Author Topic: Why U2 SHOULD play the classics on this tour  (Read 3242 times)

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
Re: Why U2 SHOULD play the classics on this tour
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2009, 08:00:46 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
...and by this, i mean like Pride, SBS, Bad, Wowy, and more that so many of you guys have complained about being played live.

From the time from 2005-2009(10)  there has been many U2  fans made.  Speaking for myself, I became a U2 fan last year around this time.  I know that when i finally get to go to one of U2's concerts this year in New York, I am going to want to hear these songs.  Not because i think they are best, but because these are the songs that got me into U2 the way I have.  I am sure that most fans who have never had the experience would like to hear these classics because they are icon U2 songs and want to hear them live.  And if I showed up to a concert, and they didnt play One, Pride, SBS, Bad, Wowy, and more...it would be like it wasnt a U2 concert.  Don't get me wrong, I love all of their other stuff, but imho, these are the songs that make a concert what they have become for U2, and those fans who have never had the experience should not be missing out...imho

*gets ready for rocks to be thrown*

I agree 1,000,000%!!!!!!!!!

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2009, 11:18:40 AM »
Shock.... at the tender age of 14 you have way more sense than a lot of the "adults" on this forum.  I completely agree with you here!  When I listen to U2, I listen to a mixture of everything... old/new, popular/obscure... and that's how I expect the concert to be.  The hardcore U2 fan doesn't need to be an elitist!

shockdocta22

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2009, 11:20:46 AM »
Shock.... at the tender age of 14 you have way more sense than a lot of the "adults" on this forum.  I completely agree with you here!  When I listen to U2, I listen to a mixture of everything... old/new, popular/obscure... and that's how I expect the concert to be.  The hardcore U2 fan doesn't need to be an elitist!

thanks EF!

by the way...im 13 :D

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2009, 12:22:29 PM »
Seriously, they could fart into a microphone 14 times and all of us on here would hail it as revolutionary.

Although with Edge's Delay it would sound like 278 farts...

Best post ever....  :D

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2009, 12:22:49 PM »

thanks EF!

Which proves my point even MORE... :D

shockdocta22

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2009, 01:03:45 PM »

thanks EF!

Which proves my point even MORE... :D

LOL :D

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2009, 01:10:22 PM »
my question to everyone though is - all these new U2 fans how are they becoming fans?  i can't imagine it's because they heard Pride on the classic rock station.  can't help but think edge was just all talk in that interview where he said the whole catalog was fair game.  outside of the norm all we are getting is drowning man, UF and UV.  everything else looks like the end of the vertigo tour where it felted like a greatest hits tour.

shockdocta22

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2009, 01:14:26 PM »
my question to everyone though is - all these new U2 fans how are they becoming fans?  i can't imagine it's because they heard Pride on the classic rock station.  can't help but think edge was just all talk in that interview where he said the whole catalog was fair game.  outside of the norm all we are getting is drowning man, UF and UV.  everything else looks like the end of the vertigo tour where it felted like a greatest hits tour.

that and hearing WOWY, streets, COYB, BD, One, and Still havent found on radio stations made me a fan :D

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2009, 02:35:09 PM »
There are some classics that will never be dropped, such as Sunday Bloody Sunday, Streets, New Year's Day etc. Bad is such a great song, I couldn't see how any fan would want it dropped.

For me it has nothing to do with how great Bad or WOWY are, but about the fact that Bono can't sing them anymore. If a classic is sung poorly, it just ruins it for me. Bad, for example, hasn't been sung well since the ZOOTV Tour. You may disagree, but this may help you understand how some of us want an admittedly great song dropped from the setlist. Other songs, like Pride (which has never been sung well live in my view) is just tired and uninspired now, like the band is just churcning it out in their sleep. Give me Acrobat or Drowning Man any day (though the latter will not be sung in two octaves as it was on War).
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 02:36:40 PM by The Exile »

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2009, 03:06:48 PM »

I became a fan thanks to Bill Carter's book "Fools Rush In" about Sarajevo and U2's involvement. Then a friend wanted to see them more than anything, so I started getting their CD's out of the library. Time after time, I'd take out 3, listen, bring them back and take out another 3 until I was sure I'd never like them. :o But for a last determined act, it would have been all over: I found the Live in Chicago Vertigo concert DVD there.
That is how I came to love U2. Now I really DO like all their music. I had no idea which songs were the hits, and which weren't. So I came to love ones that others might not.
Still, I do want to hear SBS, COBL and Pride because those affected me the most on that first viewing of the DVD.

I do understand wanting to hear certain 'non-hits'. In God's Country holds a dear place in my heart, but I'm not going to complain if they don't play it. Same with Miss Sarajevo. No matter what they play (even 300 farts) they will be the ones on stage giving us everything they can. That is what makes a U2 concert. That's why I'm going to extremes to get ready and survive GA in Chicago. They are special!

Offline joe73

• Wanderer
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2009, 12:35:59 PM »
There are some classics that will never be dropped, such as Sunday Bloody Sunday, Streets, New Year's Day etc. Bad is such a great song, I couldn't see how any fan would want it dropped.

For me it has nothing to do with how great Bad or WOWY are, but about the fact that Bono can't sing them anymore. If a classic is sung poorly, it just ruins it for me. Bad, for example, hasn't been sung well since the ZOOTV Tour. You may disagree, but this may help you understand how some of us want an admittedly great song dropped from the setlist. Other songs, like' Pride (which has never been sung well live in my view) is just tired and uninspired now, like the band is just churning it out in their sleep. Give me Acrobat or Drowning Man any day (though the latter will not be sung in two octaves as it was on War).y

I couldnt agree more. It's a sad fact but Bono just can't sing some of these songs anymore. Take, for example, New Years Day. I can't remember the last time Bono was able to do the opening "yeahh" bit  and this is the most important part as it propels the whole song. I'd rather they didn't play the song unless he can hit these notes, even though it's one of my favourites.

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2009, 12:55:57 PM »

Bad, for example, hasn't been sung well since the ZOOTV Tour. 

How many boots have you heard from the Vertigo tour, when they were closing shows with it in America. One great example springs to mind, Toronto Sep 14 2005 with Daniel Lanois, phenomenal !  Listen to 10 different shows on Vertigo 3rd leg and you will change your mind !