These two seem like a good match.

Moment of Surrender
44 (51.8%)
Sometime You Can't Make it On Your Own
27 (31.8%)
Tie
14 (16.5%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Author Topic: Moment of Surrender or Sometime You Can't Make it On Your Own...  (Read 9026 times)

joegtheog

Re: Moment of Surrender or Sometime You Can't Make it On Your Own...
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 11:39:56 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Moment Of Surrender was done in one take.  It is heavily buried in Eno's ambient synths.  The chord pattern is repetetive, the drumming is uninspired, the guitars are not as present.  Bono sings nonsensical lyrics.  Bono's voice sounds like a strained duck.  The music is not entirely attributable to U2, but partly to Eno and Lanois - see the credits.

Sometimes You Can't Make It has an interesting chord progression.  Bono builds to that operatic voice.  The lyircs are so personal and gut-wrenching.  The song builds to a peak and goes down on a valley.  There is direction, there is personality, there is intimacy.

I'd rather have lyrics like "let me take some of the punches for you tonight" or "if we weren't so alike, you'd like me a whole lot more" over garbage like "let the horses run free", or "playing with the fire until the fire played with me" or "ATM machine."

It blasphemous for some to even compare Moment Of Surrender to One.

Cheers,

J

that's what YOU think!

Offline tufisbest

• Stateless
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 11:46:11 AM »
Moment Of Surrender was done in one take.  It is heavily buried in Eno's ambient synths.  The chord pattern is repetetive, the drumming is uninspired, the guitars are not as present.  Bono sings nonsensical lyrics.  Bono's voice sounds like a strained duck.  The music is not entirely attributable to U2, but partly to Eno and Lanois - see the credits.

Sometimes You Can't Make It has an interesting chord progression.  Bono builds to that operatic voice.  The lyircs are so personal and gut-wrenching.  The song builds to a peak and goes down on a valley.  There is direction, there is personality, there is intimacy.

I'd rather have lyrics like "let me take some of the punches for you tonight" or "if we weren't so alike, you'd like me a whole lot more" over garbage like "let the horses run free", or "playing with the fire until the fire played with me" or "ATM machine."

Cheers,

J

Awesome post Jick!  Finally someone on this board speaks the truth about the most overrated song in the history of U2.  How about his line - "I did not notice the passers-by and they did not notice me."  awful

joegtheog

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 11:47:25 AM »

Cheers,

J

Awesome post Jick!  Finally someone on this board speaks the truth about the most overrated song in the history of U2.  How about his line - "I did not notice the passers-by and they did not notice me."  awful

Overrated where and how?

Boom Cha!

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 11:51:07 AM »

Cheers,

J

The history of U2? Really?

This song has never been played live, I've never heard it on the radio, I've never heard anyone talk about it outside of U2 fans.... ???

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 12:02:33 PM »

Cheers,

J

Tell me what you think is wrong about that line. And btw you shouldn't feel proud that Jick agrees with you about anything.

Offline RobBankRobber

• Refugee
  • I kissed your lips and broke your heart.
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 12:05:28 PM »
I like these lyrics more than any of 'Sometimes' lyrics:

"I’ve been in every black hole
At the altar of the dark star
My body’s now a begging bowl
That’s begging to get back
Begging to get back to my heart
To the rhythm of my soul
To the rhythm of my unconsciousness
To the rhythm that yearns
To be released from control"

They connect with me. But hey, that's just me.

No one's opinion is wrong.

joegtheog

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2009, 12:06:11 PM »

No one's opinion is wrong.

This is the best point of all. 

Offline u2matters

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2009, 12:06:19 PM »
"And btw you shouldn't feel proud that Jick agrees with you about anything." - oh, so true.

Offline u2bonoman

• Refugee
  • Gone the way of the caveman.
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2009, 12:08:04 PM »
Moment Of Surrender was done in one take. 

Ok?

It is heavily buried in Eno's ambient synths.  

So?

The chord pattern is repetetive

Guess you're not a fan of With or Without You, huh?

the drumming is uninspired

Your opinion. Sounds good to me within the context of the entire song.

the guitars are not as present.

So? Maybe every song doesn't have to have guitars as the predominant instrument.

Bono sings nonsensical lyrics.  

They sure aren't nonsensical to me.

Bono's voice sounds like a strained duck.

Sounds good to me... very raw and passionate.

The music is not entirely attributable to U2, but partly to Eno and Lanois - see the credits.

So? MOST of U2's music is not entirely attributable to U2. It's just that this album actually gives credit where it's due.

Sometimes You Can't Make It has an interesting chord progression.  

Really? Seems pretty common for U2.

Bono builds to that operatic voice.  

Bono sounds about a billion times better on MOS. A billion.

The lyircs are so personal and gut-wrenching.

Don't forget plain and forgettable. And you're calling the lyrics in MOS nonsensical?

The song builds to a peak and goes down on a valley.

What?

There is direction, there is personality, there is intimacy.

On Moment of Surrender.

I like both songs, but I'm baffled how anyone could honestly think that the plain old, non-poetic lyrics of SYCMIOYO are better than the lyrics on MOS.

Offline u2matters

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2009, 12:13:23 PM »
nicely said Bonoman.

My body’s now a begging bowl
That’s begging to get back
Begging to get back to my heart
To the rhythm of my soul
To the rhythm of my unconsciousness
To the rhythm that yearns
To be released from control"

for me - these are some of the finest lyric Bono has ever allowed our ears to hear. Miles ahead of anything from Sometimes. MOS as a song is better on many levels - for me personally. You can shove the Grammy it won't get - as long as I get to keep the song. Nothing else matters.

Offline drummer120

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Always wear a safety belt!
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2009, 12:14:33 PM »
Hmm ... I think I'll sit on the fence, I say tie.

Same here.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2009, 12:15:24 PM »
I wouldn't want to diss SYCMIOYO's lyrics - they are simple and straight to the point - and deeply personal. MoS are more abstract and interesting to the listener though.

joegtheog

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2009, 12:16:37 PM »
Jick's "logic" chip must have blown now.  "Sometimes", the sales juggernaut, is outvoted here by "MOS" the wretched song?  Impossible.

Offline u2matters

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2009, 12:18:36 PM »
Jick's "logic" chip must have blown now.  "Sometimes", the sales juggernaut, is outvoted here by "MOS" the wretched song?  Impossible.

his logic is based on things I don't care about - and thus, irrelevant to me

joegtheog

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2009, 12:19:34 PM »

his logic is based on things I don't care about - and thus, irrelevant to me

It's called hypocrisy.  He's already been called out on it many times.  He is now officially a joke, and a non-funny one at that.