Author Topic: What is No Line On The Horizon Missing?  (Read 11580 times)

joegtheog

Re: What is No Line On The Horizon Missing?
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2009, 08:14:10 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Its missing an audience.

Cheers,

J

I found it for ya, Jick. Almost 3 million people in 3 months of release worldwide. No need to thank me.

Offline excidence

• Stateless
  • excidence will heppen
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2009, 12:23:55 PM »

Toons.

That's what's it's missing.

Some friggin toons.

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2009, 01:27:41 PM »

Toons.

That's what's it's missing.

Some friggin toons.

They made a pretty sweet "toon" video for their "tune" Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me. ;)

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2009, 03:09:16 PM »
when Bono screams experimentation you expect an Album like Zooropa or the passengers to emerge.

No you don't, unless you're a complete idiot. You just expect it to not sound like previous albums, and - to an admittedly limited extent - that's the case.

Offline u2matters

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2009, 03:24:41 PM »
when Bono screams experimentation you expect an Album like Zooropa or the passengers to emerge.

No you don't, unless you're a complete idiot. You just expect it to not sound like previous albums, and - to an admittedly limited extent - that's the case.

this is ever so true! furthermore, I don't recall Bono screaming experimentation.

Offline excidence

• Stateless
  • excidence will heppen
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2009, 03:58:22 PM »

No you don't, unless you're a complete idiot.

A little decorum please.

Revolver7

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2009, 04:04:16 PM »

this is ever so true! furthermore, I don't recall Bono screaming experimentation.

The album was said to "Redefine Rock N' Roll", "Push the limit of the sound arena", "Sound Like Rock N' Roll 2009", and "sound different from anything U2 or anyone else has ever done"

Now, I don't know about you, but that made me expect experimentation. Now, the first two quotes I believe were from Daniel Lanois. The third one was from The Edge, I believe. And the last one was said by Bono.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2009, 05:50:34 PM »
I think some of the material is a real departure for them, particularly moment of surrender and unknown caller, but although sections of these songs are undeniably fantastic, as songs as a whole, they fall short. THe album is really missing something which hits you between the guts, like a vertigo or a beautiful day or a streets or a zooropa or a stay or a one; this is where the problems unfold for the album, I think.

Although breathe, stand up, crazy tonight are very good pop songs, I think they don't bring anything fresh or new to the table. It is as if the band are trying to write the ultimate pop song of late, it started with window in the skies and has continued on to this album. I don't think there's anything wrong with these songs in particular, but give me mercy or winter over these songs any day of the week. Mercy was a fantastic fantastic u2 epic,  it illustrates everything the band are about, sweeping soaring efforts of voice and tempo, like a bad for 2009. It was a stream of consciousness, but my god it's a brilliant one, I can't fathom why it has never been released.

Winter on the other hand has it's melodical problems, the chorus isn't great but it has some great moments, particularly the opening and close, the somewhat coldplay production values (enoesque surely) coming through. I think this would have been a welcome replacement to the woeful 'Get on Your boots' which, other than for some good rhythm sections, is a distinct b side at best. It doesn't matter how many times you try to fix and mould a song, it's true colours will always shine through and to think it was the first single; shocking decision boys. you know it and  we know it.

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2009, 10:43:21 PM »

The album was said to "Redefine Rock N' Roll", "Push the limit of the sound arena", "Sound Like Rock N' Roll 2009", and "sound different from anything U2 or anyone else has ever done"

Now, I don't know about you, but that made me expect experimentation. Now, the first two quotes I believe were from Daniel Lanois. The third one was from The Edge, I believe. And the last one was said by Bono.

We should also include a quote from Larry who said (paraphrasing) "I don't think it's experimental in the way that people expect a U2 experimental record to be. It's not Zooropa, or Passengers." 

But there are experimental elements...more than a handful of them that either enhance the U2 sound or change it in more subtle natural ways. MOS and Unknown Caller are quite different. Maybe MOS is a little Passengers-like with a mood similar to "Your Blue Room" but it also has a 'One' like quality, if 'One' were stretched out. Those 2 tracks also seem inspired by Classical music and are more orchestral, not so common for U2.  No Line, and Breathe have some experimental elements. Cedars sounds like Pop with Unforgettable Fire and ATYCLB to me, and White As Snow is also kind of different..I can trace similarities to other songs of theirs but I think this is more developed. I also like the idea of basing it around a hymn. Fez-Being Born is mostly in the vein of Eno + Radiohead (Enohead), + choral music, and colors from Boy-era U2.

