Author Topic: Kinda cool and sad at the same time  (Read 9240 times)

Offline onetreehill

• Up With the Sun
  • to the rhythm of my soul
Re: Kinda cool and sad at the same time
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2008, 05:19:14 AM »
I was made fun of back in the 80's for liking them, many people told me they didn't like them because the lead singer didn't sing, he screamed in his songs (I assume they were referring to Pride).

I discovered U2 through college radio at the time, I also remember in my home town we had a new radio station that played "alternative" music and the list was pretty extensive.

It is different today, other than if you can afford satellite radio you are stuck with top 40 station after top 40 station.

And there is sooooooo much more great music out there that has never had radio play.

Offline bonogirl

• Stateless
  • As the music played, I saw my life turn around
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2008, 06:29:00 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Anyway we shouldn't worry; at least U2 isn't making a fool of themselves in public - they are in the news for good reasons nearly all the time. It just shows the teenagers has bad tastes in celebrities and music - why the hell would I care if Britney is having another break-down or Madonna is having a divorce--OH NO END OF THE WORLD!  :o :o

In a way, being a U2 fan gives you a sort of enlightenment - it helped me to become innovative in my work and see things differently. Thats something The PussyCat Dolls can never do (and thousands of other meaningless artists -___- )

For the record, I am a teenager so I can see both sides of the spectrum - again something U2 has taught me  ;D
You are very fortunate to know. 8)

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2008, 05:35:05 PM »
I played Discotheque to a friend and I asked him to guess who it was by and he couldn't guess it and I said U2 and he replied "O RLY?"

Offline oopski

• Stateless
  • And i don't know how to pray anymore
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2008, 07:59:46 PM »
No, not kinda cool-Wicked Cool!! I am an old school music listener, well, I guess I'm old!!!!  But to read your comments on how other people don't get U2, etc, well, it gives me great hope for the young people of the world. I am the last of the babyboomers and hate to even admit it-but they did start to change the world thru music, it just is taking a wicked long time!
And to anyone who gives you crap for listening to old guys-I get crap for my absolute adoration of Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald! Give them a listen-they (oh, you young girl singers, LISTEN and LEARN from ella)will blow you away!

Offline Thehorsefly [whinny!]

• Desert Rose
  • Nobody gonna feel no pain,Nobody gonna cry someday
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2009, 10:22:41 AM »
 A good song is a good song regardless of when it was made, and hopefully some of my peers will pick up on that!

Offline P-FLO

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Outside It's America.
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2009, 06:41:16 PM »
Fall Out Boy - an 'emo' band (don't know how any of their songs are emotional  ???)
Pussycat Dolls - More sex objects than "musicians".

I really don't see how Fall Out Boy, Panic At The Disco, or any of the other supposed "emo" bands are in any way emotional. Dashboard Confessional, yes. All the other crappy pop-rock bands, no.

And you know what's really sad? People who think goth and emo are the same. (Or worse, people who call any screamo crap "goth metal.")

Offline TheFlyingLemon

« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2009, 07:59:36 PM »
Oh yeah, that emo screamo crap where the "singer" is screaming his lungs out, you can't even tell what he/she is singing, luckily that hasn't hit the mainstream but Fallout Boy has. Which is a pity cause Fallout Boy are really terrible.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2009, 11:21:48 AM »
Oh yeah, that emo screamo crap where the "singer" is screaming his lungs out, you can't even tell what he/she is singing, luckily that hasn't hit the mainstream but Fallout Boy has. Which is a pity cause Fallout Boy are really terrible.

They usually employ the classic heavy, grungy guitar work and jump around the place - not really enthusiastic - more chaotic. Same could be said for My Chemical Romance -_-

Offline Dark Angel

• Oh HAI
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2009, 12:23:38 PM »
I prefer the underground music scene, but I do have a mutual respect for the pussycat dolls.  By that I mean if there is a girl (Jessica Sutta) in it with a cleft lip and she dosent let it get her down there could be a little more hope in this world for people like me...

Anyway FOB, and Panic! should be shot for causing pain to our ears.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 12:27:42 PM by Darkangel »

Offline TheFlyingLemon

« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2009, 03:28:41 PM »

They usually employ the classic heavy, grungy guitar work and jump around the place - not really enthusiastic - more chaotic. Same could be said for My Chemical Romance -_-

And Linkin Park, Nickelback.

Offline macphisto

• Party Girl/Boy
  • In te domine.
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2009, 04:20:16 PM »
I'd like to weigh in again.

For all my fellow zootopians, I have to applaud your great taste in music. The music of U2 is, beyond a doubt, timeless and classic. It's a musical journey that I hope will not end any time in the near future.

That being said, I think some of the negative criticism on this thread about modern music needs to be taken with a grain of salt. There is the matter of subjectivity. But beyond that, perhaps it would help to think of music in the following terms. While it may be easy to writeoff the likes of Fall Out Boy or even Creed (Jehovah, do they suck!), remember that most modern music is corporate controlled. The problem with music nowadays is not so much owing to the presence/lack of star talent. Rather, it has to do with the approach applied.

Music has become entirely too formulaic. Those in charge of the music industries have shifted towards repeated methods over and over instead of searching innovative talent or pushing the envelope on original musical composition. Boy bands, screamo trios, gangsta rap, and overnight one-hit pop wonders all testify to the overapplication of formula over substance. Boy bands look cute and sell trite records by using gender appeal. Screamo utilizes some unholy cocktail of suburban rage and nihilism that appeals to the kid that feels neglected by the mainstream; thus, there's never any room in this genre for creativity and the whole shebang sounds the same: confused, constipated, and loud in an entirely anti-punk way. I don't even need to go into gangsta rap beyond mentioning the idea of self-entitlement based around material possession. And as for the likes of Kate Perry and such, the goal of these musicians isn't longevity - it's one hit bubblegum tunes intended for single-serving consumption and nothing more.

The problems with music is entirely the approach. Where U2 differs is in terms of their experimentation and commitment to excellent composition. That's not to say that everything in their canon has been par excellence. It hasn't. However, regardless of shortcomings or blunders that U2 might have made in regards to their music, I'd find someone hardpressed to accuse the band of failure due to their approach.

All things considered, I feel blessed to have discovered this band.
Good day.

And watch more TV.

I will sing sing a new song,
macphisto

Offline TheFlyingLemon

« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2009, 04:28:06 PM »
Spot on there macphisto.  8)  :)

Plus, who are Creed?

Offline P-FLO

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Outside It's America.
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2009, 06:34:22 PM »
Who are Creed? Look up the songs "With Arms Wide Open," "One Last Breath," "My Sacrifice," and "Higher." (The only Creed songs anyone cares about.) They should sound pretty familiar if you've listened to the radio over the past ten years.

Linkin Park's singer Chester Bennington actually has quite a strong voice, capable of delivering some good emotion. A pity most of that emotion is unfiltered, unapologetic angst. Their song "Leave Out All The Rest" could have been an incredible pop ballad - but in the hands of a nu-metal band trying to emote, it just sounds generic.

Oh, and the worst bands in the world are Limp Bizkit, Twiztid, ICP, and anything else labelled "horrorcore" or whose fans refer to themselves as "juggalos."

Offline TheFlyingLemon

« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2009, 06:45:43 PM »
Oh yeah, im pretty sure i've heard "With Arms Wide Open" Is that the one with the singer who has a deep and growling sort of voice?

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2009, 06:52:59 AM »
Hey, P-FLO.  I think Vlad is just yanking your chain.   ;)