Author Topic: SPOILER: June 19 rehearsal  (Read 15754 times)

Offline zakkcar

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Re: SPOILER: June 19 rehearsal
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2009, 03:35:43 PM »
Just play Magnificent off the new record, the rest is filler. It really is.

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2009, 03:47:04 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

It most definitely is NOT filler music.

shockdocta22

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2009, 03:50:03 PM »

i like the album...but there is filler music :P

Offline daviddark

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2009, 03:54:46 PM »
I so hoped they'd open with Standup Comedy. Seemed to make so much sense. Maybe it'll happen yet.

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2009, 03:57:29 PM »

Such as?

shockdocta22

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2009, 08:06:07 PM »

Such as?

*Gets behind table*

Fez
White As SNow
Cedars
Boots

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2009, 10:46:32 PM »

Such as?

*Gets behind table*

Fez
White As SNow
Cedars
Boots

That table had better be really big!!!!

Fez: not sure if it's just that or Being Born too? Anyway, I love it. Getting a peek into the genesis of songwriting is fascinating.

White As Snow: brilliant take on a traditional melody (which can be both joyous and haunting in O Come O Come Emmanuel) while giving a look at man's inner desire for spiritual cleansing and salvation (the lamb white as snow being Jesus, the Lamb of God).

Cedars: not my favorite, but still a very chilling track which shows some great imagery and storytelling - never mind the oranges that reside in a tank, along with really good half-spoken lyrics.

Boots: the Moroccan influence is in full force! The experimentation is clearly evident. Scales and harmoines that aren't common in Western music are being used, along with an abstract song structure (verse-chorus-verse-bridge 1-verse-chorus-bridge 1-change (bridge 2)-chorus-outro. (normal structure being verse-chrous-verse-chorus-bridge-verse-chorus-out) and I still haven't even mentioned Larry's unconventional drumming on the bongos.

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
  • And I know that the tide is turning 'round....
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2009, 04:55:03 PM »
There is no way Fez-Being Born is a filler. Unless you tell me your definition of filler. I dont see U2 as the type of band that would do that. I really believe each song means something to them. And I cant see Edge or even Larry sayin "yea lets just throw this half ass tune in." I agree with the above post. Though White as Snow and Cedars arent my fav from the album, they each bring a different feel to the album. Which I like. I still believe that some who couldnt grasp Zooropa or Pop, dont know what to make of this album as well. Its no HTDAAB or ATYCLB. And thats fine with me.   

shockdocta22

Re: .
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2009, 06:46:10 PM »
There is no way Fez-Being Born is a filler. Unless you tell me your definition of filler. I dont see U2 as the type of band that would do that. I really believe each song means something to them. And I cant see Edge or even Larry sayin "yea lets just throw this half ass tune in." I agree with the above post. Though White as Snow and Cedars arent my fav from the album, they each bring a different feel to the album. Which I like. I still believe that some who couldnt grasp Zooropa or Pop, dont know what to make of this album as well. Its no HTDAAB or ATYCLB. And thats fine with me.   

When i say Fez, i meant Just the Fez part, its a throaway minute

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2009, 12:10:26 AM »

No way! It's what puts the "experiment" in "experimental".

Wow, my first line was terribly cliché. But it really shows some adventurous music, "thinking outside of the box", and give a look in how the album came through - the trip to Fez!

Offline globaljosh

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2009, 12:29:23 PM »

Wow, my first line was terribly cliché. But it really shows some adventurous music, "thinking outside of the box", and give a look in how the album came through - the trip to Fez!

Nahh, I think it's Eno trying to trick us into thinking it's "experimental." It has nothing to do with the song that follows and it's totally unnecessary. As far as I can tell, the only purpose of FEZ is to make us think, "Wow, that's abstract! Whoa. These guys are so experimental right now!"

I also don't like that they spelled the title in all caps. Makes me think of PEZ (which we all know are throwaway too.)

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2009, 12:46:53 PM »

Just because you don't care for something doesn't make it filler. Filler music is music that has not been worked hard on, and has been thrown in because they needed to fill an album. How you can possibly think White As Snow, an achingly beautiful song with brilliant lyrics, can be classed as filler music astounds me  ???

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2009, 12:50:27 PM »

Nahh, I think it's Eno trying to trick us into thinking it's "experimental." It has nothing to do with the song that follows and it's totally unnecessary. As far as I can tell, the only purpose of FEZ is to make us think, "Wow, that's abstract! Whoa. These guys are so experimental right now!"

I also don't like that they spelled the title in all caps. Makes me think of PEZ (which we all know are throwaway too.)

I don't really agree with that. I think it serves a purpose, to make the second half of the song really hit you when it kicks in. Same as Zooropa in that regard.