Author Topic: June 18 rehearsals ??  (Read 6005 times)

Offline analogk

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • My picture of Edge in 2005.
Re: June 18 rehearsals ??
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2009, 08:23:30 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If we are to go by these rehearsal lists of songs, it is pretty obvious that the set is being geared to a 'stadium' audience.  There are going to be a lot of so-called casual fans in attendance and this limits the type of songs they can play in such a setting.  They do seem to be throwing a few bones to the hardcores, like DM, UF and UV (awesome!!!)....but at the end of the day, I wish they had stuck to arenas.

Seeing this claw stuff and the stage itself...am I the only one not that excited?  I liked stadium shows 15 years ago, but now you can have them.  Those screens above the stage don't even look that big.

Oh well, I'll reserve judgment until I see some footage from opening night.  Otherwise, on the set list, I give it a 'C.'

I agree, it looks like a spinal-tap set stage and a cater-to-thec-asual-fan setlist.

Betcha Drowning Man will be dropped early like An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart was when a collective "WTF is THAT" comes over the stadium when they play it.

Those "WTF is THAT" fans can hit the bathrooms at that point.  I don't care about the casual fans. 

Offline highway190

• Refugee
  • Not telling you where the J Tree is.
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2009, 08:33:44 AM »
The casual fans are whom they seemed to cater to last time. "Better drop An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart! No one gets it! We can play the Ocean, its short!"

Offline analogk

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2009, 08:41:39 AM »
The casual fans are whom they seemed to cater to last time. "Better drop An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart! No one gets it! We can play the Ocean, its short!"

The whole idea of a band touring is to promote their new album.  Plus playing older songs promoting the previous albums.  Getting people to buy the older albums probably will not work all of the time.  However, there may be a few people who end up buying "Boy" or "October for example to hear that specific song ("The Ocean", Gloria, etc.) they heard in concert.  U2 are popular enough and have a lot of good material that they can take risks with their setlists.

Offline highway190

• Refugee
  • Not telling you where the J Tree is.
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2009, 08:54:08 AM »
The high number of ATYCLB songs show how that album has stood the test of time for U2 and for many.

Cheers,

J

More like shows that U2 are still trying to lure in the syrupy, teeny bopper generation, like they've been doing since 2000. Can't blame them though, that's were the money is right now. Too bad most of those are disposeable fans with a short attention span for music and will shuffle their iPod to another artist just as quickly as they got intrested in the first place.

Hahaha! You're right man. They've already left though! If NLOTH had been a syrupy piece of formulaic crap like HTDAAB it would have gone 3x platinum by now. Instead, they did something they wanted to do. I really hope they realize that trying to gain the kids (when I say kids I mean the top 40 kids) really set them back.

hurricane hugo

« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2009, 12:04:56 PM »
Betcha Drowning Man will be dropped early like An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart was when a collective "WTF is THAT" comes over the stadium when they play it.

they were still doing ACD/ITH at the 1st Detroit show (10/24/05). Seeing as the tour started 5 months earlier, I'd like to know what your definition of "early" is.

#@!

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2009, 02:45:02 PM »
If we are to go by these rehearsal lists of songs, it is pretty obvious that the set is being geared to a 'stadium' audience.  There are going to be a lot of so-called casual fans in attendance and this limits the type of songs they can play in such a setting.  They do seem to be throwing a few bones to the hardcores, like DM, UF and UV (awesome!!!)....but at the end of the day, I wish they had stuck to arenas.

Seeing this claw stuff and the stage itself...am I the only one not that excited?  I liked stadium shows 15 years ago, but now you can have them.  Those screens above the stage don't even look that big.

Oh well, I'll reserve judgment until I see some footage from opening night.  Otherwise, on the set list, I give it a 'C.'

I hear ya.  I've seen them 18 times and i'm not excited at all about this tour.  I get the feeling U2 did stadiums so they can tour for a shorter period of time and play less shows.  which is ok and I respect that cause they have families and being on the road can be tough.  but my issue has and always will be the fact that U2 can't even take more than 35-40 songs on the road at a time.  it would be nice for U2 to get away from creating a broadway show (cause those atleast change actors from time to time and the performances don't feel as tired) and get back to just playing music.  anyone remember how brilliant the irving plaza show was on the ATYCLB promo tour.  no one had any idea of the setlist and it was broadcasted online.  i remember sitting there listening and being blown away by not knowing what would come next.  its a new day and age and many bands (springsteen, dave matthews, radiohead, etc) keep the audience on their toes and keeps their fan bases even more excited online.  for a band so technology savy after the zoo tv tour, they have overlooked one aspect of technology - the nightly setlist that everyone sees, the downloadable shows the next day.  If U2 stayed one step above that curve you might not hear a complaint ever on this forum. 

i have 73 songs myself and when i get the urge to play something that i haven't played in a while i play it.  it is humanly impossible for U2 not to have the urge to play some of their past songs.  but i feel U2 over analyzes it and decides nah that wouldn't work live let's just do pride again.  thats easy and we don't have to practice that other song and then have the lyrics for bono on the screen in front of him.  so again we get 7 new songs, pretty much the same old classics and 3 songs thrown out to the long time diehards plus walk on and in a little while.  so pretty much 4 years between tours and a new album and they show up to rehearsals with around 30 songs.  they are taking the easy way out.   

Offline analogk

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2009, 06:11:09 PM »
U2 should just play a 3 hour tour like Rush does.  No opening act.

Vonobox

« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2009, 12:13:44 PM »

The weather started getting rough, the tiny ship was tossed

(sorry for lame Gilligan's Island reference)

That's a good idea.  U2 did a couple shows on the Joshua Tree tour where they opened up for themselves wearing ZZ Top beards or some other silly disguise!

Offline analogk

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2009, 01:04:21 PM »

The weather started getting rough, the tiny ship was tossed

(sorry for lame Gilligan's Island reference)

That's a good idea.  U2 did a couple shows on the Joshua Tree tour where they opened up for themselves wearing ZZ Top beards or some other silly disguise!

I guess it would have helped if I had proof read my response.  :D  But you got the point.  They were The Daltons!

Vonobox

« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2009, 01:08:52 PM »
The Daltons!  I couldn't remember the name.   ;D

Offline The Stingray Guitar

• Refugee
  • You're in my mind all of the time,
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2009, 11:28:31 AM »
Is it just me or does no one even care about stand up comedy.
Or did U2 just simply forgot it existed cos I did until I heard it on the radio today

Offline globaljosh

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2009, 11:53:11 AM »
Or did U2 just simply forgot it existed cos I did until I heard it on the radio today

Nah, not all of us. When I listen to NLOTH, Stand Up Comedy (to me) is the one song really begging for a live performance. I know many don't like it, but I think it's got great swagger to it and sure hope they add it to the setlist at some point.

Vonobox

« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2009, 12:00:03 PM »

I love it!  Stand Up and Breathe are the two best rockers on the record.