Author Topic: U2 shirt at Walmart!  (Read 36703 times)

daveyg

Re: U2 shirt at Walmart!
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2009, 09:40:57 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
In Ireland we dont have Walmart at all, and I went shopping for a U2 t shirt this weekend. My supplies of U2 t shirts are from my teenage days in the 80s and are now being worn my my kids (they wouldnt fit me anyway!). Guess what? Not a single shop sold U2 t shirts! In Dublin of all places. Now unless there's some backstreet under the counter venue everyone else but me knows about, you can't buy a U2 t shirt in the shops in Dublin! They were everywhere way back when I was young! sigh

Hi Davey!

trust me it is not such a bad thing not to have even one Walmart at all in Dublin!!

Sorry about the shirts, that stinks, you would think they would have something, I bet as the concert series gets closer and more tourists are coming over for the show there will be more for sale?

Did you try the internet? or here there are some actual "record shops" on the college campus that has some "vintage" stuff *sighs over the fact that her high school era is considered "vintage"*

actually I live near a university - I might go a wandering there this evening.

I'm apparently very vintage, so I get keep being told. 80s memoribillia is not cool for 15 year olds these days lol

Offline onetreehill

• Up With the Sun
  • to the rhythm of my soul
« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2009, 09:42:59 AM »
In Ireland we dont have Walmart at all, and I went shopping for a U2 t shirt this weekend. My supplies of U2 t shirts are from my teenage days in the 80s and are now being worn my my kids (they wouldnt fit me anyway!). Guess what? Not a single shop sold U2 t shirts! In Dublin of all places. Now unless there's some backstreet under the counter venue everyone else but me knows about, you can't buy a U2 t shirt in the shops in Dublin! They were everywhere way back when I was young! sigh

Hi Davey!

trust me it is not such a bad thing not to have even one Walmart at all in Dublin!!

Sorry about the shirts, that stinks, you would think they would have something, I bet as the concert series gets closer and more tourists are coming over for the show there will be more for sale?

Did you try the internet? or here there are some actual "record shops" on the college campus that has some "vintage" stuff *sighs over the fact that her high school era is considered "vintage"*

I'm apparently very vintage, so I get keep being told. 80s memoribillia is not cool for 15 year olds these days lol

::)  whatever!  lol

Offline Allegra

• Wanderer
  • Dallas, Texas
« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2009, 03:36:30 PM »
WTF?!?!?!  I'm just now reading about this!

U2 in Wal-Mart?!?!?! 

I swore I'd never step into that store ever again.

Wish they had these in Target.

Remember U27?

*sigh*

I miss those days.

Fudge...gotta step into a Wal-Mart...damn it.

Offline achtung jeff

• Wanderer
« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2009, 09:50:05 PM »
I *just* saw this tee today at Rue 21. As I was not in "personal shopping mode" I passed. Rue 21 price is $15.99 and NO RS subscription. They had the Aerosmith, Jimmy Hendrix and Stones versions but I didn't see any of the others mentioned. Sadly when I saw those I thought, man, these guys are either savvy cash machines or have simply become a commodity (prolly a little of both). Then, whoa!, there were the boys up there on a display with stunningly ubiquitous wrinkly button down shirt.  Hmmmm. I had to rethink that whole commodity/cash macnine thought for a sec.

I don't know if my mind has changed but this was the first time I've seen our boys jump into this fray. Dunno. Maybe we'll start seeing old War or Joshua Tree tees next to all the Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Kiss, et al. tees.  It'll be another way for an increasingly aging U2 (gasp!) to keep in front of teens and 20-somethings.

Plus Rolling Stone mag has a few interesting things going on here too: selling their old covers AND coming up with a unique subscription promotion. It's a new revenue stream for them. From a fan's perspective, you KNOW U2 will get a cover in the next 12 months and a freebie Rolling Stone U2 mag is worth $5 right there. Coming from a marketing guy, this is quite the cross-promotion for a paper magazine in an era where most all print mags are dying on the vine. They need cash and subscribers, this might help with both.

Of course, with all that said, I can't say that I won't be heading to Walmart tomorrow. I have the perfect button down wrinkly shirt to wear it with...

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #94 on: May 25, 2009, 10:49:40 PM »

What's this world coming to, heh?

daveyg

« Reply #95 on: May 26, 2009, 01:31:13 AM »

Hi Davey!

::)  whatever!  lol

hehehe - just going on what I get told at home   "that's sooooo 80s" *nose in air*

zip

« Reply #96 on: May 26, 2009, 10:29:31 AM »
The Johnny Cash is in black, too bad they didn't have black for U2, slimming effect, you know.  :-[

THEY HAVE A JC ONE TOO !!!! ? sheesh ! sounds like another trp in.......I was so focused the other day to get the U2 one I didn't even poke through the rest........

Offline RobBankRobber

• Refugee
  • I kissed your lips and broke your heart.
« Reply #97 on: May 26, 2009, 12:14:13 PM »
The Johnny Cash is in black, too bad they didn't have black for U2, slimming effect, you know.  :-[

THEY HAVE A JC ONE TOO !!!! ? sheesh ! sounds like another trp in.......I was so focused the other day to get the U2 one I didn't even poke through the rest........

Johnny Cash, Nirvana, Rage Against The Machine, Kurt Cobain, Jimi Hendrix were others I noticed while there.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 12:15:44 PM by RobBankrobber »

Offline onetreehill

• Up With the Sun
  • to the rhythm of my soul
« Reply #98 on: May 26, 2009, 12:47:17 PM »

Hey zip!! yup! it seems there might be two different kinds of JC!

Offline Niterpi

• Stateless
« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2009, 12:55:28 PM »
i went to walmart yesterday and there they were so i got mine! 

$10 and a subscription to RS - that's a deal - get on it everyone!

Offline Allegra

• Wanderer
  • Dallas, Texas
« Reply #100 on: May 26, 2009, 05:02:21 PM »
I got my shirt.

I'm happy.

;D

Offline MEMORY_MAN

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I must follow the path to the endless road...
« Reply #101 on: May 26, 2009, 05:09:10 PM »
What section is it in.  I did not find it in the men's section.

Offline macphisto

• Party Girl/Boy
  • In te domine.
« Reply #102 on: May 26, 2009, 06:02:56 PM »
I'd love to have this shirt. Alas, the WalMart were I live is (as monolithic, soulless supermarkets go) extremely uncultured and has nothing close to this shirt in the Men's department. If someone can help me out, I'd be up for working out some type of way wherein I could pay you back for your trouble.

A pox on thee, Walmart.

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #103 on: May 26, 2009, 07:34:50 PM »
I'd be glad to help you out, mac.  Last time i was there, they still had some size large left.  just give me the word, and I'll pick one up for you! 

Offline Allegra

• Wanderer
  • Dallas, Texas
« Reply #104 on: May 26, 2009, 08:31:49 PM »
What section is it in.  I did not find it in the men's section.

It's in the men's department.  The shirts are on a table rack with a very tiny RS ad sign on top.  I walked right by it myself too.  If it had been a snake, it would have bitten me.  Just before I asked where it was at, I looked around slowly again one rack at a time and finally found it.  It doesn't stand out very well.  The shirts were folded in half lying flat on the stack of tables.  That's why you can see it from a distance.  Again, look for the itty bitty RS mag ad sign and you'll find them.