Author Topic: Kings of Leon vs. Stereophonics (Copyright violation?)  (Read 6500 times)

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
Kings of Leon vs. Stereophonics (Copyright violation?)
« on: May 19, 2009, 07:58:04 AM »
I'm sure many have heard Kings of Leon's single "Sex on Fire".  Cool song, but sounds eerily familiar to a song released a few years ago by Stereophonics called Dakota.  Has anybody ever that song?  They are almost one and the same.  I'm quite suprised nobody has pointed this out.  The first time I heard Sex on Fire, I couldn't help but hear Dakota in my head.  My question is how the f*** did Kings get one over Stereophonics, whereas Joe Satriani files a lawsuit against Coldplay for three notes that just happen to interval twice, at best, during his ten minutes of drivel?  I've posted links below, you gotta check it out.  The similarity is pretty obvious and amazing.  Anybody feeling me on this one?

Kings of Leon:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Stereophonics:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 08:01:38 AM by achtung child »

Offline Northern Soul

• Desert Rose
  • I'm not coming down...
Re: Kings of Leon vs. Stereophonics (Copyright violation?)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 08:11:13 AM »
Dunno, but Dakota is much, much better than Sex on Fire.

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 08:12:56 AM »
Hell yes, brother!!!

Offline Spaceman

• Child of Grace
  • Spaceman Jr.
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 08:23:05 AM »
Sorry, can't see it at all. The Sex On Fire verse is two chords, Dakota is three. Two of the chords are the same but the structure is different. Also the melody is completely different whereas Coldplay vs Satriani is pretty much the same melody. The only simillarity I can see is the tempo. Chord sequences get used time and time again, no one can claim rights to a chord sequence alone as there is only 12 root notes in music, there would be no chord sequences left thus there would be no more new music! It's the melody which is important and these two do not share the same melody.

I don't think that Coldplay stole the melody off Satriani either, I think it is just coincidence. But the melody is the same, that's a fact, not opinion.

Sex On Fire & Dekota are not the same.

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 03:30:16 PM »
we actually play both those songs in my band and they are quite different.

I think Coldplagiarism's biggest rip off was their song 'Life in Technicolor'. The piano riff is identical to Nirvana's All Apologies.

I'm surprised no-one's spotted it.

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 06:49:07 PM »
Not quite.  The progression and tempo are different.  Sterophonics and Kings of Leon have a similar sound.  Maybe that is what you are hearing?  Frankly, Dakota is a better song in my opinion. I have also seen both bands in concert and think that Sterophonics have a better sound than Kings of Leon  (( ducks when saying this)).

Offline TheWaqman

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 08:39:04 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
we actually play both those songs in my band and they are quite different.

I think Coldplagiarism's biggest rip off was their song 'Life in Technicolor'. The piano riff is identical to Nirvana's All Apologies.

I'm surprised no-one's spotted it.

Well that plagiarism suit goes to Jon Hopkins then. Because Coldplay sampled his song Light Through The Veins

Offline donvalley360

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 04:46:33 AM »
To be honest,i love both bands,i doubt very much there was any attempt to plaguerise dakota

Offline Spaceman

• Child of Grace
  • Spaceman Jr.
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 06:17:19 AM »
I don't know why people get so hung over about this sort of stuff. I think if someone blatantly steals someone elses tune without permission then yes, that is clearly wrong. But generally I think musicions should just accept the fact that chord sequences, progressions and melodies are all limited to 12 root notes so they WILL get used time & time again. Satriani should just get over himself, stop being so jealous of Coldplay's success and go back to wanking his guitar off.

And believe me as similar as SOF & Dakota sound, they are not the same. At all.

Offline TheWaqman

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 04:05:49 PM »
Dakota and SOF are very different.

And Satriani is a wa**er.

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 03:49:11 AM »
I'm not too sure, but I definitely prefer Dakota over SOF.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 05:44:21 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I don't know why people get so hung over about this sort of stuff. I think if someone blatantly steals someone elses tune without permission then yes, that is clearly wrong. But generally I think musicions should just accept the fact that chord sequences, progressions and melodies are all limited to 12 root notes so they WILL get used time & time again. Satriani should just get over himself, stop being so jealous of Coldplay's success and go back to wanking his guitar off.

And believe me as similar as SOF & Dakota sound, they are not the same. At all.

Agreed, there's a lot of ego-tripping with this sort of stuff. On very few occasions will an artist consciously copy another.

Offline paulinche0102

• Babyface
  • Well, I've been to this one....
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 02:00:28 AM »
Dunno......I like both bands :)