Author Topic: SPOILER: June 17 full-band rehearsal  (Read 44262 times)

Offline highway190

• Refugee
  • Not telling you where the J Tree is.
Re: SPOILER: June 17 full-band rehearsal
« Reply #165 on: June 19, 2009, 11:33:41 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What a bunch of pissy little children some of you are!
Shut up. GROW up!
If you don't like it, sell your tickets.
Jesus God in heaven.
Crybaby moron j****** retards.
Is this a FAN forum? Or a "I am going to whine about everything I see and hear and complain endlessly about every mundane detail then cry when MY favorite song isn't included..."
Wow.

Someone lauded COLDPLAY?
They can't hold a candle to U2 live.
Go see Muse. That is a band that is a force to be reckoned with live. Coldplay comes off thin, and smaller than the records. U2 and Muse are bigger and better live.
Coldplay.
Jesus.

I just wonder why you feel like you must use God's name in vain so much, I know that you are angry about how people are acting on here, but it's really inappropriate and offensive to me.  Also, you must not know anyone who has a child with down's syndrome, if you did you would not be using the R. word like you do. :(

God name in vain? Eh I couldn't care less, doesn't matter to me.
But the R word? Yeah, wtf ,man? My class full of Autistic/Down's children could probably express themselves better than you did in that convoluted post. I also have a few whose IQ scores are probably triple yours buddy.

mariamontreal

« Reply #166 on: June 19, 2009, 12:09:32 PM »
Ave Maria ? I seen it on the set list for Barcelona. Cool I love that song , that was the last song on the list . Interesting .

Vonobox

« Reply #167 on: June 19, 2009, 12:25:46 PM »
Shut up. GROW up!
Jesus God in heaven.
Is this a FAN forum? Or a "I am going to whine about everything I see and hear and complain endlessly about every mundane detail then cry when MY favorite song isn't included..."
Wow.

Someone lauded COLDPLAY?
Go see Muse. That is a band that is a force to be reckoned with live. Coldplay comes off thin, and smaller than the records. U2 and Muse are bigger and better live.
Coldplay.
Jesus.

I just wonder why you feel like you must use God's name in vain so much, I know that you are angry about how people are acting on here, but it's really inappropriate and offensive to me.  Also, you must not know anyone who has a child with down's syndrome, if you did you would not be using the R. word like you do. :(

But the R word? Yeah, wtf ,man? My class full of Autistic/Down's children could probably express themselves better than you did in that convoluted post. I also have a few whose IQ scores are probably triple yours buddy.

Highway, I appreciate your sentiment about insensitive language, but it's hard to take you seriously when you quote CountryGirl to support your position about the R word but then dump on her request that we take the blaspheming down a notch. 

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
« Reply #168 on: June 19, 2009, 12:46:06 PM »
To people dissing Elevation, please go see some videos of live performances, especially the Milan Version, they turned an average song into a live masterpiece !

x2!  Although this will be my first time seeing them, one of my fave parts of the live gigs where they've played it is right when they kick all the instruments in and the crowd goes INSANE.  It's absolutely incredible at Slane... watch it again NOW.  It's a wonderful opening, and for them to put it as the encore-opener it's going to be really cool.

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
« Reply #169 on: June 19, 2009, 12:49:34 PM »
Oh yeah, and by the way my 2c for those "upset" with the setlist(s).  They are not playing my fave two songs (Bad/AIWIY) but do I care?

HECK NO.

I am just thrilled that this is a band I can list more than 40 songs that I *love*, so I know for a fact that 90% of the setlist is going to make me happy.

U2 are not one hit wonders, so no matter what they do we should know that we're going to love most of it.

If you only like 3/4 U2 songs, well, you must enjoy one-hit-wonder bands concerts then.

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #170 on: June 19, 2009, 01:02:28 PM »
I have seen all of these songs (except for the new CD of course) live before at least a few times and I get excited everytime.  I wouldn't scoff at anything here even if they have played it 100 times.  All of these comments that okay or bleh will disappear once you we are there.  This is a great set list.  I am stoked.  This will kick a@$.  Can't wait for Rose Bowl.

very true... I forgot which tour it was the Vertigo tour, where I thought I heard enough of New Year's Day (on paper), and even got a little disappointed when I heard the first notes live.  But once the performance kicked it, it was another story, and I was happy they played it.  It was amazingly powerful.  

