Author Topic: No Line By Another Band  (Read 2671 times)

Offline The Stingray Guitar

• Refugee
  • You're in my mind all of the time,
Re: No Line By Another Band
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 07:09:53 AM »
If NLOTH was released in the 80s it might have been seen as U2s first masterpiece maybe sold more than Joshua Tree it depends on the timing. I would imagine it would be a international hit if it was released anytime befor Joshua Tree or if it was released instead of POP

Offline The Stingray Guitar

• Refugee
  • You're in my mind all of the time,
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 07:17:05 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I already cannot imagine U2's canon without NLOTH...it came at the perfect time in their career.  I agree that it has striking similarities to some of TUF.  I am glad after 50+ listens that they tried some different things; I wouldn't have said that after only the first listen, though, which is what many brand new bands get - one listen - and then they're turfed if it doesn't impress the general public right away.  Imagine U2 being turfed?  It could have happened if this was their first album.

I believe they truly recorded this one for their fanbase (which includes themselves) and I don't think that they will be pulling in new fans like they did with Beautiful Day and Vertigo.  Magnificent should have been the first single!!!!!

That would be an interesting new topic, Vision.  I agree that Magnificent should have been the first single, and it's compelling to wonder how NLOTH would have been received if Boots was not the first single and if the tracklisting was more accessible.  I have another thread started about the sequencing of the album, and if Magnificant was track 1, and if it was released as the first single it would have been better received by the general public.  Does anybody know why the release of the Magnificent single was so screwed up?  It seems like Interscope dropped the ball or something.  No physical singles available in US until June, fully a month after it was released in UK?  All the pomp and circumstance about the single and video coming, but digital only in US for at least a month seemed like a mis-step. 

Was magnificent even realised as a CD single in the UK? If not than that was a screw up.
I know U2 will not do this but if they release I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight for free on Itunes then they could be brought back into the Top 10 charts and hopefully the album will get more recognition because I blame the singles for the No Line's poor sales, it was only number 1 for 2 weeks over here in the UK because U2 have loyal fans like us.

But please Paul McGuiness let U2 have 1 free single to give the album more hype!
THE REVOLUTION STARTS HERE!!!

Offline TheFly

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 07:30:27 AM »
I agree - No Line On The Horizon could only have been made by U2 at this point in their career. To be honest, i think this record could only have been made by U2.

As for Boy being released now, the punk sound captured on the album could only have been done so like that at that time, so now it wouldn't even be the same sounding record.

Offline keifer

• Wanderer
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 09:40:18 AM »
I agree with DGordon!;  the context of today's media, the internet, shapes things much differently today. ANd most importantly, U2 has raised the bar so high, they get scrutinized for anything and everything they do now...  I have stated this point before, they cannot win for losing;  we might actually be witnessing the band hitting a wall or a plateau with it's fans.  As much as i love this band, it might be a great time to call it quits after one more album;  Go out while on top.  NLOTH in a different era, would be called a MASTERPIECE- period.
Whether they release ATYLB, HTDAB, NLOTH...they get nailed... That's pretty sad commentary on it's fans;  how would you like to be a fan of...Kings of Leon in 15 years?  I love KOL, but will they last past 10? Probably not, unless rehab occurs. 

Offline Niterpi

• Stateless
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 10:14:48 AM »
... I don't think it would have caused the stir in the scene that it did when it came out in 1980.

boy didn't cause a "stir on the scene"  when it came out  it was new, but so was a lot of the music them, rock was in flux and most of it sounded different.  u2 didn't cause a "stir" until war came out.

Offline 1985

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 10:15:22 AM »
I'll play along...without the precedent of Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby, this album would be more broadly known and be generating more interest (factoring in the massive differences in the music marketplace today). It would stand more on its own, rather than in comparison to other work (acknowledging that those other works enabled the creation of this one).

If we do the sci-fi experiment, yes, this album would be performing much better.

As has been said elsewhere in this thread, the hard-core fans are nit-picking it, comparing it, etc. We can't help but impose a frame of reference shaped by those albums. We've chosen sides, whether we're "experimental U2 fans," "anthemic U2 fans," "unconditional U2 fans," "inspirational U2 fans," "dark U2 fans," etc.

