These two seem like a good match.

Moment of Surrender
44 (51.8%)
Sometime You Can't Make it On Your Own
27 (31.8%)
Tie
14 (16.5%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Author Topic: Moment of Surrender or Sometime You Can't Make it On Your Own...  (Read 8997 times)

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
Up until a week ago, it was Sometimes.. by a thread, I'm gonna say a tie today.

Offline joe73

• Wanderer
Re: Moment of Surrender or Sometime You Can't Make it On Your Own...
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 02:13:39 AM »
For me it's no contest. MOS is my favourite song on the new album. Can't wait to hear how they play it live.

Whilst I appreciate that Sometimes... is a very personal song for Bono I didn't really connect with it as much as I did with Kite on ATYCLB which covered similar ground. It was one of my least faves on HTDAAB.

Maybe we could have another poll between Sometimes...  and Kite ( if it hasn't been done already)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 02:27:49 AM by joe73 »

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 02:42:57 AM »
Hmm ... I think I'll sit on the fence, I say tie.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 07:45:21 AM »
One song won a Grammy, the other probably never will after the tragedy of the "ATM machine" lyrical ineptitude.

Cheers,

J

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 07:51:54 AM »
MOS, easily, despite being too long.

Offline u2matters

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 07:58:17 AM »
 I don't give a rat's ass about a Grammy - plus ATM machine within the MOS lyirc bothers me none whatsoever. MOS to me, is a far better song.

Offline u2bonoman

• Refugee
  • Gone the way of the caveman.
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 07:59:37 AM »
Moment of Surrender is better.

Offline hernandezhennessey

• Stateless
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 08:20:22 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
One song won a Grammy, the other probably never will after the tragedy of the "ATM machine" lyrical ineptitude.

Cheers,

J

For me it is a tie. I connected to Sometimes at a very personal level since my Mom died exactly by the time the song and album came out. But I believe that as a song itself MOS is better. So.. I could not have one over the other.

But c´mon Jick, Enough with the data and statistics and measuring of how well the music and the band are doing merely by the numbers you like to show. What do we care if "sometimes" won a grammy? Does that make it a better song for me even I hadnt had the very personal connection to it?

Music is subjective, music is variable, the effect of music (Specially U2´s music) cannot be measured.

I agree with the whole "ATM machine" thing. I mean its kinda silly. But what do I care. It fits as part of the melody of the song. I dont think that just because of that small part we should discard the value of a great song. Did you read this week´s "Like a Song"?... Now THAT is what we should measure music by..... Not sales, not band standards, not grammies...

Offline Lemon-Twist

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lay Your Love On The Track
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 09:47:38 AM »
I went for Sometimes you can't, i didn't like it at all when the album first came out but it has really grown on me, i like it when bono sings " your the reason why the opera is in me"

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 09:51:28 AM »
Is the controversy about the "ATM Machine" line solely about the redundant use of the word "machine"? If it is, then some people seriously need to get a life. If someone pulled me up for saying "pin number" I'd feel like punching them square in the nose. And I'm not a violent man.

Offline tufisbest

• Stateless
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 10:34:02 AM »
SYCMIOYO - not a fan of drum machines...that was easy.

Offline wrldchamps04

• Numb
  • ^^rock n roll perfection^^
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 10:37:41 AM »
I'll take the politicians way out, both sides of the fence---TIE

Offline j2736 (i'm not a boy ! )

• Desert Rose
  • watch more television
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 10:53:16 AM »
for me it's Sometime.. MOS doesn't sink into me ( i hate myself for this. ).

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 11:34:39 AM »
Moment Of Surrender was done in one take.  It is heavily buried in Eno's ambient synths.  The chord pattern is repetetive, the drumming is uninspired, the guitars are not as present.  Bono sings nonsensical lyrics.  Bono's voice sounds like a strained duck.  The music is not entirely attributable to U2, but partly to Eno and Lanois - see the credits.

Sometimes You Can't Make It has an interesting chord progression.  Bono builds to that operatic voice.  The lyircs are so personal and gut-wrenching.  The song builds to a peak and goes down on a valley.  There is direction, there is personality, there is intimacy.

I'd rather have lyrics like "let me take some of the punches for you tonight" or "if we weren't so alike, you'd like me a whole lot more" over garbage like "let the horses run free", or "playing with the fire until the fire played with me" or "ATM machine."

It blasphemous for some to even compare Moment Of Surrender to One.

Cheers,

J

Boom Cha!

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 11:37:46 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Moment Of Surrender was done in one take.  It is heavily buried in Eno's ambient synths.  The chord pattern is repetetive, the drumming is uninspired, the guitars are not as present.  Bono sings nonsensical lyrics.  Bono's voice sounds like a strained duck.  The music is not entirely attributable to U2, but partly to Eno and Lanois - see the credits.

Sometimes You Can't Make It has an interesting chord progression.  Bono builds to that operatic voice.  The lyircs are so personal and gut-wrenching.  The song builds to a peak and goes down on a valley.  There is direction, there is personality, there is intimacy.

I'd rather have lyrics like "let me take some of the punches for you tonight" or "if we weren't so alike, you'd like me a whole lot more" over garbage like "let the horses run free", or "playing with the fire until the fire played with me" or "ATM machine."

It blasphemous for some to even compare Moment Of Surrender to One.

Cheers,

J

Nobody is comparing those 2 songs in this thread.  ???