Author Topic: NO LINE ON THE HORIZON BEST SELLING ALBUM WORLDWIDE OF 2009  (Read 23207 times)

uridahsee

Re: NO LINE ON THE HORIZON BEST SELLING ALBUM WORLDWIDE OF 2009
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2009, 10:12:50 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The two of you may talk about being objective, but you're not more objective than any fans who like the new album. You just happen not to like it in the same way that other do. I think we all need to accept that peoples' opinions will differ and not hold our own thoughts as gospel. I'm aware that this is true for both sides of the argument but I object to being looked down on for thinking NLOTH is a great album.

Ugh, the Simple Minds album they're drooling over is horrid.
It's damn fine album Their best in 20 years.

Here's a snapshot review of Graffiti Soul, which I had heard twice completely.

Simple Minds has obviously gone the Coldplay quick fix route: simple melodies hooks and lyrics abound. There is nothing wrong with that but boy, have they come up with tons better material over their career. Huge SM fans will love it, but it breaks no new ground and sticks to a traditional formula. Jim Kerr's voice is completely shot, too.

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2009, 10:54:59 AM »
Lady gaga is selling much better at this moment which is really sad.

I agree. For Lady Gaga to sell more than any artist is very sad.  I had such high hopes for Depeche Mode's album too. What happened?
This Depeche Mode pathology some members have is getting pathetic. it sold good and was a far better record than No Line. At least it had balls.

uridahsee

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2009, 11:00:26 AM »

I agree. For Lady Gaga to sell more than any artist is very sad.  I had such high hopes for Depeche Mode's album too. What happened?
This Depeche Mode pathology some members have is getting pathetic. it sold good and was a far better record than No Line. At least it had balls.

Oh, don't get me wrong. DM's record is GREAT. I'm just wondering why its out of the U.S. top 100 after 6 weeks.

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2009, 11:11:06 AM »

Oh, don't get me wrong. DM's record is GREAT. I'm just wondering why its out of the U.S. top 100 after 6 weeks.
Oops sorry there.
I have no idea. Maybe because people think that Lady gaga makes great music.

uridahsee

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2009, 11:13:33 AM »

Oops sorry there.

I think as far as 12th studio albums go, it goes in this order.

1)U2
2)DM
3)REM

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2009, 11:55:40 AM »

Oops sorry there.

Sadly that's what the genera public thinks, a shame if you ask me. Most of her music is just nonsense lyrics and electronic noise.

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2009, 11:26:11 PM »
The two of you may talk about being objective, but you're not more objective than any fans who like the new album. You just happen not to like it in the same way that other do. I think we all need to accept that peoples' opinions will differ and not hold our own thoughts as gospel. I'm aware that this is true for both sides of the argument but I object to being looked down on for thinking NLOTH is a great album.

:D :D :D,You must be Having a Laugh.

it's a great album, better than NLOTH, and I like NLOTH

Offline tacoisahotburito

• Stateless
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2009, 05:41:25 AM »
I've been told that there are now 5 million + albums sold so far.
That's not bad.
It's less than the rest, but not bad.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2009, 01:31:23 PM »
I've been told that there are now 5 million + albums sold so far.
That's not bad.
It's less than the rest, but not bad.

!!!  :o Where did you get this?

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2009, 06:37:29 PM »

:D :D :D,You must be Having a Laugh.

it's a great album, better than NLOTH, and I like NLOTH

I like both...but NLOTH is far superior in almost every way. It just has a depth that few albums reach. All the songs on NLOTH are well written, and well developed with great use of instrumentation, lots of layers and fine details, and a good variance of tempo, and mix of genres. It's very, very deep. MOS is outstanding...it's getting close to 'One' for me as is 'Unknown Caller'.

And I'm glad to hear it's selling well. Not that it matters so much, but it's great to see music that is 'good' for once, rise to the top. I'm tired of Lady NA-DA and all these other jokers out there. Lady Nada wore a zipper on her eye at the Grammys i think. She should do us a favor and zipper her entire head closed. I think NLOTH is going to sell a lot more when this tour starts rolling, as long as it starts well and is everything they are trying to accomplish. I sure know a lot of people traveling to Barcelona to see it! Lucky bums.  :-[

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2009, 08:59:28 PM »
Wow I can't believe how many Nickleback fans are out there....they are utterly embarrasing.

