Author Topic: Would U2's next album be better if...  (Read 2450 times)

Offline AudaciousU2

• Wanderer
Would U2's next album be better if...
« on: May 08, 2009, 04:20:38 PM »
...Bono were really to learn how to play the guitar and The Edge were to take over some of the lead vocals?

Would this brand of musicianship help the band find that next level we are all anticipating them to reach?

jimyjazz

Re: Would U2's next album be better if...
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 04:50:26 PM »
Great idea! Edge has a great voice and Bono playing more guitar could help them get away from that chimey stuff that they've gone back to again and again.

Offline Vincent

• Wanderer
  • I Found The Sound That Drowns Out The World
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 04:58:39 PM »
Bono's Knows Guitar :-\

LOL

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 02:24:26 AM »
I'd love for Edge to have at least one vocal on Songs of Ascent and I also think he should play around with new sounds since the past 3 albums have had a lot of typical Edge guitar chime, which I don't think it's bad but he's overusing a bit.

Offline TheFly

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 06:55:09 AM »
I don't think Edge singing lead too much would be the best idea as it's Bono's voice that makes U2 U2, in the same way with the Edge's guitar. One vocal of Edge's would be great, though. I'm not sure Bono playing more guitar would be great either - it might take away that special thing that makes the music what it is.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 08:09:08 AM »
Maybe have a song with lyric set up like Seconds where Edge sang the first two verses.

Bono does know guitar, maybe they could teach him so rythmic stuff, it would be nice to have him and Edge at once playing in a few songs.

I'd like Bono to play more piano parts, and have a song using his opera voice.

Offline cathalmc

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 09:38:33 AM »

No, no and thrice no. Bono has the best voice. Edge is the best guitar player. Although they do both double up as quite adequate reserves for each other.

What's this next level for U2? Millions more albums sold? Or less albums sold but even more devoted fans? I think they've done both enough times.

Offline wrldchamps04

• Numb
  • ^^rock n roll perfection^^
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »
While I would like to hear a song or two with Edge on lead vocals, only if he's the best choice for the song...not just "because"...

Offline AudaciousU2

• Wanderer
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 01:52:37 PM »
Interesting replies...

I believe that if Bono were to really learn to play the guitar (and no- he doesnot currently know how to sufficiently play) that it will help him in his writing.  One of the problems with NLOTH is that very often Bono's lyrics do not fit the sound of the song- they are forced, contrived, and just plain awkward.  Learning to play guitar will make him a better songwriter.

The Edge has a beautiful voice.  "Fly On The Wall"- had it right about "Seconds"- I bet there are people out there that think it is Bono's voice throughout the song.  And that is not a slight; there is a similiar timbre between Bono's and Edge's voice.  Giving The Edge a lead vocal would possibly give a song a dynamic that U2 has not fully discovered.

Possibly, The Edge having a lead vocal will also inspire his guitar playing, song writing and innovation.... 

Reaching the next level is not about selling records, but creating breathtaking art.  It is about musicianship and for U2 to continue to be vibrant. 

Offline adam1

• Refugee
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 03:14:21 PM »
It would be something different. But not to done just for the sake of it. A song would have to suit Edge's vocals more than Bono's.

Offline scheming_some_sheme

• Babyface
  • well here we are -- the irish in america
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 09:33:02 PM »
why not have an everybody-switch-song 

bono takes the bass
edge sings
larry takes lead guitar and contributes some falsetto "oo la las" in the background
and adam can sort of hang out with the drums

clearly its the only logical next more.

bringing a whole new meaning to the term "experimental"

joegtheog

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 09:46:44 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

bono takes the bass
edge sings
larry takes lead guitar and contributes some falsetto "oo la las" in the background

THey should do this for "40".  :D

Offline scheming_some_sheme

• Babyface
  • well here we are -- the irish in america
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 09:54:21 PM »

bono takes the bass
edge sings

THey should do this for "40".  :D

oh dear. hahahha

its a good thing everyone would be singing along

theyd need all the help they can get. ;)

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 12:56:50 AM »
Larry did more vocals and Bono would play guitar more.  I got excited when I seen him playing his guitar during that Lanois film, it sounded like he was really trying. 

Achtung40Life

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 09:01:13 AM »
Edges voice has not be helping U2 the way it has in the past. Yeah sure, he does get to back up some choruses in Moment of Surrender and Breathe, but it's not like what it used to be. I would love to see Edge take a spot on a couple songs where his vocals 'make' the song. I mean, what would The Fly be without the chorus, and what would Lemon be without him saying 'midnight is where the day begins.' Speaking of that, I would love to hear Bono go high as he did in Lemon, Numb, and Dirty Day. I miss those days... So do I want Edge to have a lead vocals song: not necessarily, but I do want Edge to be Edge!