Author Topic: Do you foresee the "swine flu issue" affecting the U2360 Tour?  (Read 4214 times)

mariamontreal

Re: Do you foresee the "swine flu issue" affecting the U2360 Tour?
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2009, 11:31:02 AM »
I was actually thinking of that last night, I do hope that by the time we go to the concert ( in my case September) from now until then it goes away . I would hate for anyone to come down with it and miss their concert . That's about as worst as it could get. Let's hope this passes quickly .

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2009, 02:28:54 PM »
I'm concerned, and not just for the audience members. Remember that U2 tours with a large group of people. That's a whole lot of folks travelling around the world, some in one country, some running ahead to set things up. If this flu is widespread, the very act of travelling could help spread it.
What would be even worse is if any of the band or the essential support crew got sick.
Much as I dearly want to see them, I'd rather they not take the chance. Remember, they bring their families with them!

I hope that vaccine is available soon!

Birdlover

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2009, 02:41:15 PM »
I retract my earlier statements. I just learned that 0.00000379615% of the world's population has been infected!!

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2009, 04:23:50 PM »
ORANGE ALERT JASON! Orange Alert...

Everyone RUN FOR THE HILLS

Offline Immy1992

• Elevated
  • oh sugar, don't you cry
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2009, 04:56:38 PM »
Everyone's going on like this is the next bubonic plague, but i don't see why people are worrying so much. If there was a shortage of anti-viral drugs then fair enough, but everyone's as well prepared and well educated as they can be. I'm not so up-to-date bout what's going on in the states, but in the UK, there's only been 6 reported cases, all of which have recently returned from mexico, and there's been no fatalities.

It's just a case of wait and see what happens.

Offline the Edge Gotto

• Elevated
  • U2, Peter Gabriel, and Genesis shall dominate
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2009, 09:40:14 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Everyone's going on like this is the next bubonic plague, but i don't see why people are worrying so much. If there was a shortage of anti-viral drugs then fair enough, but everyone's as well prepared and well educated as they can be. I'm not so up-to-date bout what's going on in the states, but in the UK, there's only been 6 reported cases, all of which have recently returned from mexico, and there's been no fatalities.

It's just a case of wait and see what happens.

I agree. Let's just take it one step at a time. This isn't helping the economy at all though because of people not wanting to travel and cruises not going to Mexico.

Offline ckamp

• Babyface
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2009, 08:32:52 AM »
Well, first off, it's not air born so face masks are pretty pointless.

I agree with pretty much everything you said except this.  Because it is passed by coughing and sneezing, masks restrict access to your body.  However, a much more effective use of the mask is to have the sick person wear it.  I work in an ER and we are required to take certain precautions but most people freak out and come in for no good reason.  If you have symptoms, go to your doctor.  There are very effective treatments you can get.  The chances of you dying are actually pretty slim if you are treating it.  Don't panic.  Just be smart.

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2009, 10:33:25 AM »
Buy up all the canned food you can.

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2009, 10:36:39 AM »
Ditto on this ^^^ ( ckamp)

Its been considered a pre-pandemic 5 b/c its spread is growing fast & it'll take a few months to come up with a vaccine.   I think its a bit premature to be worried about the tour in relation to the H1N1 / aka Swine flu virus.

That said, I can see why parents are worried and anyone that is travelling right now.  
Its well know and a common occurrence to get sick (normal colds) from catching germs on planes, given the shared recirculated air, & not a stretch to catch a flu of any type from flying.  So I'd be wary of air travel right now.  

Other than that, I wouldn't worry or wear a mask.  Just follow good hygiene & the recommended protocols like washing your hands frequently, and keeping a distance from sick people as best possible.  Not every sneeze is Swine flu and its allergy season.  

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2009, 12:19:15 PM »
Well, first off, it's not air born so face masks are pretty pointless.

I agree with pretty much everything you said except this.  Because it is passed by coughing and sneezing, masks restrict access to your body.  However, a much more effective use of the mask is to have the sick person wear it.  I work in an ER and we are required to take certain precautions but most people freak out and come in for no good reason.  If you have symptoms, go to your doctor.  There are very effective treatments you can get.  The chances of you dying are actually pretty slim if you are treating it.  Don't panic.  Just be smart.

True, true. I just can't help but start laughing when I see the masks go around like crazy though. If it's passed exactly the same way as the regular flu, where are all the masks during the regular flu season? If you're sitting in a house with a person that has the flu, I'm all for the mask, but seeing all the people wearing them everywhere is absolutely hilarious.

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2009, 12:31:03 PM »

I'm glad you are finally seeing things clearly now too. I went ahead and bought as many jugs of water as I could afford along with many canned goods. Also, I read an article today that said, under a worst case scenario, 1700 Americans could get the swine flu. That's only about 3 million less than the amount of people that get the regular flu in the U.S. every year. As for Australia, I don't have the stats, but I would suggest telling your loved ones how much they mean to you!!!

God help us.

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2009, 08:13:45 PM »

I'm glad you are finally seeing things clearly now too. I went ahead and bought as many jugs of water as I could afford along with many canned goods. Also, I read an article today that said, under a worst case scenario, 1700 Americans could get the swine flu. That's only about 3 million less than the amount of people that get the regular flu in the U.S. every year. As for Australia, I don't have the stats, but I would suggest telling your loved ones how much they mean to you!!!

God help us.

If you are reading this, I have grown trotters for feet and died of Swine Flu.

My U2 collection is in my study cupboard. You're welcome to take what you like.

When my house is clear of the fumigators.

Offline Immy1992

• Elevated
  • oh sugar, don't you cry
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2009, 04:07:34 PM »
Does anyone else think that death by pig would be the one of the most embarrassing ways to die?  :P

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2009, 09:09:41 PM »
I could think of many other worse scenarios!   :D  ( all much more embarrassing)

Offline BeneathTheNoise

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2009, 01:20:42 AM »
I thought everyone was freaking out not because it was an outbreak, but because it was a weird genetic mutation of the virus that was spreading.. & last time a weird genetic mutation of a virus spread, millions of people across the world died.. or something like that. Yeeah..  ???