Poll

Will you spoil your setlist before your show? checking online to see what songs will likely be played?

Yep
37 (57.8%)
No
15 (23.4%)
I don't know
12 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: Will you spoil your setlist before your show?  (Read 3862 times)

InThisHeartland

Re: Will you spoil your setlist before your show?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2009, 03:41:11 PM »
i have already caved in on not seeing the stage, so i probably won't last...  :D

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
  • I'm Wide Awake....I'm Not Sleeping
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2009, 08:36:29 PM »
not only will i check out the setlists, i will download all the shows from u2start when they are available (within days of each show).  in fact, I hope that there is a thread on this forum like there is on GreasyLake.org (a Springsteen website) where there is a real-time update/discussion of the setlist as the show is going on (people texting titles of songs as they are being performed).

Offline Witsa

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2009, 09:07:09 PM »
I will check out a few set lists, see how the setlist differs from last tour. 
It will be interesting to see how the new songs fit in with the classics, and see if any
of the not so often songs are brought back in.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2009, 09:08:33 PM »
I will definitely check! I just can't wait !!

Offline onetreehill

• Up With the Sun
  • to the rhythm of my soul
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2009, 09:14:50 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

:o :o :o :o :o :o

WHAT???????

This from the ONLY person that held out for the release of the new album?

Well SG I am NOT listening/ seeing/ looking/ engaging in any conversation about/ or learning about ANYTHING about the new tour........I hope I can be strong? 

Offline Cigar

• Wanderer
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2009, 07:56:38 AM »
Heck! think about those like me that will have to wait untill 2010 to see the show.How on earth are we gonna be able to not check for the next.....14-15 months.

Offline Chrisedge

• Wanderer
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2009, 10:45:35 AM »
I will be tuning in on the 30th...waiting for setlists, audio, video, everything. Nothing "spoils" a LIVE U2 show. Even knowing the exact setlist wouldn't spoil me...

-Chris

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2009, 03:21:50 PM »
Definitely checking the setlists, I always like to know what to expect. Also helped with positioning myself in the ellipse, like knowing where and when Bono was going to do his drum solo on Vertigo.
Knowing what was next didn't spoil it for me ,  but Bono has promised to mix it up this year so even the most obsessive setlist checker may be thrown a few curves by their sets this time.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2009, 03:28:57 PM »

:o :o :o :o :o :o

WHAT???????

This from the ONLY person that held out for the release of the new album?

Well SG I am NOT listening/ seeing/ looking/ engaging in any conversation about/ or learning about ANYTHING about the new tour........I hope I can be strong? 

I am surprised I made it with the album release onetree! I am  usually the type of person that would peak at a gift if I found it!! LOL!  Good luck to you and stay STRONG!!!! ;)

daveyg

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2009, 04:01:39 AM »
Ive always 90% known what the set list and roughly what order way back to pre-internet days. Part of the enjoyment IMO

Offline seano0513

• Babyface
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2009, 09:45:28 PM »
I'm seeing the 2 Giants Stadium shows which are so far from now.  I will be strong and not look.  I've seen the last 3 tours' opening nights so I'm not used to being patient.  I'll be checking every show's setlist after Giants #2 (I expect to hear at least 4-5 different songs on the 2nd night like they did for Vertigo night twos).  If it's super-static like Popmart and Zoo TV, I'll be really bummed.

Offline judas1

• Babyface
  • Just had Bono sign this in NY 3/3 album release
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2009, 12:11:27 PM »
I agree, I've been to over 35 shows, and I'm a big fan of the twilight singers/Afghan Whigs.  I just read an article from the lead singer, Gregg Dulli, and he said the internet killed the live experience, everyone knew what was being played and some of the excitement he saw on people's eyes were gone.  So, for the first time, I'm going to ignore the set list, which is going to be hard, cause I'm going to monitor in case the GA changes, wish me luck.

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2009, 03:34:53 PM »
I've been giving this some thought. If I go to the show knowing what is to be played, or hoping for this song or that, it will distract from the actual experience.
So I'm not only going to try and ignore any reports/videos from the tour, I'm not even allowing myself to hope for specific songs.
On my way home I expect to be going, "Oh, they didn't play X" which will be a lot better than hoping for "X" all night long.

At least I think that's how it will play out. I could lose my nerve and gobble up each and every tidbit between now and Sept 12. ::)

Birdlover

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2009, 11:38:28 AM »
I'll definitely avoid setlists until I see them  just like the album review b/c I want to be surprised. 
And how many surprises are there in life?   That said, I will definitely check out a few European videos for some sense of the staging & venue seating so I can best choose which tix I want to keep & use for myself!   ;D  That'll take a huge surprise element out of it for sure but  leaves more than enough to speculate and get excited about.  Seeing them live is pretty exciting in itself but for me, not knowing exactly what they'll play is part of the thrill. 

Offline drummer120

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Always wear a safety belt!
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2009, 02:46:56 PM »
I probably will. Where can I find it.