For the general music fan, the U2 canon is just kind of full at this point. I'll use my wife as an example of a casual fan. Last weekend, road trip, I put on "No Line" -- the first time she's really been forced to listen to it. About half way through, the three year old was asking for something different; she said she was ready to change as well. One week later, road trip, we're listening to Achtung Baby. She knows those songs. She's singing to WGRYWH, Mysterious Ways, etc. Those songs entered the broader consciousness when there fewer "channels." If I played No Line 10 times for her, she'd love Crazy Tonight. She has no need to do that, however, and neither does anyone else. For the casual fan, they've got their 10-20 U2 songs. A song had better be supremely catchy to add to those ranks (a la Beautiful Day and maybe Vertigo, although I'm not convinced).

Offline Vision Over Visibility

• Babyface
  • I had the opinion it was Out of control
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2009, 11:41:33 PM »

For the general music fan, the U2 canon is just kind of full at this point. I'll use my wife as an example of a casual fan. Last weekend, road trip, I put on "No Line" -- the first time she's really been forced to listen to it. About half way through, the three year old was asking for something different; she said she was ready to change as well. One week later, road trip, we're listening to Achtung Baby. She knows those songs. She's singing to WGRYWH, Mysterious Ways, etc. Those songs entered the broader consciousness when there fewer "channels." If I played No Line 10 times for her, she'd love Crazy Tonight. She has no need to do that, however, and neither does anyone else. For the casual fan, they've got their 10-20 U2 songs. A song had better be supremely catchy to add to those ranks (a la Beautiful Day and maybe Vertigo, although I'm not convinced).

1985...you and I may have the same family!!! :D  Your description of an(assumedly) unconditional fan such as myself trying to "slip in" NLOTH to your wife is my experience almost verbatim.  I agree that eventually only the "waiting-with-baited-breath-for-new-material" type fans will want or need anything more to add to an already impressive collection of U2 playing over and over in their heads.  On that road trip, my 6-year-old daughter said "if we are gonna listen to U2, can we please listen to the songs we like?"  and my wife heartily agreed.

My persistence is paying off, however, and my family is warming to Magnificent and Breathe, but finds most of the album "a little wierd" still.  As I said before I love the album, it was released at the right time for their fans and themselves.  October 28th Vancouver--cannot wait!!!!!

Offline 1985

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2009, 02:44:06 PM »
My persistence is paying off, however, and my family is warming to Magnificent and Breathe, but finds most of the album "a little wierd" still.  As I said before I love the album, it was released at the right time for their fans and themselves.  October 28th Vancouver--cannot wait!!!!!

The kids are generally more accepting, unconditionally, although the younger one (3.5) definitely has his turn-offs, at which point he asks if I can put on U-tube (he has conflated U2 and You Tube). Then we argue about whether or not we are already listening to U-tube. I lose that argument and put on Beautiful Day, Pride, 40, something comforting and familiar. Magnificent does seem to have that broader appeal, though...everyone bops along to it.

Another amusing anecdote from the road trip I took recently (at least I found it amusing)...my wife put the iPod on a random shuffle on the way home, just to be "surprised." Of course, it's my iPod, so I know that the probabilities are high that we'll have a heavy rotation of U2 songs. For whatever reason, the shuffle was pulling in the number 6, 8, 11 tracks of various albums. So we're getting So Cruel, Some Days, Love Is Blindness, etc, plus a number of B-sides (Wave of Sorrow). Not at all what I'd program for her eclectic tastes (Daddy's Gonna Pay, Ultraviolet, If God Will Send... would be better choices). It was testing my wife's patience to say the least. At some point she says with arched eyebrow, "funny, isn't it, that we're getting so many U2 songs..." Yes, funny indeed.

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2009, 04:19:12 PM »
More and more I am thinking NLOTH is up there with the bands other best works, JT, and AB. It really just keeps getting better and better...an album with real staying power. And it works really well thematically and the running order of the songs works. HTDAAB - I am also starting to think is up there with U2's best though it's more like a bunch of great songs on 1 disc and IMHO isn't as much of an 'album' thematically. This is turning out to be a very consistent decade for the band...and maybe when we look back...just maybe it could be their best so far. I know many people might disagree with that now because we are living in the moment.

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2009, 04:35:44 PM »
... I don't think it would have caused the stir in the scene that it did when it came out in 1980.

boy didn't cause a "stir on the scene"  when it came out  it was new, but so was a lot of the music them, rock was in flux and most of it sounded different.  u2 didn't cause a "stir" until war came out.

correct. Their career didn't really take off til New Year's Day.

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2009, 04:45:01 PM »

Okay, I understand. But that was the time of punk, with hard, straightaway guitar playing. Boy showed up, then this more echo-y guitar sound came into play with the Edge's playing. And Boy was a successful album and debut. They gained attention. That sounds like a stir to me!