Author Topic: The Theme of the album  (Read 2704 times)

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
The Theme of the album
« on: December 21, 2008, 05:21:28 PM »
Hi all,

I just thought I'd get the gossip going on what you think the whole theme of the album will be and what kind of music we can expect to hear from one of the greatest bands ever to have graced this planet. From what various people have said and what I've heard from the u 2ube videos, it sounds very groundbreaking and I really think they've tried to challenge themselves once more. The previous two albums were a throwback to their old work and there's a lot of reference to boy particularly but I think they wanted to push the boundaries again this time round.

A penny for your thoughts.....

Eddie

Offline onetreehill

• Up With the Sun
  • to the rhythm of my soul
Re: The Theme of the album
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 10:40:48 PM »
Hey Eddie,

I think it will of course be great, but from what they are saying I think it will be like Actung baby and Pop all rolled into one but kicked up a notch with a great flow from one song to another.  I am very excited as is everyone else.  I liked the last two albums, but the thing I like about the Actung, Zooropa, Pop trio was the energy behind it.  It seems like what has been said that this level of energy is here.  I love everything they do, and I love that unlike other bands that "sound the same" U2 has a unique gift to move forward and change and have different sounds yet there is always a "U2" sound to it.

As for a theme, I have noooooo idea?  I guess we will just have to wait until march to find out. 

Revolver7

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 11:13:34 PM »
I don't think any of us will know for sure until the actual album comes out...the first single will give us an idea though!  8)

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 03:22:39 PM »
They could always to a Beatles White Album - a mix of songs which lead off into different directions.

Offline adam1

• Refugee
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 04:11:52 PM »
That's what I mentioned in another post. It's doubtful this will be done. All of their albums have had a continuous flow, - 'October' being more mellow & piano driven, 'War' being bombastic and loud, 'R & H' having influences from the deep south.

That is why I think it will be a single CD. They may have recorded a lot of stuff but will only release songs that fit into the overall mood  of the album.

I'd love it if they did a 'White Album' esq album of 30 songs with no overall direction. Include the Rubin stuff. So what if half of the songs may be duds. I bet the other half would be gems. Everyone could compare it to the 'White Album' as well & debate what the best double album of all time is.

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 05:55:43 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
They could always to a Beatles White Album - a mix of songs which lead off into different directions.

Yeah like different sounds throughout the whole album, where there is no theme just a lot of heavy delicious music to inhale..no line on the horizon, no straight and narrow, totally open...

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 06:02:21 PM »
I commented something similar to the following in another thread but oh well.

One of the draws to U2 is that their albums are greater as a whole than just 10 or 11 great songs. Most of their albums are the cream of their few years work. I know their is a lot of Achtung Baby/Pop feeling around comments, but as a Joshua Tree champion (with the last 2 albums right behind) I am hoping that Eno and Lanois can pull that epic feeling from the songs. When I listen to the Joshua Tree I feel like I am with them in the US west. The songs kept a grand scale. I'm ok with experimenting and ramping up the energy, but we always hear about U2 "finally making a rock album" and we usually get a Vertigo or Beautiful Day followed by a lot of really great, but toned down tunes. I'm not complaining, but let's not expect fist pumping rock out album.

But I trust we'll be surprised regardless of our expectations, and would we be talking about them 4 years after the last album if they ceased to surprise us?

Offline Malachi

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Is in cyberspace
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 04:20:29 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The songs kept a grand scale. I'm ok with experimenting and ramping up the energy, but we always hear about U2 "finally making a rock album" and we usually get a Vertigo or Beautiful Day followed by a lot of really great, but toned down tunes. I'm not complaining, but let's not expect fist pumping rock out album.

I quite agree with you on that.

But I so hope you wrong. ;) :D

Mal