Author Topic: Ticket resellers  (Read 1957 times)

Offline reventhon

• Stateless
Ticket resellers
« on: May 23, 2009, 03:41:39 AM »
Does anyone have any experience of using these people?

Having struggled to get the tickets I wanted for some of the European gigs I was furious to see thousands of tickets for sale all over the internet. Initially they were highly priced but now seemed to have dropped and I'm not sure they are even getting face value.

Have U2 misjudged the demand for their gigs? Will the stadia be half empty because people buying up more tickets than they need can't shift them?

I now find myself in the frustrating position of having to consider using one of these sites as I have been let down by a friend and have two pricey tickets for wembley to sell. Ideally I would just sell them to a fan for face value but judging by reseller prices I probably won't get that...

So... do I put them on a reseller site at a knock down price so I at least get something back or does anyone know of any sites where I can swap them for tickets for other gigs?

I have no experience in this area so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Offline peggy2ten

• Stateless
Re: Ticket resellers
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 08:21:40 AM »
I know what you mean - the market is definitely soft.  I've been trying to sell extra 2 Paris RED tickets that I bought by mistake.  I knew that I was buying more than needed at the final transaction, but since the ticketnet.fr site as so unstable, I figured it was easier to buy the 4 and sell the 2 extra than risk getting none at all.  I've posted  on U2.com, and Inteference, but no luck.  I've now got them on ebay for just enough more than face value to cover expenses - no bids yet.

I also have them on a UK site called Seatwave that you might consider.  I don't know how UK tickets are reselling, but the Paris ones seem to be slow.  Only problem is you don't get payment until after the show.

I'm thinking of trying to sell at a loss or trade for the 2nd night in Paris. 

Anyone else have suggestions for reselling European tickets?

Offline evilways811

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 11:35:45 AM »
Here's my experience. I planned a trip to NY with 4 other friends for the Giant's Stadium gig, and the day the tickets started selling, I was only able to score a pricey ticket just for myself. I took places like Stub Hub under consideration, even if the prices were slightly inflated because, we were gonna go see U2 no matter what. But then I read rip off reports and testimonials about such bad experiences not only with resellers on those sites but customer service as well and was turned off entirely. I know it's not the great majority, but when you're talking about potentially $500+ in tickets, I'd rather not take the risk. I also kept tabs on ebay just in case but the prices were either a bit too high or ridiculous, especially when somebody passes off seats in the nose bleeds 300's area as great seats, for $100 each.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, I scored 4 tickets for the Giant's gig in the 135 section for $389 total. Plus I spoke to the seller and he assured me they were hard tickets. Low and behold now we are all set and I have my tickets in hand.

That's another thing, a lot of people, myself included, don't like the whole e-ticket idea from a third party reseller. They are too easy to fake.

Just my 2 cents.

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 11:42:33 AM »
If you are in the UK, gumtree.com is an excellent way of selling tickets by face to face meeting. And you can afford to sell at face value as there is no charge for advertising. I have sold a lot of tickets that way when I either couldn't go or friends didn't go. You are almost always guaranteed face value. And it is attractive for the buyer as they can meet in person , easy peasy !

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 12:01:28 AM »
We allow ticket trading and selling (at face value only) on the U2tour mailing list:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

7,000+ subscribers last I checked.

Offline reventhon

• Stateless
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 02:51:04 PM »
Thanks

I just found an article on Martin Lewis' moneysavingexpert website that pointed me in the direction of a ticket exchange site called Scarlet Mist which only allows you to post tickets at face value or less so perhaps this is a way to beat the scammers.

Offline SaintMike

• Refugee
  • Sponsored by Blackberry!
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 10:11:53 AM »
Ahhh the irony.

You all were lambasting ticket scalpers on the last tour when they were getting well over face value.

Now that they are suffering huge losses and U2 fans are scoring tickets for under face value - that's suddenly okay.

You cannot control a free market. 

Offline a_haymish

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 02:34:21 PM »
Ok people, I have [admin edit] and need to swap for [admin edit].
Whats the best way of going about this??
What good sites are there for this kind of thing.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 06:08:10 PM by m2 »

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 06:09:02 PM »
As I mentioned above, you can use the U2.com message boards or the U2tour mailing list.

In both cases, the rule is face-value only for selling/buying.

Offline cathalmc

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 03:50:49 PM »
What good sites are there for this kind of thing.

There's also u2tix.info, the 'What you have, what you want?' sub-forum on Interference, and the Facebook ticket exchange group.