Author Topic: The false promise of better setlists !!  (Read 2246 times)

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
The false promise of better setlists !!
« on: May 21, 2009, 01:55:40 AM »
"How much will the show change night to night?

Our shows start to kind of connect in a very emotional and organic way, and those connections between songs, the segues, start to become like mini-movements or acts within a play. So one or two songs will be different per night, but not like eight songs per night."
From the Rolling Stone article

In an interview with Zane Lowe a couple of months ago, they said they were aware of predictability in their sets and would introduce more changes, so I do feel a bit deceived when Edge is now saying one or two will change per night.

Anyone else feeling a bit let down................

Offline tacoisahotburito

• Stateless
Re: The false promise of better setlists !!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 02:28:59 AM »
Yes ...
Not only because I will see about 6 shows.
But I want them to complete the list I have with songs that I have.
Songs that I really want to here live sometime.
So, yeah, I'm disappointed. :(

Offline FishLips

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 03:45:08 AM »
Not surprised with this ... and to be honest, I'm happy with them sticking to somewhat of a script.  It's worked well for them for what ... going on 30 years now.

The only people who are set up for disappointment here are those planning to go to 3+ shows.  Kinda hard to feel bad for this select few (and I must say, if they show up in the NW US next summer, I hope to be one of the lucky ones).

Offline Malachi

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Is in cyberspace
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 04:02:20 AM »
Im not suprised either. For Me, someone who is going to see one show and it will be my first U2 show, its not a problem. I will be happy with whatever they play.

I would like to here songs like Pride and WTSHNN and Bullet, As I have never had the joy of seeing and singing along to them live.

Mal

daveyg

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 04:14:48 AM »
well the band always work off some kind of formality of a set list. Right back as far as the 80s, I knew in advance that they were gonna play X, Y and Z songs, and if they threw in an extra unexpected song, all the better. Right down to ssong order I remember what was coming next once the tour started, give or take a swap round of a song or two. Apart from financial and time off work restrictions, I couldn't see myself going to more than 2 or 3 gigs anyway and could never quite see the reasoning behind seeing basically the same show in 10 different countries that alot of fans do.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 05:23:24 AM »
I'd like a few rarities, but not at the expense of some of the classic U2 live songs. If this wasn't my first U2 concert, I may have felt differently.

Offline dougie

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • A Bozo on the bus going nowhere!
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 08:28:35 AM »
A better setlist?  It is different for most.

I have seen U2 a lot.  The last four tours I have always wanted to hear the special, rare songs.  Not so many from the 'new album'

Well, I am disappointed by the promise of only playing half the new album.

I did not want to like the new album.  I did not like some of the things the band did (moving their business from Ireland to Netherlands to save money). Paying  a lot of money for a ticket, then being told about how I should send money to other organizations; and I am paying them $150 for this.  And the biggest reason why I wanted to hate the album is  them playing stadiums.  I love arenas.  Do not like 80,000 people jammed into a stadium.  I forgot it was all about the music (at least for me).

Then, I got the album.  I love everything about it.  The winding roads most songs go through.  Incredible lyrics. Great vocals and jamming.I want to hear Edge's searing notes of these songs fill the air.  I am now traveling to see them in stadiums because of my love of the new album (and U2 themselves).   I wish they would play 7 or 8 from the new album.

Offline globaljosh

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 10:10:25 AM »
Ha, not let down at all. I'd say most U2 fans who have seen them before kind of expected this. It's OK though - complaints about "stale, predictable" setlists are part of the whole U2 tour experience! If they didn't start popping up soon, it'd be like Christmas with no Christmas tree, or... You know, something else equally disappointing. What I want to see is a well-executed show, not uncertain, maybe even somewhat sloppy playing. One thing that makes U2 shows such phenomenally successful live spectacles is that the band have a knack for keeping their crowd into it. They do this, in part, through a carefully crafted setlist. For the 2,000 or so people who'd go absolutely nuts to hear the band unearth some rare gem, there'd be about 60,000 who'd issue a collective "huh?" I went to three shows on the Vertigo tour and I recall the whole An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart sequence seemed to lure people pretty effectively to the restrooms and concessions.  I can see U2 letting the air out of the crowd's sails every now and then, but they know better than to do it too much!

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 10:24:57 AM »
The idea of mixing sets and playing a few different songs, rare or otherwise is the best way they can tip their hats to the hardcore out there, afterall if it wasn't for myself and the hundreds of thousands of dedicated fans like me they wouldn't be playing in stadiums, they would be playing in your local pub !

Offline wrldchamps04

• Numb
  • ^^rock n roll perfection^^
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 11:01:17 AM »
As a fan of The Stones, this happens ALL THE TIME....any band with a large or bigger catalog of songs will have fans (new and old) leave their shows saying "I can't believe they didn't play_____". No getting around it.Just enjoy that they're still playing together (and well I might add)after all these years.

Offline evilways811

• Stateless
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 10:27:01 AM »
It's gonna sound selfish but I'd rather them stick to a specific setlist, with minimal changes between shows. The last thing I want is to go to Giant's Stadium, and then a week later find out that they started adding Ultraviolet or some other obscure awesome song to the setlist.

Offline FishLips

• Stateless
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 11:22:17 AM »
Even bands like Pearl Jam, who switch it up quite a bit from one night to the next, get complaints about not playing this or not playing that.  Maybe I'm just wired differently than most fans, but I'm usually 100% happy with whatever I get.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 01:34:29 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's gonna sound selfish but I'd rather them stick to a specific setlist, with minimal changes between shows. The last thing I want is to go to Giant's Stadium, and then a week later find out that they started adding Ultraviolet or some other obscure awesome song to the setlist.

Ultraviolet would be more than welcome in the setlist when I see them in Dublin or Toronto.  It beats hearing Bullet, SBS, NY Day, Pride, WOWY, for the for  the 100th time.  You see I have seen every tour since the UF tour and multiple shows from each tour.  20 times in the last 2 tours alone.  It's time for drastic change in the setlist but I know it won't happen but I can always hope.  Never the less, when the lights go down and you had a few pints, it really doesn't matter.  It's all good.

Offline vickidvm

• Numb
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 01:56:07 PM »
I'm not surprised.  I was, however, somewhat hopeful that they'd switch it up a bit more when in an interview awhile back, Bono said the shows were going to be less choreographed.   Still can't wait to see them live again!

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 02:39:38 PM »
There are just so many minutes in a show and so many songs that can be on the playlist. U2's catalog is now large enough that the problem is working in all the popular tunes, that's without trying to work in some obscure song that many people won't know.  The and needs to approach each how as if everyone in the crowd is seeing U2 for the first time. Always why I felt it was sort of weird for fans to keep going to multiple shows over and over and then poo-poo the and for just playing the songs that are the most well known.  I am taking someone to the show who has never seen them before. I do not want her to miss hearing a song like "mysterious way"just so the band can perform "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" or some other obscure song. This is a U2 show, not the Grateful Dead. I guess I am  not disappointed, but relieved.