Author Topic: June 18 rehearsals ??  (Read 6008 times)

Offline lemon95

• Babyface
Re: June 18 rehearsals ??
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2009, 07:44:57 AM »
If we are to go by these rehearsal lists of songs, it is pretty obvious that the set is being geared to a 'stadium' audience.  There are going to be a lot of so-called casual fans in attendance and this limits the type of songs they can play in such a setting.  They do seem to be throwing a few bones to the hardcores, like DM, UF and UV (awesome!!!)....but at the end of the day, I wish they had stuck to arenas.

Seeing this claw stuff and the stage itself...am I the only one not that excited?  I liked stadium shows 15 years ago, but now you can have them.  Those screens above the stage don't even look that big.

Oh well, I'll reserve judgment until I see some footage from opening night.  Otherwise, on the set list, I give it a 'C.'
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 07:46:53 AM by lemon95 »

Offline Mark0930

• Wanderer
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2009, 07:53:55 AM »
dont get me wrong. I am psyched about the stadium shows!  Cant wait to see them in Gillette!  The energy at a U2 show in a stadium is unbelievable!

The stage looks amazing and cant wait to see ti live in person.

I just want Bad added to the set list LOL

countrygirl

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2009, 08:00:45 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think they're just fannying about right now in Spain--running through numbers and getting a feel for the stage.  I can't imagine them rehearsing the same set every day for almost two weeks.  I bet there will a lot of surprises in the coming days. 

I'm sure they're aware of the scrutiny and want to keep people guessing.

I was thinking the same thing!!!  Keep the people guessing! :)

Offline monte

• Babyface
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2009, 08:12:22 AM »
I agree with you Mark0930

Bad must be add to the setlist!!!

I really like to hear it at Soldier Field

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2009, 08:58:34 AM »
Definitely need to hear Bad at one of my shows, made sure I got tix to Dublin 3 as it was the only show in Europe that got Bad last time, so here's hoping.

There are some bizarre posts on other threads criticising this embryonic list of songs, so far so good, the mix for old timers and newbies is about right. Maybe one more insertion of a rarity and the balance would be spot on. Maybe One Tree Hill or Gloria or Kite etc , all songs they played at some point last tour, so you never jnow.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 09:00:10 AM by u2asortofhomecoming »

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2009, 10:03:51 AM »
Bad definitely needs to go in there. I'd also add in Even better than the real thing or discotheque, let's drop the fly though. Dig out a classic like Zooropa or Lemon, a real shocker of a song like that would be amazing

Offline The Wanderer

• Party Girl/Boy
  • U2360 Stage for Babies
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2009, 10:29:41 AM »
Albums in the set list:
War - 1
UF - 3
Tree - 3
R&H - 1
AB - 2
All - 4
How - 2
No - 6

Offline RobBankRobber

• Refugee
  • I kissed your lips and broke your heart.
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2009, 10:45:38 AM »
Albums in the set list:
War - 1
UF - 3
Tree - 3
R&H - 1
AB - 2
All - 4
How - 2
No - 6

No Line, Magnificent, Moment of Surrender, Unknown Caller, Crazy, Boots, Breathe = 7

Vonobox

« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2009, 12:47:08 PM »
I am so psyched that they're rehearsing 7 songs from No Line!

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2009, 01:41:50 PM »
Albums in the set list:
War - 1
UF - 3
Tree - 3
R&H - 1
AB - 2
All - 4
How - 2
No - 6

No Line, Magnificent, Moment of Surrender, Unknown Caller, Crazy, Boots, Breathe = 7

POP = ZERO!

Woohoo!

It's always great to know U2 are still in their senses, and they don't want to waste the time of their audience by making them listen to unfinished and substandard work.

The tour looks to be exciting.  Its also a great thing that they brought along the best of their classics - no U2 concert is complete without Pride, One, Beautiful Day, or the Joshua Tree holy trinity.

The high number of ATYCLB songs show how that album has stood the test of time for U2 and for many.

Cheers,

J

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2009, 02:10:12 PM »
Albums in the set list:
War - 1
UF - 3
Tree - 3
R&H - 1
AB - 2
All - 4
How - 2
No - 6

POP = ZERO!

Woohoo!

It's always great to know U2 are still in their senses, and they don't want to waste the time of their audience by making them listen to unfinished and substandard work.

The tour looks to be exciting.  Its also a great thing that they brought along the best of their classics - no U2 concert is complete without Pride, One, Beautiful Day, or the Joshua Tree holy trinity.

The high number of ATYCLB songs show how that album has stood the test of time for U2 and for many.

Cheers,

J

This coming from a guy that hailed Pop as the greatest of all time and said the band should've promoted NLOTh on Disney and Teen Nick?

Offline evilways811

• Stateless
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2009, 04:14:56 PM »

Cheers,

J

More like shows that U2 are still trying to lure in the syrupy, teeny bopper generation, like they've been doing since 2000. Can't blame them though, that's were the money is right now. Too bad most of those are disposeable fans with a short attention span for music and will shuffle their iPod to another artist just as quickly as they got intrested in the first place.

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2009, 06:40:23 PM »

Cheers,

J

More like shows that U2 are still trying to lure in the syrupy, teeny bopper generation, like they've been doing since 2000. Can't blame them though, that's were the money is right now. Too bad most of those are disposeable fans with a short attention span for music and will shuffle their iPod to another artist just as quickly as they got intrested in the first place.

"2" is a "high number" ????

Oh well, at least he'll be happy there will be 7 songs from a pointless, filler-filled, unlistenable low-selling (altho it's sold more than anything else in 2009) album which supposedly is missing sincerity, soul, conviction, melodies, hooks and good lyrics.

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2009, 06:43:31 PM »
If we are to go by these rehearsal lists of songs, it is pretty obvious that the set is being geared to a 'stadium' audience.  There are going to be a lot of so-called casual fans in attendance and this limits the type of songs they can play in such a setting.  They do seem to be throwing a few bones to the hardcores, like DM, UF and UV (awesome!!!)....but at the end of the day, I wish they had stuck to arenas.

Seeing this claw stuff and the stage itself...am I the only one not that excited?  I liked stadium shows 15 years ago, but now you can have them.  Those screens above the stage don't even look that big.

Oh well, I'll reserve judgment until I see some footage from opening night.  Otherwise, on the set list, I give it a 'C.'

I agree, it looks like a spinal-tap set stage and a cater-to-thec-asual-fan setlist.

Betcha Drowning Man will be dropped early like An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart was when a collective "WTF is THAT" comes over the stadium when they play it.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2009, 01:39:26 AM »
This is such a wonderful setlist except for Drowning Man, I hope they will make this like their previous stadium-only tours - with a basic setlist that won't vary much.  The fans deserve this setlist!

Cheers,

J