Poll

Eclectic, unchanging, or greatest hits?

Eclectic--different songs as often as possible from show to show
29 (50.9%)
Unchanging--steady setlists with half (or more) of the new album from night to night
22 (38.6%)
Greatest hits-- no more than two or three songs from the new album, with the rest all the hits
6 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: 360 Tour Paradox  (Read 2270 times)

joegtheog

360 Tour Paradox
« on: June 01, 2009, 09:36:19 PM »
My vote is for unchanging. It will always be my dream for U2 to play "Big Girls are Best", but the reality of the situation is that U2 live is a lot more than a collection of songs, it's a show, and an experience.  There is a certain level of it that needs choreography. Every tour from ZOO TV on has followed this pattern, with some minor setlist tweaks here and there. Just my thoughts.

Offline highway190

• Refugee
  • Not telling you where the J Tree is.
Re: 360 Tour Paradox
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 09:51:20 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
My vote is for unchanging. It will always be my dream for U2 to play "Big Girls are Best", but the reality of the situation is that U2 live is a lot more than a collection of songs, it's a show, and an experience.  There is a certain level of it that needs choreography. Every tour from ZOO TV on has followed this pattern, with some minor setlist tweaks here and there. Just my thoughts.

Eh, Elevation got quite mixed up at times, but you do have a very good  point.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 10:16:14 PM by highway190 »

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 10:58:23 PM »
I am just glad I am not the only one who would love to hear "Big Girls Are Best" live.

Offline mattyk

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 06:16:11 AM »
I voted eclectic though it will never happen - especially not in a stadium tour.

What I'd really, really love to see is for the band to do a combined stadium/arena in 2010. They do the first two stadium legs this year - blow everyone's brains out - then take a break, finish and release Songs Of Ascent, then take off again. They hit the Aust/NZ, Asia, South America then back to Nth America and Europe again. In each city they do one or two stadium shows, but also do one stripped-back B-sides and rarities arena show in each city. Sell it through the fan club, advertise it as "U2 play random obscure stuff for fans" and record a soundboard bootleg at every show and make them available for download (free or low cost) through U2.com

*Sigh* I'm dreaming aren't I?

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 07:15:53 AM »
The Edge did mention that due to the internet spreading information quicker than I can say "hey look at me!", he is thinking about mixing up the set-list more often. I mean lets face it, it will be too predictable.

But then again, considering U2's huge range of fans of all ages it will be extremely difficult to decide which song to play - will they play Acrobat or not because of the profanity of "b******" and some kids under 15 at the show?

Offline globaljosh

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 07:38:57 AM »

But then again, considering U2's huge range of fans of all ages it will be extremely difficult to decide which song to play - will they play Acrobat or not because of the profanity of "b******" and some kids under 15 at the show?

Ha, no. Bono is notorious for dropping F-bombs, even when there's no reason to. Consult your concert DVDs - are there any where he doesn't dish out some profanity during a barely coherent rant of some sort between songs?

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 08:46:15 AM »

Ha, no. Bono is notorious for dropping F-bombs, even when there's no reason to. Consult your concert DVDs - are there any where he doesn't dish out some profanity during a barely coherent rant of some sort between songs?

I seemed to have have forgotten "all I want is f******* you"  :D

Offline dangerous and honest

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Outside its a car park! Outside its a car park!
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 10:41:31 AM »

My vote is Eclectic - but the reality will be your vote!   :'(

Offline highway190

• Refugee
  • Not telling you where the J Tree is.
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 12:08:58 PM »
I find it funny how three people have voted for a "greatest hits" tour. Hahahaha. With only 2-3 new songs? Are you kidding?

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 12:12:22 PM »
I would really love eclectic as well.  I don't think that will happen though! It'll be unchanging I think.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 01:09:02 PM by StrongGirl »

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 01:07:04 PM »
I would love a greatest hits tour but my realistic vote went for unchanging

Offline cathalmc

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 02:02:43 PM »

Eclectic would be amazing, especially for cities with two shows, but can you imagine if they didn't play your bestest song or two but played Pete The Chop to general audience confusion, even from most of the hardcore fans?

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 02:45:55 PM »
I dunno ... there's some classic songs that I definately want to see since this is my first U2 show. On the other hand, I also want a few surprises in there. There is a balance to be achieved, surely?

Offline kev346

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I'm ready I'm ready for the laughing gas
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 04:21:53 PM »
I've voted for the changing set list . Only because I'm doing a few shows on the tour  ;D
on a serious note would be great if the set changed night by night , they used to do this alot back in the day . sure it would keep each night fresh for the band to . throw in the odd little played song n swap the order around a bit . They did this to great effect on the Joshua Tree tour and even more so on the LoveTown tour which had some of the best set lists in my opinion .

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 01:32:45 PM »
please god not a greatest hits set !!!!! some might say we have been getting that for the last two, tours :P i don't expect completely different sets every night but just a bit more imagination please.