Poll

Will you spoil your setlist before your show? checking online to see what songs will likely be played?

Yep
37 (57.8%)
No
15 (23.4%)
I don't know
12 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: Will you spoil your setlist before your show?  (Read 3863 times)

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
Will you spoil your setlist before your show?
« on: May 01, 2009, 10:36:55 PM »
My show(s) are in October, so there's no way i'm gonna be able to wait till then, I remember i looked at the setlists for popmart, not sure about elevation tour, vertigo i resisted temptation, i only remember because when they played "Running To Stand Still" i was so shocked tears nearly came to my eyes.

Offline onetreehill

• Up With the Sun
  • to the rhythm of my soul
Re: Will you spoil your setlist before your show?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 11:27:51 PM »
No NO and NO!!!!

I did not know anything about the Popmart show and was surprised and lived in the moment of the show!!  I cheated for the Virtigo tour and it didn't seem quite as fun and spontanious for me (of course I have only been to 5 U2 shows in my life, but there are certain songs you all know which ones I mean that are staples that of course I knew I would hear)  However the end of the Virtigo show I was at they played Bad......not one they played at shows before, so I was thrilled with that one.

so this is turning into a long response..........but NO I am going to try to not see any set lists or watch any You Tube footage from the Europe shows before my show in Sept.................(boy I hope I can do it!!!)

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 12:27:40 AM »
I am really not sure. This will be my first U2 shows, so the temptation will certainly be there. I normally hate spoilers in books and movies, so maybe my self control will be strong enough.

Check back with us after the European shows start.

Birdlover

Offline larrys pants

• Stateless
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 02:40:28 AM »
No because I'll be at the opening night !!!! How smug am I !

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 06:06:20 AM »
I'm going to do everything in my power not to look at the setlist beforehand! However, I will definitely be taking a sneak peek at the stage. ;D

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 08:56:17 AM »
I'll try not but did for the Vertigo tour and almost what was being played and when before they did! Actually come to think of it it kind of spoiled things for me  ???

countrygirl

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 08:57:02 AM »
It will absolutely kill me to not take a peek at the setlist.  this is my first u2 concert (OCT. 1st)  I don't want to know everything, but I do want to peek.

Offline MirrorballMoon

• Running to Stand Still
  • "Just wait until you get to Minneapolis!" - Bono
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 09:05:18 AM »
I'm taking a casual U2 fan and a non-U2 fan with me to the concert so I want to know which songs I have to be sure they know.  I can't deal with people asking me "What song is this?" during a concert!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Offline wrldchamps04

• Numb
  • ^^rock n roll perfection^^
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 11:41:16 AM »
I'd love to ignore the lists/details.......and if the tour started in the US....I probably would....given that it starts in June.......no chance...I don't have that much self control.....

Offline ABloodRedSky

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • We're sorry, we're closed for lunch.
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 08:11:43 PM »
This forum will probably have set-lists plastered all over. Will be kind of hard to ignore :)

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 08:41:45 PM »
As long as the threads are properly labelled, we should be able to dodge them. No?

I've gotten very good at avoiding movie spoilers.  ;D

Birdlover

Offline dangerous and honest

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Outside its a car park! Outside its a car park!
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 01:59:44 AM »

I was just discussing this very subject with my friend yesterday.

I won't be able to resist it I'm afraid. Never have been able to - too interested in song order/ new songs being played etc.

Plus, as has been pointed out, all forums and U2 sites I visit will have the info anyway. U2.com even carried night-by-night reviews of the Vertigo tour.

Will you all be able to resist You Tube for dodgy video/audio though?

Offline cathalmc

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 02:33:46 AM »

Absolutely not! I've always carefully avoided news of set lists before seeing the concert. I'm thinking of trying to get a ticket for Barcelona or Paris if I can rustle one up so I may not actually have to avoid the discussions.

I think U2 have mixed set lists up quite a bit though between tour legs so the US one may be quite different to Europe's.

Offline dougie

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • A Bozo on the bus going nowhere!
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2009, 11:43:02 AM »
Like others have said, they should shake up the set list a bit.  It would be very boring if every night was the same.  Changing 3-5 songs gives the chance for them to play many of the songs in their catalogue. I know just hearing a special song that particular night (like Bad, Wild Horses or All I Want is You for example) makes the event extra special for me.

Offline analogk

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • My picture of Edge in 2005.
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2009, 03:29:50 PM »
I answer 'Yep'

Avoiding setlists is getting more difficult these days.  I won't see them until September so I'll take a peek. Once the 2nd leg starts though I'm going to try to avoid looking at the setlists.  Sorry u2tours.com.  I'll probably have to avoid this part of the forum too because I'm sure someone will post the setlists or even have a topic asking "what did you think of the live version of (insert song here)?"  :D