Author Topic: Why U2 SHOULD play the classics on this tour  (Read 3239 times)

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
Re: Why U2 SHOULD play the classics on this tour
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 09:20:37 PM »
Just drop Pride and I'll be happy.

Offline u2pinstripes

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 09:28:24 PM »
I hope they remove The Fly, Zoo Station, Pride, Bullet the Blue Sky and replace with songs such as Ultraviolet, Lemon, Stay, etc.  But all the ultimate classics need to stay.

Side note- World Champs 04..I hope that's not a reference to the Sox

Offline jlw1980

• Babyface
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 01:56:36 AM »
As this is my first U2 concert (despite being a fairly long-time fan), I'll be disappointed if there aren't a good amount of the "classics" played. The two I feel that I must hear are WOWY and One - my two favorite U2 songs. Streets is also a must. I'd love UF, as well.

However, I know that I'll be thrilled to be there, no matter what they play!

daveyg

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 02:06:57 AM »
With some of us more "mature" fans who have seen U2 a few times, we tend to forget that there's new fans and not so new fans who are seeing U2 for the first time this year, and who have never heard the classics played live before. I personally wouldn't miss a moments sleep if I never heard With or WIthout You live ever ever again, but would be quite annoyed if it was my first ever U2 gig and they didn't play it. I perosnally would be happy if they did a mix of all their good old and new material.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2009, 05:42:44 AM »
Seriously, they could fart into a microphone 14 times and all of us on here would hail it as revolutionary.

Although with Edge's Delay it would sound like 278 farts...

countrygirl

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 06:10:31 AM »
Being that this is my 1st u2 concert, I want to hear all the old stuff and new stuff.  I would be a little disappointed if I don't hear streets, sunday, mysterious ways, pride, ect.

Just give me like a 5 hour concert, that would be good!!!! :D

Offline LOGAN B

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Ambition Bites the Nails of Success.
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 08:53:44 AM »
This will be my first U2 live concert. I have all their live dvd's and based on that I do think that mixing up the setlist would improve the experience. I love almost all U2 songs and I think experiencing them live would be good wether their classics or not. Who knows A Sort of Homecoming or The Unforgettable Fire can move the crowd just as much as Pride or even Streets.

Offline u2pinstripes

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2009, 10:39:22 AM »
A Sort of Homecoming or The Unforgettable Fire would NOT move the crowd as much as Streets.  Streets has been mentioned as possibly the best live song EVER by any band.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 11:01:43 AM »
I agree with many of the posts here. U2 has a library of music that they can use to choose from which will satifisfy old and new fans alike. They can never do a set that will please every single person though. That is asking the impossible.  I listen to all U2 so any mix of songs will be a treat for me. I will be thrilled just to be at the concert !

mariamontreal

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2009, 11:57:05 AM »
I love every song by them , honestly. So for me it doesn't matter just being there in the moment with them is fine by me . Singing along and watching my 4 favorite musicians in front of me ,(along with my u2.com friends of course )is a  magical moment in itself. As for the setlist, anything is fine with me. I can't wait .... Also with so many new fans who have never seen them before I totally agree with what has already been said prior to my post that it would be a must for them to play the classic U2 , which I know they will . Those bits from the past are very important to U2 and their fans they know and appreciate that . For the new and younger audience , don't worry you will not be disappointed. Enjoy .
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 12:19:39 PM by mariamontreal »

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2009, 03:57:54 PM »
I have been a fan for less than a year, and I've done what I can to get all their albums. I know there are many songs I haven't heard, but I don't worry that they'll play them in 'my' concerts.
What I want to hear are the songs that THEY want to play. I want to see all of them on fire with enthusiasm. That is what makes them great in my eyes.
All I've read about them tells me they do the very best they can for us. So I'm content to just enjoy what they give us. If they miss some songs I love, I can always listen to them on the way home. :)

Birdlover

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2009, 04:32:28 PM »
I doubt they will drop "Pride" this tour at least not in the US, since it was one of their biggest singles here, and since it is fairly relevant with the times. (They sang it at the inauguration concert for a reason.) I also find it had to believe they will be playing 8 songs from he album with it dropping in popularity like it is (No. 43 this week). I think you will here 4-5 cuts, including "Boots." I am one of those that would love to hear "Bad" back in the lineup, not to mention songs like "Hold Me Trill Me..."ut I think we will largely get the classics and the newer hits like "Vertigo" and "Beautiful Day." I think they are re likely to tinker with the sound of the better known songs, than to have any large amount of rare material.

Offline MoodyGirl09

• Refugee
  • It's all about me and what I want
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2009, 06:42:47 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Just give me like a 5 hour concert, that would be good!!!! :D

With a set list of my choosing, and I'm right there with ya  ;)

Seriously though, although there are some songs that I personally never want to hear again *cough* One *cough*, I fully recognize that for many fans both old and new that is the U2 song that they want to hear live.   I can't even begin to imagine trying to create a set list that will please fans looking for a collection of their hits and fans looking for a varied assortment from their catalog.  I tend to fall into the latter category because my favorite U2 songs haven't necessarily been the mainstream popular songs, while one of my friends who will be attending her first U2 concert, wants to hear the hits.  If there wasn't a video in rotation on MTV or VH1, she doesn't want to hear it.  :D

Offline MoodyGirl09

• Refugee
  • It's all about me and what I want
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2009, 06:52:28 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
A Sort of Homecoming or The Unforgettable Fire would NOT move the crowd as much as Streets.  Streets has been mentioned as possibly the best live song EVER by any band.

I agree with this.  Not so much because Streets is the best live song ever (and I admit it has brought the most energy to shows I've been at), but because it is a song that EVERYONE in attendance will know and sing along to.  I highly doubt that would be the case with Homecoming or UF, although I wouldn't cry if they played either song instead of Streets.

shockdocta22

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2009, 07:09:20 PM »
This is my one problem with Red Hill Mining Town, many people complain that Pride is boring beacause they cant reach the notes and stuff.  In Red Hill, the notes wont be any easier and could be a train wreck  :-\