Poll

What is your Myer's Briggs Personality Type?

ISTJ
ESTJ
ISFJ
ESFJ
ISTP
ESTP
ESFP
ISFP
ENTJ
INTJ
ENTP
INTP
ENFJ
INFJ
ENFP
INFP

Author Topic: What's Your MBPT?  (Read 34444 times)

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
Re: What's Your MBPT?
« Reply #150 on: December 14, 2013, 08:18:02 AM »
Did this again and got some pretty big changes...

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #151 on: December 14, 2013, 08:23:29 AM »
Clearly the purpose of the test is to put someone in a specific box, which is why you ask "what is your personality type?" and give people *a* box to tick from a choice of many boxes.  Far from it being very flexible it's actually a rigid tool.

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #152 on: December 14, 2013, 10:26:17 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Clearly the purpose of the test is to put someone in a specific box, which is why you ask "what is your personality type?" and give people *a* box to tick from a choice of many boxes.  Far from it being very flexible it's actually a rigid tool.

TD, do not mistake my poll for the MBTI tool. The actual assessment asks 99 to 144 distinct questions, which are designed to scale among the 4 dichotomies. Also, I think I made it pretty clear that the link I provided for this thread was not the actual assessment, but an online tool that I found to be relatively accurate.

Having obtained my certification and being an extreme doubter, I can still state that the tool is indeed very flexible as these things go. Most assessments have a distinct outcome. MBTI is the only one to my knowledge that not only allows but insists that the applicant self validate.

From your posts, it seems you have had a bad experience with MBTI so it probably isn't for you. Nothing wrong with that.

Offline Belisama

« Reply #153 on: December 14, 2013, 10:29:23 AM »
Did this again and got some pretty big changes...

Aqua, given your age and the age you were when you last took the assessment, that is not surprising.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #154 on: December 14, 2013, 11:10:18 AM »
I don't like describing the test as a tool. I just think of it as a psychologist's assessment on individuals using specific criteria. I never gave much thought to its practical use...

Forgot to say, but congratulations on getting certified :) I assume that's a big deal.

Offline Belisama

« Reply #155 on: December 14, 2013, 11:55:02 AM »
I don't like describing the test as a tool. I just think of it as a psychologist's assessment on individuals using specific criteria. I never gave much thought to its practical use...

Forgot to say, but congratulations on getting certified :) I assume that's a big deal.

Thank you, EC. It is something I have been wanting for myself for a very longtime.

I understand about the use of the word "tool." No disrespect is made. It is common in training. Just a way of expressing the things we use. One does not have to be a psychologist to administer the MBTI.  And there is no criteria to become certified. In my session there was a woman there who was still working on her undergrad degree.

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #156 on: December 15, 2013, 06:26:37 AM »
I think the MBTI test is fairly good as far as these tests go. The test I don't think makes any pretensions towards perfection or anything close to it. It just offers a useful way of seeing personalities (no sole way of seeing personalities is useful, but when integrated with other knowledge it may well be). It makes educated links between traits. Isn't that something we all try to do? And not for generalisation but for the abstraction of general principles which may be helpful in particular circumstances. I think it is perfectly worthwhile and I also think that the personality types are pretty accurate. Any test which asks questions LIKE "are you often late for appointments?", which is patently far too ambiguous to mean any one thing or another, I don't think is being anything more than suggestive and empirical. I think the test has some fairly sound empirical foundations.

I have seen a lot of people find really close matches to their personalities, and when dealing in very broad terms, it's almost always got some pretty big things right about you. I've also seen a lot of people take it far too seriously... it's not supposed to be a horoscope; it's not supposed to be telling things about you to you. At least personally, if taken as food for thought about what the implications of particular traits might be, I think it is genuinely effective.

Are you interested about how traits manifest themselves and what synergy they generate with others? If so, it's probably worth having a look at. It's a fairly solid way of realizing things you have at one level always known about yourself... and have an explanation offering itself to you as to why.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #157 on: December 15, 2013, 06:38:33 AM »
Load of utter bo****ks.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #158 on: December 15, 2013, 01:18:48 PM »
brunette, 5'6" to 6'1", curvy.

8)

#@!

still truer than true.  ;)

Offline A_Fly_On_The_Wall

• Deep In the Heart
  • Doing My Best Work In Your Disbelief Of Existence
« Reply #159 on: December 16, 2013, 07:52:49 PM »
I took this test when Beli started this thread and my result was an ENFJ.

It's still the same now  :)

Offline Belisama

« Reply #160 on: December 17, 2013, 02:16:56 AM »
I took this test when Beli started this thread and my result was an ENFJ.

It's still the same now  :)

Not unusual. Most people report no change in their results, and if there is a change chances are it is only with one "letter."

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #161 on: December 17, 2013, 02:59:52 AM »
Or they do it multiple times and get different results...

Offline Belisama

« Reply #162 on: December 17, 2013, 05:55:32 AM »
Or they do it multiple times and get different results...

That usually happens with someone who has not shown a strong preference towrads a specific dichotomy, which is why it is preferable for someone to take it and then review their results with a counselor. But as with any test, if you take it too many times, you become familiar with the questions and this will skew your results, so it is recommended that you take the test three years apart.

Over the past 60 years the MBTI has shown to have a 39-76% reliability (consistency) rate with retesting - which is pretty good in the world of psychology.  Validity is a little harder to prove as you have to ascribe to Jung's theory of preference and further ascribe to Isabel Meyer's method of testing. If you don't, then there are other assesments.