Author Topic: An Opinion Regarding the Tour  (Read 2646 times)

Offline BillyB

• Stranger in a Strange Land
An Opinion Regarding the Tour
« on: June 19, 2009, 05:33:25 PM »
I’ve been following closely the rehearsal setlists lately and I am quite happy with what I see.  It’s very exciting.  A few weeks ago I was going to write this letter about what they should not play in their sets instead of the usual “what I would like to hear” that everyone else is writing about. 

I was strongly against them playing Bullet the Blue Sky this time around as it has become a tired cliché in their live act.  I quite enjoyed it during the Zoo TV tour as well as Popmart and the song seemed to fit on those tours.  The last two tours it was them shoving this song down our throats like it’s some kind of monster hit and we’re dying to hear it.  It hit an absolute low point on the last tour as it was played much slower and Edge’s solo during the song had reached new levels of boredom.  It was definitely “the beer song”.  Now I know what you’re saying, “it’s not on the current setlists”, which brings me to my next point. 

For some reason when they tour, they seem compelled to make part of the show “the angry U2 part of the show”.  I just saw today, Sunday Bloody Sunday being rehearsed and my alarm bells went off.  Will we be subjected to another “angry” part of the show?  I hope not.  I am tired of the message that comes with these shows.  There are wars going on and it sucks.  I don’t need U2 to remind me.  Don’t get me wrong though, I do like Sunday Bloody Sunday.  I just didn’t like how that group of songs (Love and Peace, Sunday, Bullet, Sarajevo) were packaged on the last tour.  That part of the setlist never changed.  Does anyone know why Bullet was so special to them all these years?

The other thing is the preaching of politics.  Now I applaud Bono for everything he has done for his campaign for Africa, but they are his politics, not mine.  I am paying for a rock concert and to be entertained, not preached at.  I talked to people that had never before been to a U2 concert and the Vertigo tour was their first and the reaction I received was that is was pretty good except for all the talking.  There is an enormous global recession going on and for $250.00, $95.00, or whatever you paid, I would like to be entertained by a rock concert, not a political rally. 

I think we should hold our favourite band a little bit more accountable, so that they do not dish out the same thing every five years when they decide to tour again.   This tour has the potential to be great.  Let’s hear more from that deep catalogue of music. 

BB

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
Re: An Opinion Regarding the Tour
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 05:56:57 PM »
I respect your opinion but I completely disagree with everything you said.

As much as I dont like the slowing down of Bullet, it still is one of their most popular songs.  I see no reason why they shouldnt play it.  The fact that there are wars going on proves that an angry part of U2 needs to be played.  Bullet and SBS will help balance the concert out too, instead of 23 pop/soft rock tunes.  Throw in some of those powerful songs that get us (at least me) pumped up.

The preaching you speak of needs to stay because..thats Bono.  I want the whole Bono in September, the activist, humanitarian, and rocker.  Activism is such a huge part of his life, let him do it.  If you dont wanna hear preaching, dont come, cause you know he's gonna, and I cant wait to hear it

Offline BillyB

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 06:03:27 PM »
Your point is just as valid as mine.  It is proof that there is a diversity among the fans.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way as well as yourself.  I don't think it's appropriate to tell a fan not to attend based on an opinion. 

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 06:04:36 PM »
I didnt mean it in a negative way...dont worry

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 06:06:05 PM »
The preaching can be your "beer song"

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 10:40:24 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Does anyone know why Bullet was so special to them all these years?

It's the favorite song of Paul McGuine$$ - I'm sure that's a critical reason why it has been played virtually every set since it was released.

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 10:44:14 PM »
The preaching can be your "beer song"

I think Dirty Old Town, sung by Larry, is a grand Irish beer song. ;)

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 08:12:43 AM »
I think his solo sounded amazing last tour, Hendrix like, he should bring back a little more scratching though

Offline highway190

• Refugee
  • Not telling you where the J Tree is.
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 08:32:03 AM »
I think his solo sounded amazing last tour, Hendrix like, he should bring back a little more scratching though

The solo last tour? Hahahaha. Compared to JT-Elevation? The solo and the song were a complete piece (oooo lets play this slower so it will be more dramatic) last time around. The anger was gone from Bullet and it become part of the lounge act that was LAPOE/SBS/BTBS.

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 07:35:54 PM »
That is the one reason I like that they keep this song around in the line up. It's one of the few traditional "rock" solos that Edge puts down, and he always does it so well.

Offline evilways811

• Stateless
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 07:59:07 PM »
Your point is just as valid as mine.  It is proof that there is a diversity among the fans.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way as well as yourself.  I don't think it's appropriate to tell a fan not to attend based on an opinion. 

I agree with the preaching part. I had no problem with it in the past because it was kept to a minimun during Zoo TV and Popmart, but when Bono did it, it was in an ironic, sarcastic and almost arrogant way, which made it fun and cool. Ever since Elevation his preachings have become too overly serious and dull.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 10:16:10 PM »

I agree with the preaching part. I had no problem with it in the past because it was kept to a minimun during Zoo TV and Popmart, but when Bono did it, it was in an ironic, sarcastic and almost arrogant way, which made it fun and cool. Ever since Elevation his preachings have become too overly serious and dull.

I agree.

Offline sister moon

• Wanderer
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 10:56:05 PM »
Yeah, I'm really tired of bullet too.  Funny as it has taken on different names....."Beer Break"  and we refer to it as "the Bathroom Break song".  I'm so tired of hearing it, when it comes on my DVD's I skip past it.  The political stuff was ok last tour, I don't think Bono talked that long and it was incorporated well into the songs.

hurricane hugo

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 01:35:08 AM »
you pay for U2, you get U2. don't like it, stay home. they owe you nothing.

#@!

Offline u2pinstripes

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 02:01:24 AM »
you pay for U2, you get U2. don't like it, stay home. they owe you nothing.

#@!

I disagree.  They owe all of us alot.  If it wasn't for their fans (especially the die hards on here) they would be nowhere as far their musical careers are concerned.