Author Topic: SPOILER: June 17 full-band rehearsal  (Read 44260 times)

Offline U2Roeli

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Re: SPOILER: June 17 full-band rehearsal
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2009, 01:28:23 AM »
Great first set.....I'd have thought Stand up comedy would be one of the first live songs te be played....

Offline kev346

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I'm ready I'm ready for the laughing gas
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2009, 02:49:16 AM »
Drowning Man and TUF . I'm so excited Ive just had to jump up and down and shout woohoo !!  ;D
I am 41 by the way hehe .i don't care the set list looks amazing !

Offline dangerous and honest

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Outside its a car park! Outside its a car park!
« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2009, 03:46:15 AM »

The most conlicting thing seems to be the order of the songs (assuming they are listed in the order they were rehearsed)

One list has MOS around the middle, the other at the end! Seems strange to confuse the positioning in that way.

Bearing in mind COBL and TUF are both rehearsed twice, so we have 19 different songs in one report and 21 in the other. Still scope to add plenty more material before the 30th - I'd be surprised if 'One' didn't make it in the end.

Offline croni

• Babyface
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2009, 03:55:40 AM »
Great set list

Delighted by the three Uís: Unforgettable Fire, Unknown Caller and Ultraviolet

Also In a little While is a great choice

Theyíve included my favourite songs from their last three albums 

I donít miss POP, apart from Please

And I still havenít found what Iím looking for is another fantastic choice

Itís a very fresh list and combining songs from Unforgettable Fire with No Line makes total sense

I think it gives the tour a more distinctive identity, the last tour seemed to struggle to find its own identity

Offline croni

• Babyface
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2009, 04:36:45 AM »
I'm glad they kind of snubbed HTDAAB and to some extent ATYCLB, apart from the really strong songs (Stuck in a Moment, Kite would be good as well)
a great selection from No Line, apart from Crazy and Boots, but I guess they have to play Boots
it'll be really interesting to see how unknown Caller comes out, could be amazing
I have a feeling Moment of Surrender might be special. it could be a great emotional high point, in a similar way to One was during Zoo TV (it's not as good as One but it covers the same emotional terrain)
I'm glad they're giving One a rest. Same with Unitl the End of the World. They're my two favourite u2 songs of all time but I think they need to take a break from them
As someone else has said Mysterious Ways hasn't been played right in years, kind of lifeless. The same goes for Pride and Bad, those songs have been lacking urgency for a long time.
Ultraviolet may have been picked because of The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. When that song came on in the cinema all I wanted was for U2 to play live on their next tour, and it looks like they will be!
Chances are the set list will change a bit, but as it is, its pure class!

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2009, 05:27:56 AM »
No Forty, One,Mysterious Ways,Love and Peace, Zoo Station,Stand Up?
They need a longer list. I'm sure a marathon show would suit everyone quite well.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 05:31:37 AM by whitewave »

Offline DRay9911

• Stateless
  • el pueblo vencera
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2009, 05:34:22 AM »
why in the world would they drop a new song they haven't even played once in concert yet?????

-dan

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Drop: Boots and Beautiful Day
Add: Red Hill Mining Town and So Cruel

Offline DRay9911

• Stateless
  • el pueblo vencera
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2009, 05:35:27 AM »
those are fighting words my friend

they can't drop mysterious ways, chicks DANCE to that song.

-dan

Why no FLY, MYSTERIOUS WAYS, or UNTIL THE END OF THE WORLD?
The lighting and stage theatrics just scream for this holy triumvirate of songs to be played.
Here's hoping that the boys put more Achtung and Pop into the act before coming stateside.

Mysterious Ways = Show Killer

They tend to play it too slow and it loses it's power.

Sydney_Mike

« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2009, 05:48:37 AM »
I'd like to see them have the courage to drop some of the icons like WOWY, Pride and Streets or rotate them on different nights. Yes, we all love them dearly but we've heard them live so many times and they are widely available on DVD etc.

