Author Topic: SPOILER: June 19 rehearsal  (Read 15760 times)

Boom Cha!

Re: SPOILER: June 19 rehearsal
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 05:52:19 PM »
I'll be seeing them for the first time. I sure hope they play Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 06:29:47 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Sunday Bloody Sunday will never get old for me. I just listened to it on my ipod yesterday, actually. I for one would love to hear it played this tour. What is all this sudden hate about? :(

Don't think anyone hates it, but it's been a live staple for a long, time to mix it up a bit more.

Disappointing to see One, WOWY, Pride, SBS, Elevation in the  mix.

Let's see some Zooropa, some Pop.

Frankly I'm thrilled about Drowning Man, UF and UV, but disappointed in most of the rest of the non-new-song set.

Offline dougie

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • A Bozo on the bus going nowhere!
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 07:11:03 PM »
In Dublin in 2005, the crowds response to Sunday Bloody Sunday was amazing.  I have never seen a place go more wild.  It was one of the finest musical moments in my life (and I'm old!).

Offline zakkcar

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 11:02:42 PM »
They should just play Magnificent and then end the show. Stretch it out for 110 minutes.

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 11:04:36 PM »
They should just play Magnificent and then end the show. Stretch it out for 110 minutes.

Why? They have so many other great songs that deserve to be played beside Magnificent. This would include: The rest of NLOTH...and everything else they've ever done. :)

Offline j2736 (i'm not a boy ! )

• Desert Rose
  • watch more television
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2009, 11:19:54 PM »
yehey! Sunday Bloody Sunday! wooh!!! :)

Offline u2pinstripes

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2009, 11:29:49 PM »
As for Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bono should take his own advice...

NO MORE! SING!  If this becomes a staple at every show again, Bono will be wiping my tears away.

Offline medou2

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2009, 12:30:43 AM »
I've been a huge fan of U2 since 1985!!! ANd for God's sake, when will they re-discover A SORT OF HOMECOMING. I'm very pleased they're rehearsing the Unforgettable Fire (one of THE U2 songs), but in a combination with Homecoming it would be even greather for me! My first gig on this tour will be San Siro 7.7. - can't wait.
A good surprise is as well Ultraviolet.

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2009, 12:45:28 AM »
Please....for the love of God...no drawn-out speeches and no Sunday Bloody Sunday!

I don't get this sudden moaning about Sunday Bloody Sunday I keep seeing. People keep going on about it being overplayed and not wanting to see it anymore. What's with all the hate? Of all the "oldies" it's probably the one they've played least frequently over the years. Has everyone forgotten that it was completely omitted during Lovetown, made rare and sporadic appearances on ZooTV and only showed up towards the last third of Popmart? I don't recall this kind of sentiment towards Until the End of the World before the last tour, despite it not having missed a concert since it's introduction at that point.

I think it's because some people are getting BORED with hearing it for the umpteenth time in a predictable slot.  So perhaps it's the order and context of the songs that bother people.  For me hearing Love and Peace followed by Sunday Bloody Sunday was a real downer and predictable.  Same with Pride during the Vertigo tour, it was long and plodding and was an obvious choice.  For me, that was the problem with The Vertigo tour.  The setlist was very paint by numbers, lazy, and predictable.  Whereas the Elevation tour had a clear through line that allowed for surprise and texture (i.e. Beautiful Day followed by Until the End of the World).  During the Vertigo tour, there were oldies that were just thrown out as if they thought "we have to play this one".  As a side note, I would love to hear older material they haven't played for a while.  But I don't want to hear Playboy Mansion unless there's a reason to.  For me the true sign of on old band is the band that simply mixes old and new material without context.  Example:  I as a Springsteen fan would be bored to tears if he played Born to Run after Thunder Road.  But imagine Born in the USA right after say The Wrestler.  That would be awesome.  So sometimes it's a matter of simply rotating the wheel instead of reinvening it  ;)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 12:47:46 AM by achtung child »

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2009, 01:03:41 AM »
I just find it interesting that it appears they played GOYB three times. All of the live versions I've heard have been solid, which makes me wonder if it's similar to Vertigo and the band just enjoys playing it over and over again. I'm also glad to see SBS get added to the list. :)

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2009, 01:17:25 AM »
The repeats of the songs could have been the band and the crew trying to synchronize the effects with the song.

It's good to see that U2 have narrowed down the songs played from the new album purely to the essentials and not the filler songs.  At least now there is room for some quality songs like In A Little While and Ultraviolet instead of the filler songs from NLOTH.

Good to know that so far they seem to have no intentions whatsoever to play Fez-Being Born, White As Snow, or Cedars Of Lebanon.

At least U2 have kept their heads grounded and know their audience well.

Cheers,

J

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2009, 02:30:20 AM »
As much as I would ove to hear some different older tracks, I don't have a problem with SBS. Out of all the classics it has the most passion/energy/aggression , something that is occasionally missing now . It's a nice return to the halycon days of an angry Bono in the War years.
Fellow A Sort of homecoming fans, with the resurgence of the UF songs, I think we should get it during the Dublin shows and maybe elsewhere. It would fit snugly into the NLOTH sound ..

Offline DulmoU2

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2009, 12:50:20 PM »
i think we can all agree here are no surprises here...as for SBS i was thinking it might come up, but i dont think it will be a regular....

Offline MelicansMatkin

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Matkin from U2Gigs
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2009, 01:21:47 PM »
Hmm, actually, just thinking about it, is anyone else surprised that they've drawn out both MLK and The Unforgettable Fire to make three songs from The Unforgettable Fire[/b] along with Pride? I wonder if it's, in effect, a mini-promotion for an unannounced but upcoming re-release...

Offline DulmoU2

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2009, 01:27:10 PM »
Hmm, actually, just thinking about it, is anyone else surprised that they've drawn out both MLK and The Unforgettable Fire to make three songs from The Unforgettable Fire[/b] along with Pride? I wonder if it's, in effect, a mini-promotion for an unannounced but upcoming re-release...

well....they do have plans to re-release UF in late 09 or early 2010 so....sounds logical