Author Topic: June 18 rehearsals ??  (Read 6006 times)

Offline DulmoU2

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle
Re: June 18 rehearsals ??
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2009, 09:01:39 PM »
id love to see a Dirt Day Zoo TV style!

Offline Nagrom99

• Numb
  • I'm 25, trying to stay alive.....
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2009, 10:01:09 PM »
Not too many others are saying this but......it's a weak list, keeping in mind that some of these songs are being played to death live.  Do we really need Pride, Still Haven't? Elevation?  I'm entirely dissapointed by the list.  Boring and slow tempo = no energy in stadiums that big.

Offline highway190

• Refugee
  • Not telling you where the J Tree is.
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2009, 11:03:50 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I love this band so much, but it is a shame that they are (to this point in rehearsals) ignoring content from Zooropa and Pop.  Stay and Dirty Day would be great to hear live again.  Last Night On Earth and Please would also work well with this tour.  I Still Haven't is old for me.  I'd much prefer Exit and One Tree Hill if they feel they need other JT songs.  What about Electrical Storm?  Window In They Skies?  It'd be unfortunate if they ignored those tracks, they'd be great to hear live!  Oh, and what about Rattle and Hum?  Wouldn't God Part II rock live?  It certainly did during Lovetown.  Hawkmoon 269?  Plugged in Desire?  

I hope these songs see the light of day this tour.  Presently, that setlist as rehearsed from today is rather mellow and predictable.  From Still Haven't Found to Unknown Caller it's pretty slow tempo (Breathe may save that section, however, as it is more upbeat) but I don't know, for the most part, I'm unexcited by the setlist with exception of Drowning Man and UF.  I just think they have much better options available to them than what they have apparently chosen.  

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.  Going to be a great tour, no doubt.  Just could be beyond great (IMO) with some better song choices.

I agree 100%. I LOVE how they seem to be forgetting Pop once again, but hey, they certainly were happy when we all showed up to fill up the stadiums when the ticket sales were poor in 1997 weren't they? If they end up playing some stuff off Pop and Zooropa I'll stand corrected. But really, drop WOWY and Still Haven't Found already. You know there are 9 other songs on the JT, and WOW! It has a thing called "side 2!"  Elevation? It was a pisser last tour, same for One and COBL. They're playing Streets, no need to play the crappy attempted Streets rip-off.
Drowning Man ;D
Ultraviolet ;D
UFF ;D
No NYD/SBS/BTBS?  ;D
Walk On ;D
Seven new songs?! ;D (make it the whole album please)(plus the song PLEASE as well)

And yeah, if they're going to relive anything from the pathetic Vertigo tour bring back Miss Sarajevo, the First Time and Zoo Station.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 11:44:13 PM by Joe90usa »

Offline RobBankRobber

• Refugee
  • I kissed your lips and broke your heart.
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2009, 12:13:45 AM »
It seems like this will be the running order judging by Pride followed by MLK into Streets and the encore being recognized. That being said, Beautiful Day opening the show? Seems odd. I know, things can change.. but that's kind of a weird opener for a tour backing NLOTH.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 10:15:07 AM by RobBankrobber »

Offline DulmoU2

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2009, 12:19:33 AM »
dont think they will open with beautiful day, i mean they really shouldn't but remember its just the set list for the 2nd day rehearsal so dnt be too scared yet...ill say they'll throw in some more songs into the rehearsals before opening night and then make a serious order out of them cause this one i dnt think i works well...so lets just give them a bit more time and sure, songs will be changed through out the tour.

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2009, 12:28:17 AM »
Just as I predicted and just how it was in virtually the entire Vertigo Tour, U2 are gifting their fans with a POP-free setlist.

Brilliant move by them.

Cheers,

J

That doesn't mean anything.  They added Discotheque early in the third leg, even though it was only for a few dates it was still played. 