Ultraviolet, TUF and Drowning Man are good choices for mixing it up for the fans, but if they want more ideas for songs to resurrect, they can always add Twilight, Gloria, Surrender and Please to rehearsals.

Offline Achtung_Habs

• Party Girl/Boy
  • In the name of Love
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2009, 06:07:08 AM »
The Unforgettable Fire !!??!  WOW

Ultraviolet     ;D

But the Pride, MLK, Streets trio has me anticipating my voice to go out by the end of this trio.

mariamontreal

« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2009, 06:26:08 AM »
Happy, happy, happy, there are songs I would like to hear that are not on the set list , but who is to say as the tour gets kicking they change things up a bit . They usually do. The new songs will be tested in the first few shows to  iron out the bugs. All in all it's going to be spectacular ! Can't wait . Looking forward to hearing the buzz and reviews  once they play the first show in Barcelona.  Hang in there  guys this one is going to be huge !

Offline TheFly

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2009, 06:36:12 AM »
MLK and The Unforgettable Fire are two of the songs i put in my set-list ideas. Drowning Man - brilliant! Really, really hope these three songs make it to the sets when they go live.

Offline boilerkop

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2009, 06:40:05 AM »
ZOO STATION, I want ZOO STATION.

Offline Falling At Your Feet

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2009, 06:57:37 AM »
It's early days and all of this is subject to change, but on the basis of the early reports:

I'm excited about whats been reported on the rehersals. HTDAAB songs reduced to 3 is good, dropping Mysterious Ways I am delighted with, as it often seems out of place on most setlists and it has been dropped back to "bonus song" position on recent DVD's, "Breathe" was essential to the setlist.

I like Angel Of Harlem, but there are other great songs on R & H that have rarely been played - Helter Skelter(22 years ago was the last airing of this), Hawkmoon 269(apart from lucky German fans who heard a medley of it in 2001), it too has not been played in full in almost 20 years.

They brought back a lot of "Actung Baby" on the last tour, so it's no surprise that a lot of this has been dropped, But still hoping for "Acrobat" to make it's live debut. Leave "One" off, it's great, but needs a break. I love Zoo Station too, but it's unlikely to make it this time around as it was done the last time.

Boy October and War songs almost ignored, but in fairness they have dipped into these albums on the last two tours, so no real surprise.
The one exception is Drowning Man, which  is a firm favourite with most U2 fans, and it will be great to hear it,but in the live context, there are much bettter War songs they could do. However, they may well have reworked it to better suit doing it live. Sunday Bloody Sunday and New Years Day are way overplayed and need a long rest. "Seconds" might be a nice one to include, I was lucky enough to see the last performance of it in Cork at my first U2 gig(1985), 25 years ago.

Nothing also from Zooropa or Pop.  - "Stay" will probably make an appearance at some point. "Hold Me Thrill Me" would be a nice addition also.

The Unforgettable Fire album is the real winner here, 3 songs from it on the rehersals,it's been a long while since they played 3 songs from this album at a live gig,we usually get only one which is usually "Pride",UF is a welcome addition and was last played almost 20 years ago !! MLK has hardly been played at all in the last 10 years. They have very few songs of this tempo so a welcome addition.

If I could pick one song that I am really looking forward to off the current album it has to be "Unknown Caller", while peoples opinions differ on the song quality, this is going to be a stunner live. The chanted chorus's are perfect for the live setting. 7 songs from the latest album is about the norm - no surprise there.

Scoring on initial rehersals 8/10 !
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 07:01:48 AM by Falling At Your Feet »

Offline j2736 (i'm not a boy ! )

• Desert Rose
  • watch more television
« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2009, 07:10:04 AM »
my opinion :

Ultraviolet - WOW!
MLK - WOW!
TUF - WOW!
Pride - WOW!
Drowning Man - WOW and WOW!
City of Blinding Lights - uh oh..
In a Little While - another uh oh...

I wish there will be Bad, The Ground Beneath Her Feet, Until The End of the World, One, New York, Gone, Stay

:)