Author Topic: Kinda cool and sad at the same time  (Read 9245 times)

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
Re: Kinda cool and sad at the same time
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2008, 06:33:12 PM »
Yeah I'm 27 and my wife (26) works with some women in their late 30s. They love U2 and can't believe someone as young(young?) as me would listen to U2. Wish they knew I have been listening since I was in 7th grade.

It seems weird people liking bands that have all the infighting and controversy. I didn't realize how common bands screwing over the fans, each other and themselves was, because I listened to U2. Now I know not to take them for granted!

Offline macphisto

• Party Girl/Boy
  • In te domine.
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2008, 11:09:14 PM »
Actually, U2 appreciation all depends on your group.

I recently got invited to an apartment party hosted by a female friend in one of my classes. I showed up while my friends and some of her acquiantances were making dinner and such. I meandered over to the sofa and tried to look as dignified as possible in an unfamiliar situation. My friend then told me to put some music on. Being the U2 proselyte that I am, I popped out a portable copy of Achtung Baby from my bag that I keep with me for such occasions. The evening wore on and more people arrived. However, I remember noticing that most people at the apartment knew the songs, especially Mysterious Ways. I saw a guy move his hips in a Jim Morrisonesque type of way when the intro to the Fly was played. Hands down, the highlight of the night was when this hipster chick who looked like the spitting image of Mia Wallace gazed at me through smoke-rings, mouthing what I'm pretty dang sure was the line And the hunter will sin for your ivory skin.... If that isn't feminine chic, I'm not sure what is.

So Nielsen, I think the sophistication, age, and savviness of a group of gathered individuals determines their appreciation for true art.
Additionally, a lot of my fellow classmates in the Honors section at my university really dig the Hype.

This isn't a constant but rather an observation: the more unique and different your acquaintances are in regards to the average individual, the more likely they are to have some type of spiritual/lyrical/emotional journey that resonates with the music of U2.

Boys play rock and roll,
macphisto

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2008, 11:17:47 PM »
Cool story there Macphisto, great read.   ;)

Offline macphisto

• Party Girl/Boy
  • In te domine.
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2008, 11:29:39 PM »
Thank you Vlad.

I'm dangerous because I'm honest... ;D

Offline TheFlyingLemon

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2008, 11:37:25 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thank you Vlad.

No problem, always interesting to hear other members stories.

Offline Malachi

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Is in cyberspace
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2008, 05:37:48 AM »
Well the gap between albums never helps. When HTDAAB was released I had just started secondary school that september aged 12. I kinda new their music because of my parents. Well I turned 16 in november, and still no new album. I will probably be 17 by the time I see them live. The gap between album doesn't help.

Mal

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2008, 07:56:23 AM »
Why's there so much resentment for teenagers here, I guess there's a few parents on these forums  :D. Nobody HAS to like U2, don't be so snobbish about all other types of mainstream music. Some I think is crap, but I don't talk down people who like it. Plus there is plenty of other good music out there, you just have to be bothered to look for it rather than listening to mainstream radio.

Offline TheStoogeU2

• Wanderer
  • The goal is SOUL!
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2008, 08:31:00 AM »
I just hate the music these days. When someone at school asks me about music, it goes like this:

Person: Do you like rap?
Me: No, rock.
P: What?!?! How do you not like rap+hiphop?!?! Oh well, whose your favorite band? Falloutboy?
M: No, U2
P: What??
M:Youuuuuu-Toooooo
P: Never heard of them. You should listen to Kid Rock. He has the best voice.
M: *facepalm*

Offline Malachi

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Is in cyberspace
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2008, 09:31:04 AM »
I just hate the music these days. When someone at school asks me about music, it goes like this:

P: What?!?! How do you not like rap+hiphop?!?! Oh well, whose your favorite band? Falloutboy?

So im not alone.

Thats everyone at my school lol.
Except for me. obviously :D

and dn't get me started on kid rock >:(

Mal

Offline MEMORY_MAN

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I must follow the path to the endless road...
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2008, 11:07:56 AM »
It was the same for me in the 90s when I was in High School. 

Offline TheFlyingLemon

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2008, 04:49:43 PM »

Hahahaha, that's funny.  ;D

Though you're lucky because whenever I say that I like U2 the other people just laugh, and they joke "you like U2" hahaha.

:D

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2008, 04:58:48 PM »
The thing that bugs me the most is that when people say they don't like U2 most of them have no valid explanation for it  ??? ???

Offline TheFlyingLemon

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2008, 05:13:38 PM »
Yeah, they just say they suck even though they've only heard 2-3 songs by them.

Offline bonovox66

• Refugee
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2008, 09:57:28 AM »
I work with a lot of people in there 30's and 40's and they get a puzzled look when I start talking about U2 or mention Bono. So its not just teenagers. Worst of all I work with a lady that didn't know who I was talking about when I said I was going to see Ringo a few years back.

I've met people that have never even heard of U2 or The Beatles. I can understand not knowing the songs maybe but to never of heard of them  :-\

The biggest irony of it all is most the bands people like nowadays are just ripping off U2 or The Beatles (*cough*cough* Coldplay)

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2008, 10:15:57 AM »
In My Place was just an obvious attempt to rob The Edge's guitar work -_- But still a very good song  :P
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 12:52:29 PM by Nielsen »