These two seem like a good match.

Moment of Surrender
44 (51.8%)
Sometime You Can't Make it On Your Own
27 (31.8%)
Tie
14 (16.5%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Author Topic: Moment of Surrender or Sometime You Can't Make it On Your Own...  (Read 8998 times)

Offline drummer120

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Always wear a safety belt!
Re: Moment of Surrender or Sometime You Can't Make it On Your Own...
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2009, 12:19:46 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The chord pattern is repetetive

Guess you're not a fan of With or Without You, huh?

[/quote]

Yeah, a repetitive chord pattern can make a very good song. Like WOWY which only has 4 chords.

joegtheog

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2009, 12:21:30 PM »
The chord pattern is repetetive

Guess you're not a fan of With or Without You, huh?

Yeah, a repetitive chord pattern can make a very good song. Like WOWY which only has 4 chords.
[/quote]

And "Bad", which only has two. 

Offline u2matters

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2009, 12:25:02 PM »
Jick's "logic" chip must have blown now.  "Sometimes", the sales juggernaut, is outvoted here by "MOS" the wretched song?  Impossible.

his logic is based on things I don't care about - and thus, irrelevant to me

It's called hypocrisy.  He's already been called out on it many times.  He is now officially a joke, and a non-funny one at that.

that's an understatement

Offline tufisbest

• Stateless
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2009, 02:56:07 PM »
Moment Of Surrender was done in one take.  It is heavily buried in Eno's ambient synths.  The chord pattern is repetetive, the drumming is uninspired, the guitars are not as present.  Bono sings nonsensical lyrics.  Bono's voice sounds like a strained duck.  The music is not entirely attributable to U2, but partly to Eno and Lanois - see the credits.

Sometimes You Can't Make It has an interesting chord progression.  Bono builds to that operatic voice.  The lyircs are so personal and gut-wrenching.  The song builds to a peak and goes down on a valley.  There is direction, there is personality, there is intimacy.

I'd rather have lyrics like "let me take some of the punches for you tonight" or "if we weren't so alike, you'd like me a whole lot more" over garbage like "let the horses run free", or "playing with the fire until the fire played with me" or "ATM machine."

It blasphemous for some to even compare Moment Of Surrender to One.

Cheers,

J

Awesome post Jick!  Finally someone on this board speaks the truth about the most overrated song in the history of U2.  How about his line - "I did not notice the passers-by and they did not notice me."  awful

Overrated where and how?

Here on this forum and among my U2 die-hard friends.  They all love it.  I disagree, therefore I feel that it is overrated by all. 

Offline tufisbest

• Stateless
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2009, 02:59:21 PM »
Moment Of Surrender was done in one take.  It is heavily buried in Eno's ambient synths.  The chord pattern is repetetive, the drumming is uninspired, the guitars are not as present.  Bono sings nonsensical lyrics.  Bono's voice sounds like a strained duck.  The music is not entirely attributable to U2, but partly to Eno and Lanois - see the credits.

Sometimes You Can't Make It has an interesting chord progression.  Bono builds to that operatic voice.  The lyircs are so personal and gut-wrenching.  The song builds to a peak and goes down on a valley.  There is direction, there is personality, there is intimacy.

I'd rather have lyrics like "let me take some of the punches for you tonight" or "if we weren't so alike, you'd like me a whole lot more" over garbage like "let the horses run free", or "playing with the fire until the fire played with me" or "ATM machine."

Cheers,

J

Awesome post Jick!  Finally someone on this board speaks the truth about the most overrated song in the history of U2.  How about his line - "I did not notice the passers-by and they did not notice me."  awful

Tell me what you think is wrong about that line. And btw you shouldn't feel proud that Jick agrees with you about anything.

So funny how Jick gets to you people.  That line is predictable.  I knew the first time I heard it that he would finish it by saying, "they did not notice me."  Too easy.

joegtheog

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2009, 03:41:29 PM »

Cheers,

J

Tell me what you think is wrong about that line. And btw you shouldn't feel proud that Jick agrees with you about anything.

So funny how Jick gets to you people.  That line is predictable.  I knew the first time I heard it that he would finish it by saying, "they did not notice me."  Too easy.

It's even funnier how Jick has a Mini-Me.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2009, 05:27:31 PM »
Sometimes is a very powerful song, any song Bono dedicates to his father is likely to be like that. It has wonderful lyrics and chords, and i love the song.

But MOS wins by a nose. It was a one take song, Bono's voice was very good, and overall is an incredible track.

Offline tufisbest

• Stateless
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2009, 07:53:53 PM »

Cheers,

J

It's even funnier how Jick has a Mini-Me.

People are strange

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2009, 08:16:23 PM »
I love Sometimes. Bono sings it so beautifully to his father but Moment of Surrender is just so powerful. Given the two, I must go with Moment.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2009, 08:46:57 PM »
I love Moment, dont get me wrong but I see it as a second tier epic, with the first tier epic being songs like One, Streets, etc.  I voted for Sometimes beause, even though they both sound good but not great, the circumstance behind the song turned it into one of the 5 best lyrical masterpieces in U2's catalogue

Offline Van the Man Fan

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2009, 08:47:10 PM »
MOS easily.  I've noticed that Jick always needs some kind of outside vindication for his opinions like sales and grammy awards.  I feel sorry for him.  

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Numb
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2009, 09:08:20 PM »
Theyre not even in the same ballpark.   MOS is JT-caliber.   Sometimes is a minor song, a throwaway of sorts.     It would be more fair, IMO, to compare MOS to I Still Havent Found What Im Looking For.     

Offline hawthorn mccadden

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
MOS!!!

Heard it on the radio for the first time yesterday!!! Great way to start the morning. DJ complimented the song and all of NLOTH. (100.3 The Sound in LA...newish station playing a broad spectrum of rock...not too bad).

Offline jackofhearts

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2009, 12:13:31 AM »
Sometimes for me.  Moment is ok, but it starts off too big for me.  It feels to me that they started with the bridge.  Plus, the falsetto in Sometimes is quite amazing, and Edge has some amazing guitar work. 

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2009, 02:20:44 AM »
I like Bono's vocal on MOS. I don't care what anyone says but Bono is sounding great on that track. SYCMIOYO was more of a personal song on so many levels.  I had to pick Sometimes, only because it actually made me emotional listening to it.  I haven't connected to MOS and I usually skip it.