Author Topic: Kinda cool and sad at the same time  (Read 9242 times)

Offline Thehorsefly [whinny!]

• Desert Rose
  • Nobody gonna feel no pain,Nobody gonna cry someday
Kinda cool and sad at the same time
« on: December 21, 2008, 12:41:09 AM »
 Well... at school on Friday I had to write a paper. We had to use some thinking skills we had gone over in the class, such as comparing and contrasting. So, I was in the school library, trying to think of two things to compare and contrast when I thought about comparisons that have been made between "Boy" and HTDAAB.
That was actually kind of fun to write about... all the similarities and differences, differences within the basic similarities between them... Oops! Sorry! This is going to be a long starting message!

Anyway, later that day I got to play hang man with some class mates since we had a substitute teacher and half the people weren't present. For a song, (already knowing that most of my peers at school know little if anything at all about U2) I put up the blanks for the whopping 8 word title "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" . Took them a while, since even though they knew that it was a U2 song, they really didn't know of any of their songs! That's sad, but it sure is something that distinguishes me from them! They don't know what they're missing! Or at least I think so.

tragic comedy
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 01:12:32 AM by Thehorsefly »

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
Re: Kinda cool and sad at the same time
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 01:40:59 AM »
It is kind of sad that most people don't know anything about U2 other than the lead front man wears funny glasses. 

• Desert Rose
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 01:50:31 AM »
 I have plenty of people that I know at school ask me "Who's Bono?" or maybe after seeing a picture of him on a book cover "Who's he?"
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????????? Plenty ask me "What's U2?" and explanation follows...
had to do that a few times.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 04:18:26 AM by Thehorsefly »

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 02:18:28 AM »
U2 are the biggest band in the world, yet there are so many oblivious people out there. It is a bit sad.

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 03:19:43 AM »
Then there are those idiots who keep on saying that Bono is a moron blah blah.

And yeah, good point, those people need to extend their musical knowledge past Fallout Boy and the Pussycat Dolls.  ;)

• Desert Rose
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 04:17:00 AM »
Indeed they do!

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 04:36:22 AM »
Bear in mind that the band are in their late 40's - it's hard to keep in the mainstream media at that age ahead of younger bands - although they still do a pretty good job of it. Also it's over 4 years since bomb, so lots of teenagers wouldn't have been into their rock music at that time. I'm pretty sure in a few months nearly all kids will know who U2 are. I don't mind the situation too much - I prefer it when less "pop" fans like the bands I like, leaves more room for a proper discussion with real fans.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 04:45:50 AM »
Anyway we shouldn't worry; at least U2 isn't making a fool of themselves in public - they are in the news for good reasons nearly all the time. It just shows the teenagers has bad tastes in celebrities and music - why the hell would I care if Britney is having another break-down or Madonna is having a divorce--OH NO END OF THE WORLD!  :o :o

In a way, being a U2 fan gives you a sort of enlightenment - it helped me to become innovative in my work and see things differently. Thats something The PussyCat Dolls can never do (and thousands of other meaningless artists -___- )

For the record, I am a teenager so I can see both sides of the spectrum - again something U2 has taught me  ;D
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 04:47:24 AM by Nielsen »

Offline TheFlyingLemon

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 12:06:37 AM »
Likewise Nielsen, almost all teenagers play all the crappy mainstream garbage, not very many teenagers have intelligent choices in music.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 02:33:49 AM »
Unlucky for me- I have to put up with that crap every single bloody day in College >.<
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 07:20:42 AM by Nielsen »

Offline TheFlyingLemon

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 04:32:40 AM »
Guess you should just turn up the U2 machine loud so that it drowns the annoying crap out.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 05:41:48 AM »
Always do  ;D

Offline BeneathTheNoise

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 03:44:05 PM »
Yeesh. they don't know U2..?? Makes you wonder what their parents are listening to at home.  :-\

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 12:25:08 AM »
After Tom Petty played the Super Bowl, my daughter came home from school the next day and most of her classmates asked "who was that old guy?".  Unfortunately, U2 fits in the same category for most middle schoolers and high schoolers, since the last time U2 released an album, all of the high schoolers were in middle school or elementary school.  I hope they are able to stake a claim for relevancy with the youth on "Horizon"

Offline TheFlyingLemon

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 04:49:01 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Always do  ;D

Keep it up.  ;)