So, as an album I don't think it's missing anything. It was a deliberate choice by the band to make a departure from the last 2 albums. For radio however, it may be missing a single that could carry the weight of the album's success. Most of these tracks depend very much on each other. The exception is 'Crazy Tonight' which could be the radio hit they need - if that's what the band want. Although it's not a soaring song like "Beautiful Day" it has some great moments and features some very good pop-rock songwriting. What's great and helpful for Radio is that on the 1st chord of the song - You instantly know it's a U2 song. Very good quality for radio.

As a complete work, NLOTH is not a Pop record. It's not a meat & potatoes Rock album either. There are an array of genres covered here and hybrid-genres of single songs. It's a heavy record for sure. It shares a similar weight to JT & AB while sonically standing on its own overall. A potential classic U2 record.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 10:53:36 PM by Mr. BonorFLYd »

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2009, 03:45:09 AM »
Yeah, I think there's relatively little on the album that overtly experimental, but at the same time the band is definately breaking new ground in parts. It's not just a collection of standard songs in the way that ATYCLB and HTDAAB were. I find the album to be imaginative and inspiring, and a step forward for the band.

Offline Zooropean

• Wanderer
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2009, 08:04:19 AM »
Tunes, conviction, good lyrics, mystique, direction, soul....... the list goes on and these are just some of the issues that that the bands hardcore fans have with the album.
IMO its missing good songs and tight production. SUC for instance is the kind of tune that U2 would normally release as a b-side and they spent 16 months on that song!. It is also worth noting that many people stated that magnificent would would bring that album to a larger audience (which didn't happen) and now hopes are being pinned on "crazy tonight" which will have more people scratching their heads due to its pointless lyrics.

As much as I respect U2 I feel that they have dropped the ball with this album and outside of the fan forums it is pretty much dead in the water.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2009, 09:25:52 AM »
Tunes, conviction, good lyrics, mystique, direction, soul....... the list goes on and these are just some of the issues that that the bands hardcore fans have with the album.
IMO its missing good songs and tight production. SUC for instance is the kind of tune that U2 would normally release as a b-side and they spent 16 months on that song!. It is also worth noting that many people stated that magnificent would would bring that album to a larger audience (which didn't happen) and now hopes are being pinned on "crazy tonight" which will have more people scratching their heads due to its pointless lyrics.

As much as I respect U2 I feel that they have dropped the ball with this album and outside of the fan forums it is pretty much dead in the water.

Well said.

Amen brother.

Cheers,

J

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2009, 09:33:09 AM »
Jick you make me laugh, you loved a bit of crazy tonight on release, you were shouting from the rooftops or should I say the hills or the mountains 'as you start out the climb' you are a contradiction dude.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2009, 09:49:50 AM »
It has good songs like the first 5 songs, and breathe

concepts of JT and AB

so what else is the album missing?

whats making it good not great

A horizon.   ;D

Naw, kidding, i know it's been said before, but they started out on the wrong foot with Boots.

HTDAAB- Vertigo
ATYCLB- Beautiful Day
Pop- Discotheque

The last 3 records have strong 1st singles, even pop's Discotheque did very well.

Another thing is how the record is, well, a mess. But a very strong and awesome sounding mess.

People would rather listen to a record now that sounds the same, it's sort of sad that people i know want absoultely no varity. NLOTH has rock, pop, even a bit og gospel and punk in it, and there are different groupings of tracks. People just aren't big on this kind of thing.

As what it happes to be missing is the right promotion. Try to get a performance on VHI or MTV, if they wanted newer fans, they needed to connect to them more, Letterman won't cut it.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2009, 09:56:06 AM »
It's a concept album, pure and simple. It's not all that accessible, it has some strokes of genius but I think the main problem with the album is it's not all that enjoyable to listen to, it's a real downer in places. There are moments of that uplifting feeling but it's not half as much fun as listening to how to or all that you can't, that I am sure of.......