Author Topic: NO LINE ON THE HORIZON BEST SELLING ALBUM WORLDWIDE OF 2009  (Read 23175 times)

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
Re: NO LINE ON THE HORIZON BEST SELLING ALBUM WORLDWIDE OF 2009
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2009, 10:13:55 AM »
Couldn't disagree more. This album has more variance of song styles/genres than many, and yet they tie in together brilliantly. Look, I like the Minds but while they present songs that are ballsy and fun, U2 are much more deep. NLOTH is even recorded with so many more layers and there is more a sense of space in the sound. The Minds production is also good but very different - it's clear Pop-Rock production. Very 'in your face'. They both have their brilliant moments so I wouldn't trash either. I've got both on rotation quite often!

There is no filler at all on NLOTH. But if you want only 1 emotion-color-genre-sound than NLOTH is not your album.

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2009, 01:43:59 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Couldn't disagree more. This album has more variance of song styles/genres than many, and yet they tie in together brilliantly. Look, I like the Minds but while they present songs that are ballsy and fun, U2 are much more deep. NLOTH is even recorded with so many more layers and there is more a sense of space in the sound. The Minds production is also good but very different - it's clear Pop-Rock production. Very 'in your face'. They both have their brilliant moments so I wouldn't trash either. I've got both on rotation quite often!

There is no filler at all on NLOTH. But if you want only 1 emotion-color-genre-sound than NLOTH is not your album.
Compared to the really good U2 stuff No line sounds like band strugling for ideas and ending up no where in particulair. if I want to hear Bono going deep I'll pput on war UF JT AB ZO or even some songs on POp and Passengers. But No line simply sounds very sad and not in good way.

Simple minds did a far better job this time with their straight in your face apraoch and it worked.

If i want emetion driven music these days I'll play Nick Drake or even the Fleet foxes did a far more better job than U2 with their very emotional driven album. That's also one of the best albums this year. better than the u2 one. even bono loves that album

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2009, 01:51:21 PM »

Compared to the really good U2 stuff No line sounds like band strugling for ideas and ending up no where in particulair. if I want to hear Bono going deep I'll pput on war UF JT AB ZO or even some songs on POp and Passengers. But No line simply sounds very sad and not in good way.

Simple minds did a far better job this time with their straight in your face apraoch and it worked.

If i want emetion driven music these days I'll play Nick Drake or even the Fleet foxes did a far more better job than U2 with their very emotional driven album. That's also one of the best albums this year. better than the u2 one. even bono loves that album

yeah, I guess we will agree to disagree. Nick Drake is good. Fleet Foxes, well so far I think they are an overrated snooze. I bought the album but eh? I don't get the fuss. I had seen them Live on TV and they sucked rotten eggs. NLOTH is deep in a much different way than these other two artists. Honestly, NLOTH if I have to fight these albums like 2 pitbulls (I hate doing this), but NLOTH just kills the new Simple Minds. It rips it apart...the flesh of graffiti soul is utterly mauled off it's skeleton. I still like the album a lot however.

Not sure I could or would want to be more graphic about how i feel.

Offline donvalley360

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2009, 02:38:28 AM »

yeah, I guess we will agree to disagree. Nick Drake is good. Fleet Foxes, well so far I think they are an overrated snooze. I bought the album but eh? I don't get the fuss. I had seen them Live on TV and they sucked rotten eggs. NLOTH is deep in a much different way than these other two artists. Honestly, NLOTH if I have to fight these albums like 2 pitbulls (I hate doing this), but NLOTH just kills the new Simple Minds. It rips it apart...the flesh of graffiti soul is utterly mauled off it's skeleton. I still like the album a lot however.

I agree,some people on here have way overblown how good the Simple Minds is,dont get me wrong,i've been a minds fan for years,but better than No Line,no way.

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2009, 02:58:41 AM »

Nick drake's records will be remember longer than No line which seems to be forgotten by the masses already except U2's hardcore fans. For me it's borefest compared to u2 best stuff. Totally not intereresting at all.
 People will come to their shows but because it's u2. Remember the stones tours most of the times exceed U2 in numbers of people atteneding but their record saels are really sad.

