Author Topic: Why U2 SHOULD play the classics on this tour  (Read 3238 times)

shockdocta22

Why U2 SHOULD play the classics on this tour
« on: May 25, 2009, 06:41:16 AM »
...and by this, i mean like Pride, SBS, Bad, Wowy, and more that so many of you guys have complained about being played live.

From the time from 2005-2009(10)  there has been many U2  fans made.  Speaking for myself, I became a U2 fan last year around this time.  I know that when i finally get to go to one of U2's concerts this year in New York, I am going to want to hear these songs.  Not because i think they are best, but because these are the songs that got me into U2 the way I have.  I am sure that most fans who have never had the experience would like to hear these classics because they are icon U2 songs and want to hear them live.  And if I showed up to a concert, and they didnt play One, Pride, SBS, Bad, Wowy, and more...it would be like it wasnt a U2 concert.  Don't get me wrong, I love all of their other stuff, but imho, these are the songs that make a concert what they have become for U2, and those fans who have never had the experience should not be missing out...imho

*gets ready for rocks to be thrown*

Offline Discotheque Girl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • You break and enter my imagination
Re: Why U2 SHOULD play the classics on this tour
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 06:43:50 AM »
I agree with you!

I think they should play the new stuff,too!
But,for example,they are playing for the first time in Croatia,so I think they will play the classics!

I think they should play the classsic,so that us new fans could see how it was before!

;D

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 07:57:46 AM »
That makes 3 of us  8)

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 07:58:36 AM »
Now it makes 4.  8)

Offline u2pinstripes

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 09:10:54 AM »

Achtung40Life

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 10:09:59 AM »
There are some classics that will never be dropped, such as Sunday Bloody Sunday, Streets, New Year's Day etc. Bad is such a great song, I couldn't see how any fan would want it dropped. That being said, on the last couple tours it's been a rarity. It would be great if bring it into the set-list this tour. My thoughts on Pride (In the Name of Love): It's just not that great of a song. I mean, the album version is amazing and is one of the reasons U2 are where they are now, but it's just kinda bland live. I'd much rather hear a song like Mercy, Exit, Ultraviolet. Wild Horses, UF etc in it's place. But hell, I'm not gonna complain about ANY U2 song being played at my show.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 10:16:14 AM »
Even though the band is said to have virtually every song in their catalog as a possibility for the upcoming tour, I'd be shocked if they don't include plenty of the big hits in every set they play. They are not going to go Dave Matthews Band on us and have the odd night where they play none of their well-known stuff. I don't think first-time concert goers need to worry about missing the classics.

As for those of us who have a good number of shows under our belts, we are hoping for a couple of rarities each show. There's room to make everyone happy in the set except those who feel compelled to attend a high number of shows who then complain about a stagnant set list. Those people need to get a clue.

Offline dangerous and honest

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Outside its a car park! Outside its a car park!
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 01:25:40 PM »
People on this forum berate the likes of The Rolling Stones for being a 'greatest hits touring circus', but this is exactly the kind of thinking that creates that situation for a band.

Sure I accept some hits will be retained (and rightly so),  but I want to hear a set-list relevant to the period, theme etc of the day. I don't necessarily want Pride wheeled out again and again - its becomes so robotic and robs the music of its soul. Lets hear the material sounding fresh and played with passion.

Rework it or drop it.

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 01:39:06 PM »
I'm not set on anything particular, but if they don't play Streets I think I'll ask for my money back.

Offline FishLips

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 03:13:52 PM »
^don't think you'll have to worry about asking for you money back.

It's funny... if U2 were to take every suggestion from fans here on which songs not to play, this would end up being a Streets + b-sides & rarities tour.

I agree with the OP, that they need to keep most of the classics.  It's possible 1 or 2 will be dropped to make room for the new album and to fit the theme of the tour (whatever that is?).

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 04:09:47 PM »
i agree i hope they keep playing all the old stuff thats when u2 were so far ahead of everybody now they have come back to the pack :-\

Offline wrldchamps04

• Numb
  • ^^rock n roll perfection^^
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 05:08:13 PM »
I'd like them to do MOST of these, but if 1 or 2 were traded in for something not done so often...so be it.

Offline DulmoU2

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 05:39:42 PM »
here is a huge dilema the classics should be played because of new and old fans because as i said...they are classics but they´ve got new stuff and stuff that hasent been played in a while, last couple of tours have been a bit predictable so a bit of a mix up would be nice...we need songs that are real and that the crowd will like but they have managed to do that with almost every song...they just need to really polish them for the biggest tour yet....

Offline in_eden

• Stateless
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 06:53:25 PM »
I think the problem becomes what "classic" to drop. Edge said they will play 8 songs off the new album. He also said that they were looking to play a lot of "different" material that felt "relevant" to the sound of the new album. He hinted at a lot of songs that have been played before wouldn't be included this time around. He even mentioned that maybe some obscure material may be included noting Luminous Times specifically. It seems that they are selecting songs from their catalog that fit the motif, rather than pumping out the U2 hits.
Plus, with U2's fairly extensive catalog, and ever growing list of songs that we all "MUST" hear, there is no way to play everyone's favorite song.
2nd leg of Elevation, U2 dropped my then-favorite song "With or without you". Before the Vegas show, I thought that seeing U2 without that song would somehow spoil the experience, however it remains my favorite show.
No doubt there will be plenty of big U2 hits... but as someone else mentioned earlier, many have become rather stale and robotic. Pride, With or Without You, Sunday Bloody Sunday all felt mechanical and boring last time out.
What U2 SHOULD do is play a great show that will impress everyone in attendance.
That I am sure that they will do!

Offline wrldchamps04

• Numb
  • ^^rock n roll perfection^^
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 07:36:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think the problem becomes what "classic" to drop. Edge said they will play 8 songs off the new album. He also said that they were looking to play a lot of "different" material that felt "relevant" to the sound of the new album. He hinted at a lot of songs that have been played before wouldn't be included this time around. He even mentioned that maybe some obscure material may be included noting Luminous Times specifically. It seems that they are selecting songs from their catalog that fit the motif, rather than pumping out the U2 hits.
Plus, with U2's fairly extensive catalog, and ever growing list of songs that we all "MUST" hear, there is no way to play everyone's favorite song.
2nd leg of Elevation, U2 dropped my then-favorite song "With or without you". Before the Vegas show, I thought that seeing U2 without that song would somehow spoil the experience, however it remains my favorite show.
No doubt there will be plenty of big U2 hits... but as someone else mentioned earlier, many have become rather stale and robotic. Pride, With or Without You, Sunday Bloody Sunday all felt mechanical and boring last time out.
What U2 SHOULD do is play a great show that will impress everyone in attendance.
That I am sure that they will do!

as I've said before.......with such a large catalog, inevitably some will leave saying "I can't believe they didn't play________".........just the way it is. Also, I believe Edge said they were going to be playing "about half" of the new album (5 or 6 ?)