Author Topic: if u2 needed a 5 member who would you pick and why dont say yourself please  (Read 7490 times)

Offline connyb

• Wanderer
I think Boyd Tinsley from Dave Matthews Band would be an excellent addition. He's a great fiddle player and I think it would be great to have a fiddle player in the band for Sunday Bloody Sunday and Drowning Man. Plus I think it would give another layer of flavor musically to the band.

Achtung40Life

Eno

Offline davis

• Stateless
There already is a 5th member of U2--Terry Lawless. He plays keyboards throughout the live show (this isn't his first tour with the band, either).  He's been present with them in the studio too.  The great majority of U2 songs since the mid 80's have keyboard parts.  Live, they're either pre-recorded or played by Terry.  I'm not sure why they don't bring him on stage, at least for keyboard-dominant songs like Unknown Caller and Moment of Surrender.

Offline proctorsilex

• Babyface
danny lanois

Offline ZooTV8

• Stateless
I am assuming that this question is spawn from others also reading this week’s Rolling Stone magazine article on “what broke up The Beatles?” 

The question is “Who would be the best choice to be the ‘Fifth Member’ of U2?”  However, I’d like to turn this question on its head a bit, postulating who IS the ‘Fifth Member’ of U2, because it seems that there have been many revolving members in the band, as well as others who are deserving of this tile.

Technically, from a business standpoint, Paul McGinnis is the “fifth member of U2,” as he receives an equal portion of revenue as the other four members of the band.  Therefore, let’s look at this question from a strictly musical perspective.  Eno and Lanois are the most logical choices, but there several other individuals who may also qualify for this distinction:

T-Bone Burnett: One of the world’s greatest, well-connected, and most influential music producers.  Aside from recording songs with Bono, T-Bone acted as a consultant to U2 during the recording of The Joshua Tree and introduced the band to several other influential artists, including:

Robbie Robertson: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee, recorded two songs with U2, very closely connected to Jimmy Iovin, president of Universal Records, whose friendship was important to the “Rattle and Hum” film receiving the “green light”, as well as a possible connection to securing Bob Dylan to appear on the album of the same name.

Joe O' Herlihy: U2’s soundman, indispensable to achieving the “U2 sound” in the studio and on the road. 

Steve Lillywhite: Collaborator and producer (or “additional production”) on many of the band’s most important and memorable songs.

Willie Williams: U2’s show and lighting desgner, indispensable in creating U2’s unique touring spectacles. 

Sinead O’Connor: While a stretch, she is a long-time friend of the band, collaborator on several tracks, possible inspiration for the song “Please,” and often a point-counter-point point of reference for many of Bono’s religious-inspired lyrics.

Terry Lawless: Finally received official musical credits for his playing on the NLOTH album, Terry has played organ/keyboards on every U2 tour since ZooTV. 

Dallas Schoo: Edge’s guitar tech, responsible for the minute-by-minute technical capabilities of “The Edge Orchestra,” Dallas also plays “wha-wha” pedal during live versions of Mysterious Ways (as well as augmenting other songs). 

Four5One Creative: U2’s design team since the beginning, and Steve Averill came up with the name “U-2”.  Steve and Shaughn McGrath, Senior Designer, have been instrumental in creating and re-creating the band’s image –and they’re both all around phenomenally nice men! 

Finally, and I personally think that this individual IS the “Fifth Member of U2”: The band doesn’t put an song on an album or consider an element of their live shows without close consultation with their close personal friend and advisor, Gavin Friday.  Gavin is referred to as the bands’ “midwife,” because he helps to bring a lot of their creative ideas in to the world. 

satellitedog01

Although I consider this topic nonsensical, and I'm being polite, coz I wanted to write: (since there's no white for text color to hide spoilers I'll just type it in ) "I think you're all miserable Wa***rs" (aside from the guy suggesting Andy Diagram, but I think James make good use of him)

Henry Rollins live on stage would be interesting. Or a big effin robot-beatboxer.

On a more respectful and serious note though: aside from any quality wind-instrument player (saxophone excluded), or non-irish violinist, only Lou Reed or Leonard Cohen (Don't even mention Springsteen, please, fans) may be cool enough not to suck Major Balls, and could provide some better lyrics.  And these two guys have better things to do, luckily. Maybe a big effin robot-beatboxer just for the fun of it, or Bender from Futurama.

Live horns, or maybe some form of chamber orchestra would be a much better idea than a "star-player" dropped in for added interest.

Best to all,
M.

Offline Starguitar

• Desert Rose
  • Thanks U2 & the 360 tour for the best night ever.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think a rapper/hip hop artist would bring something new to U2 - maybe someone like Roots Manuva.

Failing that - Noel Gallagher - I hear he's looking for a new job ;)

Ha ha, Noel Gallagher. Brilliant.  :D

Offline K2

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • light my way
I second the nomination for Terry Lawless - maybe not as an official "member" of the band - but certainly as a fifth member on stage when they're on tour. I'd like to see him on stage - I don't like the idea of people playing back up off stage where they can't be seen.

Offline P-FLO

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Outside It's America.
For a rapper or beatboxer, Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park or Blake Lewis would do nicely, since they're both talented artists. If they ever added techno/electro elements, they could take on Basshunter, Justice, or the Benassi Bros. And for an extra singer, Amy Lee or Serj Tankian would fit well.

Offline Jono

• Running to Stand Still
  • Nice job by #MoteeShoe
Andrea Corrs, imagine the 3 way harmony
Melissa Ertheridge, true guitar and vocal passion
My 6 yo guitar bangin daughter Meghan

yep, i know...it's way to hard to picture a gal on stage with the boys!!

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
Finally, and I personally think that this individual IS the “Fifth Member of U2”: The band doesn’t put an song on an album or consider an element of their live shows without close consultation with their close personal friend and advisor, Gavin Friday.  Gavin is referred to as the bands’ “midwife,” because he helps to bring a lot of their creative ideas in to the world.

Thanks ZooTV8!  You took the words right out of my mouth!  Gavin is a amazing talent. I have been a fan for years. SG

satellitedog01

Yeah Gavin is the cool one in U2.

Offline Yukona [The League of Extraordinary Bonopeople]

• Staring at the Sun
  • too much is not enough
How come no one's mentioned the original fifth member of the band...d**k Evans? By all accounts and from what we've heard of him by Edge's description, he's an amazing guitar player. Granted that might be little brother idol-worship there(heh), but still, the dude taught Edge guitar! That says something I think.

Achtung40Life

I change my initial answer from Eno to Fat Joe, I believe he has more range than Eno and would give U2 the magic touch they've been missing since Achtung Baby. I'm still hoping he'll join them in the studio to finish Songs of Ascent, but I'm sure he'll advise them to change the title to Pants of Descent with lead single 'Every Breaking Belt' You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I change my initial answer from Eno to Fat Joe, I believe he has more range than Eno and would give U2 the magic touch they've been missing since Achtung Baby. I'm still hoping he'll join them in the studio to finish Songs of Ascent, but I'm sure he'll advise them to change the title to Pants of Descent with lead single 'Every Breaking Belt' You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Who you callin' fat?

:P