything to happen to them.

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 05:09:14 PM »
If you have them at home, the risk of them catching anything is considerably lower.

At this time I'm really glad I homeschool my kids.

Offline drumu2

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 05:14:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think they are hoping that once we move into summer where traditionally it is not flu season as the virus can not survive in warm temperatures, the swine flu will die down a lot.

That is an interesting point, but Mexico City has been in the high 80's this week, and apparently the virus is still going strong...  :-\

I hope that is true though.  It will get much hotter (in the 100's) and maybe that will be enough to knock it out for a while while a more effective vaccine is produced.

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 05:53:08 PM »
Good question.  I think they are hoping that once we move into summer where traditionally it is not flu season as the virus can not survive in warm temperatures, the swine flu will die down a lot.  It will however come back in fall but by then we should have a Vaccine.

I think there are a lot of unknowns at this point to really understand its impact on this or anything else.

I am hoping not but more for the fact that I have a 4 year old and an 11 months old baby at home and I don't want anything to happen to them.

I understand your concerns, but this virus is actually most likely to affect adults than kids or elders. It seems the stronger your immune system, the more affect it has. A strong immune system sets up a reaction that causes the problems (high fever, etc).

So be careful when you go out. Washing your hands is the most effective defense. Antibacterial soap is NOT necessary!
I know you probably know this, but I can't resist a chance to pass it along.

Birdlover

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 05:54:49 PM »
Hi Birdlover! It's good to see you!

One good thing about "global" problems is united awareness and effort to remedy the situation.

shockdocta22

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 06:26:33 PM »

Adam must have saw the Swine Flu coming during Popmart ::)

Offline drumu2

• Babyface
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 06:45:04 PM »

Adam must have saw the Swine Flu coming during Popmart ::)

LOL!

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 06:46:28 PM »
Well, first off, it's not air born so face masks are pretty pointless. Secondly, why the hell worry about this right now? You should go on with your life and stop worrying. The precautions are to wash your hands, stay away from sick people, and to cover your coughs and sneezes. I said this in another forum as well, but basically, the precautions are to live a normal life. (If someone was sick, would you go hang out with them anyway?) Goodness. Make this dumb f****** swine flu stop so I can stop hearing people freaking out. It's too damn early to freak out about anything.

Offline hbarakat

• Wanderer
  • Smell the flowers while you can
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 06:55:21 PM »
I think Jasonthejedi should run all media, so people can stop worrying about swine flu, recession and really death in general  :)

I see your point but really it still scares me just because of the impact that it could have to my kids if something happens to them or me and their mom.  But also the impact it may have on the fragile state of the economy.

You are right about taking precautions and I am hoping that the reason the unfortunate people have died is because they did not seek medical assistance or sadly did not get and not because the virus is so severe.

Now back to the Music!  Breathe people!

Offline drumu2

• Babyface
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 06:55:51 PM »
Well, first off, it's not air born so face masks are pretty pointless. Secondly, why the hell worry about this right now? You should go on with your life and stop worrying. The precautions are to wash your hands, stay away from sick people, and to cover your coughs and sneezes. I said this in another forum as well, but basically, the precautions are to live a normal life. (If someone was sick, would you go hang out with them anyway?) Goodness. Make this dumb f****** swine flu stop so I can stop hearing people freaking out. It's too damn early to freak out about anything.

umm, I don't think anyone was freaking out there bro.  Just stating a possibility...

Offline Carrick

• Stateless
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 06:57:08 PM »

Remember, this type of a flue virus is actually more of a threat to people in their 20s, 30s, and 40s, those with the strongest immune systems, IF, you get this type of flue. Thats because the stronger immune systems overreact to this type of a virus.

The most important things I think are:

1. WASH HANDS
2. DON'T TOUCH  YOUR FACE, unless you just washed your hands.
3. Try to keep a minimum of 6 feet between you and other people when out in public.
4. Cover your mouth when coughing and sneezing.
5. Be extra careful about kissing and handshaking or avoid it.

Obviously #3 in certain situations may not be possible, but its good to practice it when you can. Some doctors think that the spread can be reduced by nearly 80% of most people followed those recomendations.  

The best senerio would hopefully be that the number of daily reported infections continues to decrease in Mexico. Within a few weeks it appears that the spread has stopped in Mexico. In other countries there is only some slight increases over the next few weeks followed, by a similar rate of decrease just after that as in Mexico. All clear for the summer of 2009. Then in the fall, this type of flue does not resurface or if it does, a vaccine has been developed to handle it.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 06:59:38 PM »
Culture. Of. Fear.

Ohmygodthepigsarecomingtogetus!

Another complete joke. There are influenza strains every year that kill people. Let's just create a culture of fear so that Americans don't go to Mexico and spend their dollars in the US to try to rectify the financial crisis.

And we in the rest of the world will again follow like sheep.

Decapitating murderers? Swine flu? Hey, don't spend your money in Mexico, the US's #1 tourist destination, spend your money AT HOME.

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 07:03:40 PM »

umm, I don't think anyone was freaking out there bro.  Just stating a possibility...

I don't know. Asking everyone to hope, pray, and cross their fingers is a pretty high level of worrying, which could very well constitute freaking out depending on your definition. If you want to lose sleep over it, I guess you can if you want. I just don't see the point in worrying about a concert that is over two months away in Europe and over 4-5 months for people in North America.