Poll

What's more Important in a U2 song: Lyrics or Music?

The Music
21 (67.7%)
The Lyrics
10 (32.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: What's more Important in a U2 song: Lyrics or Music?  (Read 8299 times)

Offline Dark Angel

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Oh HAI
Re: What's more Important in a U2 song: Lyrics or Music?
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2008, 07:06:25 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm with StrongGirl.  For me, it's about the lyrics.  the music is a frame for the message.  i agree that s**t music framing incredible lyrics is meaningless.  But what always has drawn me in was the sheer poetry of Bono's lyrics, set into a beautiful frame.  Even when I was young, and didn't understand the lyrics (Unforgettable Fire, anyone?), I was entranced by the pictures they created in my head.  That's why I've never been in love with COBL.  I know it's a favorite of a lot of people, and the music is incredible.  However, the lyrics just don't move me.  So I'm meh on the whole song.  (There, StrongGirl.  Now lyrics, has 2 votes!)

Who does understand Unforgettable fire?

anywho, I agree with you and StrongGirl but I do believe what makes a good song is the melody.  However, with U2s music the lyrics are beautiful but the melodies are even better.

Offline BeneathTheNoise

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2008, 07:08:50 AM »
Sometimes the music is goofy & the lyrics are cool (The Wanderer), but sometimes the music is cool, & the lyrics are goofy (Miami!). Luckily, neither is the case with 99% of U2 songs, and both elements are equally present. :)

Offline MirrorballMoon

• Running to Stand Still
  • "Just wait until you get to Minneapolis!" - Bono
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2008, 09:03:54 AM »
I'm a musician (make my living as a classical pianist, not that that matters, it just explains where I'm coming from), so if I like a band the music has to be %$#%! amazing, or at least I have to think it is.  But what makes U2 "extra special" is the lyrics.  Great music is the baseline, what has to be there for me to listen at all.  But for a group to become a favorite, there has to be more.  And U2 is at the top of my list because they simply combine all the elements better than anyone.  IMO of course.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008, 12:49:57 PM »
Wow, thanks yooper!  3 more votes for the lyrics. I know one place where the lyrics rule- R A P.  ;D But of course the music is important and U2 does both so well so as fans, we are very lucky.

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2008, 03:16:39 PM »
Music. When I started listening to U2 I didn't speak much English, but I got hooked. I watched a video of the Red Rocks concert and didn't catch a word they were saying, but watching them perform ,the atmosphere, the spirit of the music was very powerful and spoke to my inner being, well, you know what I mean.  ::)

Offline adam1

• Refugee
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2008, 03:56:14 PM »
Music definatly. The instruments, melody, production, singing. What the lyrics say does'nt really concern me. Look at something like 'I am the Walrus' by the Beatles. The lyrics are complete nonsense but it was rated as their 3rd best song ever in a recent poll. Elevation was voted as having some of the worst lyrics ever, but it's still a good song as it sounds good.

Offline ProofThatThisIsReal

• Party Girl/Boy
  • That's no moon...
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2008, 04:31:16 PM »
Wow, thanks yooper!  3 more votes for the lyrics. I know one place where the lyrics rule- R A P.  ;D But of course the music is important and U2 does both so well so as fans, we are very lucky.

Ugh, rap, that's probably one reason why I think the music is what's more important, because I detest rap.  But this isn't a discussion about rap so-, here's another question I have-

Many people said that they do not like "Elvis Presley and America" because the lyrics are improvised and mumbled and don't apparently mean anything. Others like it because of that fact.  I actually like this song because of the atmosphericnessism of it, I guess, and the music, not the improvised lyrics.  I'm thinking that many of people who don't like it are people who think that the lyrics are the most important to a song, since the music isn't very bad in my opinion.  This is just a guess so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. 

Offline God, Part II

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Rock and roll doggie!!!
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2008, 04:48:43 PM »
Many people said that they do not like "Elvis Presley and America" because the lyrics are improvised and mumbled and don't apparently mean anything. Others like it because of that fact.  I actually like this song because of the atmosphericnessism of it, I guess, and the music, not the improvised lyrics.  I'm thinking that many of people who don't like it are people who think that the lyrics are the most important to a song, since the music isn't very bad in my opinion.  This is just a guess so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. 

As someone who loves EPaA, I think you're spot on.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2008, 05:19:56 PM »
I won't get into rap either and I personally don't care for it, but I just want to say that it is a very important  to some people. Expressing themselves through their words with a beat is "their music". It is not my music but I must show respect for it as I would for heavy metal, jazz, country or any other style of music. Just my opinion and I don't mean to anger anyone.

luieu2

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2008, 05:30:27 PM »
i heard a version of mothers of the disappeared with no music just bonos voice it was awsome i say lyric. ;)

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2008, 05:58:13 PM »
Music. When I started listening to U2 I didn't speak much English, but I got hooked. I watched a video of the Red Rocks concert and didn't catch a word they were saying, but watching them perform ,the atmosphere, the spirit of the music was very powerful and spoke to my inner being, well, you know what I mean.  ::)

Starfish, are you saying you're not an English speaker by birth?  :o   I figured you were American or British.  What the heck?  You are an International Woman of Mystery.  So, where are you actually from and what language do you normally speak?  I'm intrigued! 

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2008, 06:04:04 PM »
Me too!  ???

Offline ProofThatThisIsReal

• Party Girl/Boy
  • That's no moon...
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2008, 08:36:41 PM »
I won't get into rap either and I personally don't care for it, but I just want to say that it is a very important  to some people. Expressing themselves through their words with a beat is "their music". It is not my music but I must show respect for it as I would for heavy metal, jazz, country or any other style of music. Just my opinion and I don't mean to anger anyone.

Thank you. So few understand that, even if I myself can't stand rap.  Besides, it's just what people are grown up with usually.  When you think about it though, what might music be in the year 2095?  Just how many new styles can they come up with?  Hurts your head to imagine it.  Kind of like trying to think of an entirely new color that no one's ever seen before, no shades of anything, just a completely new color...that'd be weird.  Okay, back to topic-

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2008, 12:54:35 AM »

Starfish, are you saying you're not an English speaker by birth?  :o   I figured you were American or British.  What the heck?  You are an International Woman of Mystery.  So, where are you actually from and what language do you normally speak?  I'm intrigued! 

;)  All is quiet on New Year's Day

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2008, 04:58:55 AM »
Both. But why can't we tick both in the poll?
Great music is nowhere near as great with crappy lyrics and great lyrics are nowhere near as great with crappy music than great music and great lyrics joined together.
I don't see a song in U2's catalogue that has the quality level of words and music differ greatly, but unfortunately, that doesn't mean all songs are good. Still, when they're great, they're very great.