I think alot of people (not all) complaining about a song being overplayed it may be due to their own fault in playing it too much or hearing it too much on radio.  LIVE is completely different.

Now I know this is not true for all songs.  Pride for example is both overplayed and has NOT been as good live in recent tours.  However, I have a feeling that it will come back to glory on this tour.  For the Historical impact of the 1st African American US president has had on Bono alone.  But also, it and the rest of UF fits well with NLOTH

Also there are some songs that are not my favorite recorded... but LIVE they are favorites:

Bad
Elevation
Vertigo
Walk On
Bullet (though with this one, due to other songs surpassing it, I can be happy with it being replaced)
Beautiful Day (I did not really appreciate it until I experienced it live... frickin monster live)
Miracle Drug (already loved it, but my god it explodes live)
Electric Co

I would have to disagree with people who say that Sunday Bloody Sunday has lost it... During Elevation, I would agree completely.  The slowed pace (yet not the calm yearning quiet one with Edge singing used during Popmart) did not suit it well on Elevation.  BUT on Vertigo they picked up the pace and overall energy and Larry drums were brought up more.  During Vertigo it was a monster and fit SO WELL in that middle section of Love and Peace, Bullet and SBS.  those 3 together were insane (with exception of the minor let down of Bullet being slowed too much toward the end, and fading away more than punctuating an ending.)  The double ending of Sunday Bloody Sunday was also brought back and really energized

I also disagree with people saying Mysterious Ways is a drag.  First, the crowd response alone nullifies this.  Second, all 4 memebers really get into the song.  Edge always does great guitar work here, Larry and Adam shine, and Bono always does some good adlib and inserts or extends appropriate songs into Mysterious ways.  I have NEVER been let down by this song,  

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #171 on: June 19, 2009, 01:03:38 PM »
Bottom line for me, since this is my first U2 concert...

Play whatever they please, i'll still love it!!!  ;D

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #172 on: June 19, 2009, 01:06:03 PM »
Bottom line for me, since this is my first U2 concert...

Play whatever they please, i'll still love it!!!  ;D

Here here!

But for the 100th time,please play:

ULTRAVIOLET

mariamontreal

« Reply #173 on: June 19, 2009, 01:24:03 PM »
Agree ULTRAVIOLET PLEASE !  As I said earlier, I am happy with all the songs they choose I love them all  , but honestly,I would love  to hear all of Achtung Baby. Of course that is being unrealistic. Doesn't hurt to dream !
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 01:31:19 PM by mariamontreal »

Offline highway190

• Refugee
  • Not telling you where the J Tree is.
« Reply #174 on: June 19, 2009, 01:29:31 PM »
Shut up. GROW up!
Jesus God in heaven.
Wow.

Someone lauded COLDPLAY?
Coldplay.
Jesus.

Highway, I appreciate your sentiment about insensitive language, but it's hard to take you seriously when you quote CountryGirl to support your position about the R word but then dump on her request that we take the blaspheming down a notch. 

Eh, I disagreed with one part, agreed with another?
Not everyone believes in God, get over it.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 02:08:34 PM by highway190 »

Vonobox

« Reply #175 on: June 20, 2009, 10:55:24 AM »
Highway, your religious beliefs are not at issue; your hypocrisy is.

Don't take a forum poster to task for posting insensitive comments ("But the R word? Yeah, wtf ,man? My class full of Autistic/Down's children") while simultaneously taking a dump on somebody else trying to do the same thing ("God name in vain? Eh I couldn't care less")

I'm not suggesting that you can't agree with one thing somebody writes and disagree with another thing written by that same person.  I called you out on your post only because the way you presented your argument lacks credibility.  And candidly, because I tend to regard blasphemy much the same way you regard use of the word "retard". 

You are totally welcome to express your beliefs, and my guess is you enjoy having the freedom to make statements like "not everyone believes in God, get over it" because you've put another stupid Christain in their place for waving the God-flag at you.  But all you've accomplished is making yourself look less credible.

