Author Topic: Why are U2 Starting their Set with Beautiful Day?  (Read 2277 times)

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
Why are U2 Starting their Set with Beautiful Day?
« on: June 19, 2009, 10:35:05 AM »
Seems anti-climatic to me. They usually start with a track off the new album...NO LINE would be the logical opener. I know they like to defy expectations but surely this is not the best example of defiance.  ???

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
Re: Why are U2 Starting their Set with Beautiful Day?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 10:43:53 AM »
Maybe they just felt like it, I remember when they played it off the cuff in London for the BBC gig without rehearsal. Maybe they just wanted to get warmed up. Who knows though, I'd love it if they started with streets, imagine!? That would really defy convention but I know people love it towards the end of set and that's where it belongs.

I'd start with mag or no line personally but they are U2, let them do as they please

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 10:50:10 AM »
I don't they are - what we saw was a practice setlist, not what they're going to use on tour - I mean, you think they're gonna end with Ava Maria?

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 10:54:50 AM »
Calm down dear, it's only a practise run.

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 11:20:25 AM »
Well at least Viva La Vida isn't in the program.  ;)

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 11:30:06 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I don't they are - what we saw was a practice setlist, not what they're going to use on tour - I mean, you think they're gonna end with Ava Maria?

I think hearing Bono sing that would be pretty sweet. And I'm not Catholic.

satellitedog01

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 12:14:55 PM »
He did sing Ave Maria with Pavarotti and it was the first thing to make me question his taste...

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 02:00:24 PM »
there is a Jacknife remix of Ava Maria on the UK SYCMIOYO thats pretty good :D

Offline ABloodRedSky

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • We're sorry, we're closed for lunch.
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 02:39:48 PM »
Well at least Viva La Vida isn't in the program.  ;)

:D

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 04:39:37 PM »
He did sing Ave Maria with Pavarotti and it was the first thing to make me question his taste...

hey man there's nothing wrong with classical music. And Pavarotti could sing better than almost anyone on the planet. I actually got to work with him 2x. and there was nothing like his voice live. You've got to remember -He doesn't generally use or need microphones! His voice was HUGE. 

I respect Bono more for having such wide appreciation for various genres of music.

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 04:48:37 PM »
hey man there's nothing wrong with classical music.

Classical music's fine. I think he was talkin' 'bout Catholicism...

satellitedog01

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 04:54:07 AM »
I was actually talking about Bono aimlessly crooning a song that has nothing to do with his previous work. Classical music is fine, when done by classically trained people like the great late Luciano.

I know Bono has a strong tendency towards soul music, and also that he sometimes confuses soul music with schmaltz (Can't Help Falling in Love, Dreaming With Tears in My Eyes, not that these are bad songs, they're just so sweet they're dripping with syrup), and this was the worst case of misjudgement for me in that sense.

He didn't add anything to that duet, it was not very dignified, his voice was not up to par at the performance, and you better be in good vocal form, however different your styles, if you dare stand right next to Pavarotti.

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 06:12:20 AM »
I was actually talking about Bono aimlessly crooning a song that has nothing to do with his previous work. Classical music is fine, when done by classically trained people like the great late Luciano.

I know Bono has a strong tendency towards soul music, and also that he sometimes confuses soul music with schmaltz (Can't Help Falling in Love, Dreaming With Tears in My Eyes, not that these are bad songs, they're just so sweet they're dripping with syrup), and this was the worst case of misjudgement for me in that sense.

He didn't add anything to that duet, it was not very dignified, his voice was not up to par at the performance, and you better be in good vocal form, however different your styles, if you dare stand right next to Pavarotti.

point taken. that's true! not many people can sing on par with Pavarotti...which is funny, because he did so many duets. Miss Sarajevo, not a duet, is a song however that works because it allows both singers to do what they do well.

Offline TheFly

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 06:31:15 AM »
They won't start with Beautiful Day. The set-lists we've seen so far are only rehearsals, not the proper set. I wouldn't mind betting that come opening night songs that haven't yet been rehearsed, like Bullet, will make an appearance.

Offline in_eden

• Stateless
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 10:51:23 AM »
I'm 99.99% sure that the show will open with magnificent.
The intro is perfect... the video hints at the pulling back of a shroud and an unveiling...