This is bound to happen with a band like u2 too. People move on and that's life.

Kinda funny that I haven't played a Simple Minds record on heavy rotation in years. This one I keep playing over and over again. U2 owned the second part of the 80's and the first half of the 90's but for me tthose glory days are gone.

They will be keeping putting out records and touring fans will buy their stuff because U2 made e big mark in music industry but it doesn't mean their music  will remain equally great as in the past. Maybe in a couple of years they'll suddenly wake up and smell the coffee and make a brilliant record but for it's just bland after bland.

And Nick Drake is GOD. Damn his music really hits me on an emotioanl level. Pink Moon is one of the most beautiful records ever recorded. on and emotional level No line sound very pethatic and lam compared to what Drake pured out of his soul. Try  the song: A place to be. that soo heart breakingly beautiful

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2009, 07:10:43 AM »
you see things from a much different angle. No Line is catching speed my friend. I've heard a lot of people talking about it lately and checking out the tour. I've seen 'indie' teen types wearing War t-shirts lately. The album is awesome. I don't know why you insist on comparing a band to a solo artist like 'Nick Drake', but I'd recommend that you stop listening to No Line. You don't like it so why bother. It has become so boring to hear the same old people ranting that they don't like the album. It's like there are a couple of wind up dolls that suddenly learned to use a computer on this forum.

Again...if you don't like it - don't listen to it. It's that simple. TRUST me...we all know your opinion already on this. We know how much you prefer Nick Drake and Simple Minds. We've heard you diss NLOTH more than we've heard Magnificent on the radio, sadly. All of us have heard you over and over and over and over and over again and again and again. OKAY? Isn't there a NLOTH HATERS Thread that you can go autopilot on and say the same stuff? Enough already, please.

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2009, 07:25:32 AM »
you see things from a much different angle. No Line is catching speed my friend. I've heard a lot of people talking about it lately and checking out the tour. I've seen 'indie' teen types wearing War t-shirts lately. The album is awesome. I don't know why you insist on comparing a band to a solo artist like 'Nick Drake', but I'd recommend that you stop listening to No Line. You don't like it so why bother. It has become so boring to hear the same old people ranting that they don't like the album. It's like there are a couple of wind up dolls that suddenly learned to use a computer on this forum.

Again...if you don't like it - don't listen to it. It's that simple. TRUST me...we all know your opinion already on this. We know how much you prefer Nick Drake and Simple Minds. We've heard you diss NLOTH more than we've heard Magnificent on the radio, sadly. All of us have heard you over and over and over and over and over again and again and again. OKAY? Isn't there a NLOTH HATERS Thread that you can go autopilot on and say the same stuff? Enough already, please.
why should I? it's a forum and I'm just giving my opinion over and over and over again.

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2009, 07:53:32 AM »
whatever. it's more like a commercial actually. it was an opinion originally, the first 20 x's. not so much now.

And, are you on topic here? This is about U2 having the best selling album. Dragging Nick Drake into this seems way off. Simple Minds...ehh..okay you could at least argue why they don't have the top selling album as compared to why U2 does. But I haven't heard anyone mention that specifically. Everyone pretty much knows why anyway without even saying it.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 08:08:56 AM by Mr. BonorFLYd »

Offline donvalley360

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2009, 09:00:01 AM »

Great reply,and i second everything you said,its getting old and boring now,this is a great time to be a u2 fan with the tour just starting,we should be celebrating it,not pouring negativity over everything,whether its the set lists or the album or whatever.

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2009, 09:00:52 AM »
whatever. it's more like a commercial actually. it was an opinion originally, the first 20 x's. not so much now.

And, are you on topic here? This is about U2 having the best selling album. Dragging Nick Drake into this seems way off. Simple Minds...ehh..okay you could at least argue why they don't have the top selling album as compared to why U2 does. But I haven't heard anyone mention that specifically. Everyone pretty much knows why anyway without even saying it.
So it's prohibited to make and measure Nick drakes high quality to the low quality output of U2's album? Why? It happens to be that I till last year never heard of drake and discovered it and was pleasantly surprised. The quality of his music actually transcends that of u2.