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2009, 01:34:54 AM »
Wow I can't believe how many Nickleback fans are out there....they are utterly embarrasing.
Jesus Christ Nickleback. They're even worse than Live.

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2009, 01:41:24 AM »
been listening to the New Simple Minds every day now. I really love this album. it's the first one since Sparkle in the rain That really matters. Great job guys Keep it up. yeah It's a better album than No line. They're are far better and much more fun song and melodies on their album. The have great hooks atmosphere and the album doesn't go boring after  songs like No line does. You can't stop getting the songs out of your head. No line doesn't have a song that really sticks in your head. Graffiti soul has that in abundance gerat Job guys Great job. Keep it up. And yes to the No lin fans it won't sell as much as the U2 album but it's far better. it's about quality not quantity and No line is lacking quality.

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2009, 12:50:02 PM »
been listening to the New Simple Minds every day now. I really love this album. it's the first one since Sparkle in the rain That really matters. Great job guys Keep it up. yeah It's a better album than No line. They're are far better and much more fun song and melodies on their album. The have great hooks atmosphere and the album doesn't go boring after  songs like No line does. You can't stop getting the songs out of your head. No line doesn't have a song that really sticks in your head. Graffiti soul has that in abundance gerat Job guys Great job. Keep it up. And yes to the No lin fans it won't sell as much as the U2 album but it's far better. it's about quality not quantity and No line is lacking quality.

No line has plenty of quality, just not not enough consistency.

What  I like about Graffiti Soul is that they kept it short, put the best songs on there and made it more like an old school vinyl album running at about 40 minutes.

Imagine NLOTH without Boots. Crazy and Comedy, re-arrange the running order a bit and put in Winter, more consistent, a better album.

Why do so many bands feel the need to make album 60+ minutes without having 60+ minutes of high quality material ? If you've got a lot of quality material save some for later with single releases, or even save some for future albums. Led Zeppelin were always doing that. Then when they didn't do that they got a bit inconsistent with Physical Graffiti.

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2009, 03:07:15 AM »

No line has plenty of quality, just not not enough consistency.

What  I like about Graffiti Soul is that they kept it short, put the best songs on there and made it more like an old school vinyl album running at about 40 minutes.

Imagine NLOTH without Boots. Crazy and Comedy, re-arrange the running order a bit and put in Winter, more consistent, a better album.

Why do so many bands feel the need to make album 60+ minutes without having 60+ minutes of high quality material ? If you've got a lot of quality material save some for later with single releases, or even save some for future albums. Led Zeppelin were always doing that. Then when they didn't do that they got a bit inconsistent with Physical Graffiti.

When I first played No line it where the first 2 songs which I really liked. The rest I couldn't get into. I liked some elements of Fez but as a whole it doesn't compare to let's say In your Blue room (brilliant and extremely beautiful)
Unknown caller is not a good song but liked the stretched out end of it.  But at the end the songs didn't grab me by the throat like the time when I listened to the Joshua tree Unforgeable fore achtung baby or zooropa. They just didn't stick. It's simply not up there.

Songs like Breathe, Get on your boots (absolutely horrendous and embarrassing to say the least)  stand up comedy, and I'll go crazy just screw up the whole record. if they left those songs of it would have been a better album. These days you have artist who put as much of 16 very bad songs on they're albums. after song 2 you're already bored with the nothing they have to say.

You're absolute right when you say the it's better to have 8 great songs and keep it short (R.E.M Accelerate runs less than 30 minutes which takes balls these days and is one of their better albums in years)

What I like about about graffiti soul is that it's short and very consistent. I listened to rocket first on youtube and thought that it wasn't a very good song but if you listen to it on the album it's quite fun
 It works. next you album don't add fillers. Keep it short and tight as possible and kick some ass.