Author Topic: It's Official: New U2 Album is Called NO LINE ON THE HORIZON  (Read 20812 times)

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
Re: It's Official: New U2 Album is Called NO LINE ON THE HORIZON
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2008, 03:25:50 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You'd be suprised what an iTunes Television commercial can do for an artist. It gives them more airplay and more exposure than the radio ever could. This usually leads to a big boom in digital sales, which will usually result in the song being catapulted into the top 10 or top 20 of the Billboard Hot 100. However, they might not stay high on the charts for a long period of time though...it all depends.

"Viva La Vida" by Coldplay is a great song, but I don't know if it would have been #1 in the US without the great commercial it had

I'm just talking about here in America. In the UK, things may be different.

I live in the UK and I am happy to say that rock has a firm grip here; The Killers, Keane, Oasis, Razorlight, Metallica, Coldplay (a whooping 6 weeks) , Kings of Leon, The Script have all scored #1 albums here. U2 is no exception: their last album stayed at #1 for 3 weeks and Vertigo was top download for more than a month (Unfortunately all these great artists have left me strapped for cash :P).

I do see your point about Viva La Vida; I assume that it wouldn't have reached #1 without the ad (look at Violet Hill- I think it was within the top 50 of the Billboard 100 and Speed of Sound reached #8 because of the ad).

And as for UK music: the beginning of the year a lot of R&B artists were releasing here but from summer onwards rock/pop/indie have dominated here; Duffy (a wonder soul singer) and Coldplay (well you know who they are) are battling it out to see who has the best selling album of the year. I think the UK is far less commercial than the US and gives all genres a chance - but do inform me if that isn't the case  :P

Revolver7

« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2008, 03:41:18 PM »
No, you're absolutely right!  ;D From what I've heard, and from what I've seen, the UK Music Scene is a lot less commercial than the US

I love Duffy, Coldplay Kings of Leon, The Killers, Keane, Oasis, and Metallica!

Rock bands here in the US do well...but they aren't as mainstream as they are in the UK

I think it has to do with the crappy state of US Top 40 radio...they only play a set amount songs from certain artists...usually, rap and pop stuff....

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2008, 03:53:41 PM »
I think if any artist is going to break into the US they may have to risk losing their individuality (but in the case of U2 and Coldplay thats not the case  ;D). It's such a shame though: I really love American artists and the talented and independent ones either get shunned and told to sit in a corner or forced to show bare skin (Britney and *shivers at the image* Madonna- the Hard Candy sleeve is one of the last things I want to see >.<).

Offline Edges Les Paul

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • This is Edge; we're not sure where we got him.
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2008, 07:23:34 PM »
I agree, Revolver, the state of radio is really depressing. If I have to wake up to Pink's "So What" one more time..... >:(

InThisHeartland

« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2008, 07:30:51 PM »
I think the CD/magazine one looks like it works for me (the $50.00 one) because I'll have some extra Christmas money.

being a teenager, i think the one with the posters and booklet for 35 is the best bet for me. i love that they are giving us a choice! $100? not for me unless its half my Christmas gifts...

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2008, 08:46:01 PM »
Oh, Revolver & Edges, don't get me started on the state of radio here. I know I spoke of it in another thread. Did you catch the American Music Awards a few weeks ago? The highlights for me were Coldplay's performance and Annie Lennox receiving the Lifetime Achievement Award.  Then I thought-mmm, they're British! Now we can do better than that. Must the rest of the world think that is the best America has to offer to the music industry? :(

Revolver7

« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2008, 08:49:28 PM »
America has some great music...it's just that the good rock bands don't get the airplay they deserve  :'(

It's crazy that The Killers and Kings of Leon are bigger in the UK than they are in their homeland...

But anyway, I don't want to get off topic... ;)

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2008, 09:31:46 PM »
hey I just realised...if you combine U2's last 3 album titles, you have enough words to write a book.

Offline spacejunk

• Wanderer
  • Please don't ever let me out of you
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2008, 01:45:38 AM »
hey I just realised...if you combine U2's last 3 album titles, you have enough words to write a book.

:D Post of the week.

Offline Dark Angel

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Oh HAI
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2008, 04:18:16 AM »
Seeing as we have a choice of 5 versions ranging from $13.98 - $95.98 I cant look at U2 right now...I will be back tomorow!

I am so angry at them!

Angry at them? For giving fans a choice? What's wrong with that? There's a version for every budget. I'd get angry if the only thing they offered were the limited edition specials, but you can get the music for $10. Isn't that what it's about -- the music?

(ADDED: Okay, I'm just repeating what others have said. Should've read the whole thread before replying. I'll shut up now.)

Yes I know that but me being a student with 22 in the bank how do they expect me to buy stuff like that! Its hard enough trying to stay alive!

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2008, 06:41:46 AM »

The only problem is that those words leave you with nothing other than You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

InThisHeartland

« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2008, 08:39:01 AM »
Oh, Revolver & Edges, don't get me started on the state of radio here.

It isn't that bad, as long as you choose a good station. In Chicago, I listen to WXRT 93.1, which has been around for a looooooong time. It plays a very good selection of music, and a lot of U2.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2008, 10:12:36 AM »
Well at least 2009 will be a good year for U2; all the other top tier bands have all released in 2008 and U2 can come in and take their crown back from Coldplay :P

Bono: "Thanks Mr. Martin for warming up my seat."

Another album, another (insert new U2 milstone.....and usually there is a lot  ;) )

« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 01:42:23 PM by Nielsen »

Offline Edges Les Paul

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • This is Edge; we're not sure where we got him.
« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2008, 10:22:19 AM »

[/quote]

It isn't that bad, as long as you choose a good station. In Chicago, I listen to WXRT 93.1, which has been around for a looooooong time. It plays a very good selection of music, and a lot of U2.
[/quote]

Yeah, if you live in a big city. If you live in a small city, then believe me, there is literally nothing to listen to. Even the oldies station started playing 80s music.

Revolver7

« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2008, 03:31:03 PM »
Hey! Has anyone seen that No Line on the Horizon is #16 on amazon.com's  music bestsellers list?  :)