With Simple Mind I had absolutely no expectations. And it kicks but. With U2 I always have very high expectation and they just don't seem to be able to deliver anymore. you can say a lot about their last record but a joshua tree (in quality) it simply ain't. It doesn't have to be but don't scream of your lungs that it is. (i'm not talking about you I'm talking about Bono screaming that it's such a great record etc and it turns out it just ain't

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2009, 11:27:56 AM »
of course not. but it's apples and oranges my friend. they are both tasty. you like oranges more. that is fine. my point is just that wouldn't there be a thread that is more suited to this argument? surely, not every thread is appropriate or even most conducive to making your case that Nick Drake is better than U2. It seems that in order to compare them on this specific thread, you would have to at least bring Nick Drake back from the dead so that he could've released a brand new studio album in 2009. And then, argue why that album should or shouldn't be the best selling album over U2 in 2009. But, unless you've got an incredible connection with a much higher power - I don't think that's going to happen.

I am glad however that you've discovered Nick Drake and Simple Minds. I respect them both as artists and value their music. I am also thrilled that U2 are still making high quality music that is beyond categorization. And, I am very happy for them that their accomplishments are being recognized, partly by the sales of the new album and its momentum. The tour could make the album's recognition even bigger! But regardless, it's about the music, and so it will be great to witness these songs come alive.

shockdocta22

« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2009, 05:21:44 PM »
NLOTH IS SO FAR THE BEST SELLING CD OF 2009 WORLD WIDE, OVER 3 MILLION COPIES SO FAR,  PLUS U2 HAD THE BEST OPENING WEEK OF 2009 WORLD WIDE BEATING EVEN EMINEM.PLUS ANOTHER THING WHY IS EVERYONE PICKING ON U2,S SALES LOOK AT GREEN DAY ONLY 450,000 WORLD WIDE FIRST WEEK PLUS LAST WEEK ONLY 40,000 IN THE US THE CD IS NOT EVEN AT 600,000 IN THE US,BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN NOT EVEN 600,000,BON JOVI ,MADONNA HAD CD,S OUT IN THE LAST FEW YEARS THAT DIDN,T EVEN GO PLATINUM PRINCE,S NEW CD IS NO WHERE TO BE FOUND BUT NOONE HEARS ABOUT THAT.PLUS U2,S CD IS APPROACHING PLATINUM AND NOONE TALKS ABOUT HOW U2,S CD WAS ILLEGALLY DOWNLOADED  450,000 TIMES IN THE USA A WEEK BEFORE THE CD EVEN CAME OUT ,AND IT,S  BEEN REPORTED THE CD WAS ILLEGALLY DOWNLOADED OVER 800,000 TIMES TO DATE IN THE US ALONE ADD THAT TO WHAT THE CD SOLD LEGALLY, AND U2 IS DOING JUST FINE , PLUS THEY SOLD OVER 2.8 MILLION TICKETS FOR THE 360 TOUR ALREADY ADD THAT UP TO THERE AVERAGE TICKET PRICE AT ABOUT 125.00 THIS TOUR WHEN SAID AND DONE IS EASILY GONNA BE THE HIGHEST GROSSING TOUR OF ALL TIME WAY TO GO U2 THANK YOU.
sorry miss Susan Boyle has sold 4million so far she is has the biggest selling album so far  ;D

seriously :o

shockdocta22

« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2009, 05:27:32 PM »
suposebly shes sold over 5 million ???

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2009, 05:44:19 PM »
nothing against Susan Boyle...she has a pretty voice. But, we all know it's because of a novelty that she's selling so many albums. There are many people with better voices who can't sell their CD's.

But there again, if U2 has to come in 2nd LOL I'd rather it be to her than Fall Out Boy or some other lame group.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 05:47:48 PM by Mr. BonorFLYd »

shockdocta22

« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2009, 07:43:36 PM »
Actually 3rd now..