Author Topic: boots on the setlist? hope not  (Read 5036 times)

Offline u2matters

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: boots on the setlist? hope not
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 09:22:23 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
i'm sorry for those who don't get it but Get On Your Boots is brilliant!! and of course it is going to be played live.

I second that

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 09:42:47 AM »
There's nothing to get about boots, it's a silly bubblegum tune with nothing but a half decent rhythm section. The song's chief problem is the riff isn't up to scratch, it works fine as a bass line but doesn't work as a lead guitar riff whatsoever. Listen to how Edge comes in and out of the song hitting a few power chords now and again and then disappearing from the song. Chief Justice Mullen probably advocated the inclusion of this song on the album because it is undoubtedly his song. I am a huge, huge U2 fan but for me and the majority of general music listeners think it is not a well executed song. It has some good vocal sections but it has been constructed in a way where the song doesn't have a natural flow. If it was so brilliant then it would have got to number one or done well commercially, this was not the case. It was U2's lead single and is one of the key reasons why the album hasn't done well since it's release.

Having said all of this I will undoubtedly sing along come July 24th because I love the band, I just find the song slightly embarassing
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 09:44:41 AM by eddyjedi »

Offline u2matters

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 10:01:23 AM »
There's nothing to get about boots, it's a silly bubblegum tune with nothing but a half decent rhythm section. The song's chief problem is the riff isn't up to scratch, it works fine as a bass line but doesn't work as a lead guitar riff whatsoever. Listen to how Edge comes in and out of the song hitting a few power chords now and again and then disappearing from the song. Chief Justice Mullen probably advocated the inclusion of this song on the album because it is undoubtedly his song. I am a huge, huge U2 fan but for me and the majority of general music listeners think it is not a well executed song. It has some good vocal sections but it has been constructed in a way where the song doesn't have a natural flow. If it was so brilliant then it would have got to number one or done well commercially, this was not the case. It was U2's lead single and is one of the key reasons why the album hasn't done well since it's release.

Having said all of this I will undoubtedly sing along come July 24th because I love the band, I just find the song slightly embarassing

I respect your take, yet disagree. I think Boots is MUCH better than Crazy ( the next single ). If anything off this album is embarrassing - its Crazy. To each their own...

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2009, 10:05:25 AM »
So Crazy's guitar solo doesn't make the hairs on the back of your neck stand  on end? It doesn't give you a glimpse into the past of the joshua tree or i still haven't found? Maybe it's just me then...Obviously it suffers lyrically but I think musically it's a gem of a song which is incredibly uplifting. I just think U2 are a little preoccupied with writing the ultimate pop tune and have been for the last few years; having said that I think it's a beautiful track in places

Offline u2matters

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2009, 10:14:07 AM »
So Crazy's guitar solo doesn't make the hairs on the back of your neck stand  on end? It doesn't give you a glimpse into the past of the joshua tree or i still haven't found? Maybe it's just me then...Obviously it suffers lyrically but I think musically it's a gem of a song which is incredibly uplifting. I just think U2 are a little preoccupied with writing the ultimate pop tune and have been for the last few years; having said that I think it's a beautiful track in places

I think there are definitely some beautiful elements to Crazy, but the kicker is definitely the lyric. Boots has just as many great elements for me personally. And I have no problem at all with the lyric. I understand what Crazy is meant to be, I just can hear the band singing
You know we'll go crazy
You know we'll go crazy
You know we'll go crazy, if we don't go crazy tonight!

I respect the band's want/need to do a song like this. And don't get me wrong - I'm not one of these spoiled U2 fans complaining about it to such an extent. It's the only song on what is an otherwise great album that doesn't fit for me, is all.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2009, 10:17:25 AM »
Yes those lyrics are rather stupid when you look at them, but they kinda work. I don't like the close of the song much, and the strange noises which are thrown into the mix at the beginning

hurricane hugo

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2009, 10:49:50 AM »
if boots is on the setlist on this tour might be a good time to go get a beer.  ;D  while that song is playing

oh, yes. you're going to get to the concession stand and back in a stadium during a 3-minute song.

#@!

Offline DRay9911

• Stateless
  • el pueblo vencera
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2009, 10:55:19 AM »
like they aren't going to play a new song they have performed on pretty much every stop on their promo tour.

i don't like it all that much either, but get real

-dan

Boom Cha!

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2009, 11:28:25 AM »
Since it was the lead single, I'd say it has a 100% chance of being on the setlist....every night.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2009, 12:26:07 PM »
It surprises me that anyone would think they would not play Boots. It would shock me if they did not. Well while everyone who hates the song is going to the bathroom or getting a drink, I will be dancing in the aisle  ;D!  Can't wait.

Offline highway190

• Refugee
  • Not telling you where the J Tree is.
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2009, 12:30:12 PM »
Go get your beer, just don't get up to pee later.

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2009, 01:43:50 PM »
If you want to pay $7 for a cup of beer, it won't hurt the band's feelings.   

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2009, 02:16:36 PM »
I love Boots. Beside that, Larry needs a chance to show off his drumming. Sometimes he has to hold back a bit too much.

Offline DRay9911

• Stateless
  • el pueblo vencera
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2009, 02:52:21 PM »
i HATE...H-A-T-E...when he stands up during the 'let me in teh sound' part...

-dan

Offline SaintMike

• Refugee
  • Sponsored by Blackberry!
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2009, 03:06:25 PM »
I hate Boots.  If they have to play this I wish to God they'd skip Elevation.

Of Boots, Elevation, and Vertigo, only Vertigo does not suck.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 03:36:09 PM by Joe90usa »