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2009, 01:13:27 AM »
Unknown Caller
The Unforgettable Fire
City Of Blinding Lights
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
MLK
Where The Streets Have No Name
Ultra Violet (Light My Way)
With Or Without You
Walk On

This portion of the concert will be frickin EPIC!  Im loving the flow and feel of the entire setlist so far.  But this whole section is full of anthems with stadium size sound scope and reach.  I never saw COBL a Streets ripoff, because its mood feel and theme are not anywhere near Streets, nor is its sound.  COBL is a nostaligic look back and has the mood and atmosphere of this... it is far more relfective in its lyrics and tone and pace.  Streets is a driving plunge forward.  Stop trying to compare 2 different songs whose only real similarities are a building rhythm & pace, and a piano/organ intro.  The similarities end there.  Elsewhere they are just close to each other as any other Edge anthem (not the rockers or the ballads of course)

But back to this section... The build and pace of this set of songs is going to soar!  These all have the potential for reaching beyond the last rafters of the stadiums, big epic songs with sweeping sound!  No matter if you personally like these songs.  The build here is undeniable, as is the emotional weight of this section.  It will be cathartic.  The only thing that would make it more epic is BAD... and probably start with UF and move Unknown Caller closer to Streets or near the end.  Unknown Caller right before Streets or right after would be AWESOME!

I have also grown to wish for other songs to be played live rather than Pride, BUT:
1)  This was always a lock.  With the first black American President in office while they are touring, there was no doubt. 
2)  The significance of this history could give the song new life as it holds such resonance for the band personally, and since NLOTH has such strong themes of hope amidst chaos and despair, and about belief and surrender in the midst of doubt and uncertain times.  This is everything that Pride is about.  I am going to predict Pride will be resurrected to a great live experience again... maybe not right away though.

Offline patrickg

• Babyface
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2009, 02:03:02 AM »
I think they're just fannying about right now in Spain--running through numbers and getting a feel for the stage.  I can't imagine them rehearsing the same set every day for almost two weeks.  I bet there will a lot of surprises in the coming days. 

I'm sure they're aware of the scrutiny and want to keep people guessing.

Offline dangerous and honest

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Outside its a car park! Outside its a car park!
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2009, 02:47:34 AM »

I think the encore is looking great.

I agree with an earlier comment though - keep Streets, drop City.

My personal wish-list for:

Acrobat
So Cruel
Hawkmoon 269
Heartland
When I Look At The World

remains unfulfilled but I've not given up hope. Just 1 of them will do!

Unknown Caller
The Unforgettable Fire
City Of Blinding Lights
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
MLK
Where The Streets Have No Name
Ultra Violet (Light My Way)
With Or Without You
Walk On

This portion of the concert will be frickin EPIC! 

Yep, very epic indeed! Take out COBL and insert Acrobat and you have a maximum score on the epic-ometer.

Offline jralex12

• Refugee
  • just because i rock doesnt mean im made of stone
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2009, 02:49:39 AM »
this is just practice people....ignore the order...they are just testing out to see what older songs segue into the newer songs and vice versa...they will open with magnificent i'd put $ on it

so quit the hysterics and remember that this is all practice for another 11 days

Offline Stateless_Passenger

• Stateless
  • "Don't want to change the frame..."
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2009, 03:22:07 AM »
They're not seriously going to open with Beautiful Day & Vertigo are they? That's gotta be just the way they rehearsed them on that day right?

That would be stupid.

Apart from that it seems pretty good. Still, as others have said; where's the Pop & Zooropa stuff? I hate the way they just ignore those records these days. Which is a shame as it's thier most creative work. However, I am so happy about the Unforgettable Fire & Ultravoilet being added. They always were on my 'dream set-list'.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2009, 03:58:36 AM »
I think the encore is crap

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2009, 05:52:36 AM »
I think the encore is crap
geezy creezy i don't think this is the encore !!! i would say the list of songs thats been listed has no real structure and this is a list of songs that they have just been rehearsing.from previous experience they tend not to decide the encores and proper order til the day of the shows !

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2009, 06:39:39 AM »
Fair enough but it is crap!

Offline Mark0930

• Wanderer
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2009, 07:18:52 AM »
Imagine the energy of "Bad" in a stadium.....

They have to work this into the set list!