What you did is tantamount to punching one of your students in the face to teach him a lesson for punching another student in the face. 

My fear is that you fail to see your post as hypocrisy; hypocrites tend to be defensive, narrow-minded and self-centered.  I wish you all the best on your birth-school-work-rendezvous with death, and I would encourage you towards being fair, objective, open-minded, and other-centered as you can be. 

What would it hurt to aspire towards those goals, just in case you're not 100% on target about the whole God-thing?

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #176 on: June 20, 2009, 12:54:28 PM »
as the old saying goes...you can't please all the people all of the time.........and they can't either...just go and enjoy it!

so if you can't please all people what should you do?  please yourself and everyone will follow.  springsteen and phish have that figured out better than most artists.  challenge yourself, keep yourself fresh and the fans will be there.  many of their website forums are filled with what surprise song will the band bust out next, while most of our requests are a pipe dream at best.  what happens is a U2 show is sometimes too much like a broadway play with all the lights and images.  it forces the band to keep a static setlist for the sake of the show.  this worked wonders on Zoo TV cause people didnt know the setlist before night one.  but these are different times.  we all know the story of how red hill mining town was supposed to be the single and not i still haven't found, but u2 has chosen to let radio dictate the majority of their non-new material set and thus red hill mining town has never seen the stage.  and they let the media decide pretty much for them that Pop doesn't work.  in my opinion Please may have been the most powerful performance on both the Popmart and elevation tours.  bottom line is U2 has a huge catalog the majority of which is ignored live.  you can't honestly tell me U2 doesn't have an itch to play some of their non-radio hits from years past.  they wrote the songs so they must have been proud of them but somehow along the way the 4 of them decided nah lets just play enough hits each night.  go check out REM's last tour for a band that decided to rediscover what seemed like most of their back catalogue. 

i think the beef of many of the diehard fans is that U2 just doesn't challenge themselves live night in and night out.  and it doesn't help when the band makes comments that they can't play some songs they wrote live (i.e. acrobat).  my friend had a surprise birthday in ireland with a U2 tribute band and I requested Acrobat and they played it.  I've played acrobat myself live too.  in the end, U2 does not like leaving their comfort zone, and while that is fine, it is 2009 and we seem to know the song coming next before it's played.

sorry for ranting, but as a musician myself there is no way a singing crowd makes a tired song anymore exciting to play, it just makes it easier to hide behind the crowd and go through the numbers even less emotionally. 

Offline The Stingray Guitar

• Refugee
  • You're in my mind all of the time,
« Reply #177 on: June 23, 2009, 11:22:56 AM »
Wow someone putting Coldplay as better than U2? Dude, duck!  :)

Their Viva La Vida setlist is a hell of a lot better than U2's 360, and they have about 1/3rd of the catalog to work with.

I'll give U2 a pass though - Coldplay is in their "Achtung Baby" era now - their prime; and U2 is in their "Bruce Springsteen from the last 10 years" era - NOT mailing it in by any means, but not as great as they used to be.

Viva la Vida is twice the album that NLOTH is so that hurts U2 as well.  Magnificent is the best song on either album, but Coldplay doesn't have a bad song in the bunch - including Prospekt's March B-album.  U2 has about 4 god-awful songs on NLOTH and they're playing at least 2 of them live :barf:

Excuse me?
are you even a U2 fan?
Viva La Vida is.... well terrible (and I know i have a shared opinion) Viva La Vida has about 3 good songs and thats it. The rest is basically fill in material or is just music that gives me a headache whereas No Line On The Horizon has 3 excellent songs, 3 very good songs, 3 good songs and the other 2 are still alright I suppose. Am not saying NLOTH is perfect but its damn good, infact its in my top 5 of greatest albums ever

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #178 on: June 23, 2009, 11:32:32 AM »
... check day 8 out.

Could it be??? Finally Electrical Storm??

Offline analogk

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • My picture of Edge in 2005.
« Reply #179 on: June 24, 2009, 07:47:23 AM »
... check day 8 out.

Could it be??? Finally Electrical Storm??

Good catch.  Could be!