Author Topic: An Opinion Regarding the Tour  (Read 2662 times)

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: An Opinion Regarding the Tour
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2009, 02:25:01 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
you pay for U2, you get U2. don't like it, stay home. they owe you nothing.

#@!

I disagree.  They owe all of us alot.  If it wasn't for their fans (especially the die hards on here) they would be nowhere as far their musical careers are concerned.

pfft!  You, we are owed nothing.  You/I paid for an album and we got that.  You/I paid for a shirt and we got that.  I dont expect more than what I paid for on that particular purchase.

If I buy a car from Honda I dont expect Honda to do anything more than give me a properly running car with tall the options I paid for.  I dont feel OWED as a customer, for them to cater to every suggestion I have on their next model.  As a company they should listen to feedback based on statistics on what the majority of customers want, if they want to continue selling.  However, there are certain aspects of making thier next car, that the majority of customers dont know crap about, and in the end Id rather have Honda make those decisions when making the car, then when they are done, I will decide if I like it... that simple.  Companies can listen to some suggestions, mainly the ones that the majority wants but they shouldnt listen to everything.  Artists, even less so... otherwise they wouldnt be artists, they would just be musical reactionists.

You and I chose to buy the products on our own.  I dont want an artist to pander to me.

Now things like fanclub offering are slightly different, as it would be smarter from a business perspective to listen to what fans want in terms of product offerings like tickets, cds, shirts etc... because this is not a creative process on the bands part.  Anything creative like an album, a tour, the band should follow its own instincts, its what makes them a band, sets them apart.  YOU AND I are owed nothing, just as they are owed nothing when it comes to me deciding if I will purchase an album or ticket.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2009, 06:01:20 AM »
They won't play bullet.

By the end of Vertigo it was even being left out.

It's tired, old and stands for nothing anymore. Time marches on.

Offline wrldchamps04

• Numb
  • ^^rock n roll perfection^^
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2009, 12:26:10 PM »
They are what they are....sometimes political ? YES (and always have been, to some degree) sometimes preachy? YES.......entertaining? YES (almost always)......all of these things at a U2 Live show? YES......don't get all "upset" when it happens, you know it's coming.....they "owe" nothing to anybody, love 'em or hate 'em for , They Are What They Are......and I'll be there!

Offline rlj1010

• Wanderer
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2009, 01:41:39 PM »
I enjoy Bullet The Blue Sky live, but for the sake of variety, I do hope they drop it.

A good percentage of U2 concertgoers are repeat attendees, and they've experienced Bullet numerous times already.

I'd prefer them to keep their show fresh, and play something that's skipped a few tours, in its place.

Offline Achtung_Habs

• Party Girl/Boy
  • In the name of Love
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2009, 01:57:08 PM »
They should drop Bullet and bring back Exit !!  Now that's one angry song !

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2009, 12:44:43 AM »
Bravo. Good call.

Offline garciaricky0019

• Babyface
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2009, 02:46:32 AM »
They should drop Bullet and bring back Exit !!  Now that's one angry song !

God Part II has a snappy feel to it too!!

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2009, 06:59:31 AM »
They should play silver and gold instead of bullet, it's amazing. It's the most pure rock and roll song going by the boys.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2009, 08:08:37 AM »
It is indeed a very welcome development for them to drop Bullet The Blue Sky.

Their act of putting Until The End Of The World and New Year's Day together is getting old and tired.  It's good that they have rested those songs for now.  The setlist so far looks very fresh and exciting.

I really applaud U2.

The full band Walk On also truly deserves to be back on the setlist.

Cheers,

J

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2009, 08:26:51 AM »
I want the proper 'hallelujah' addition to Walk on at the close as well, not the slane version, the other one. It makes the song even better.

Offline rodander

• Babyface
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2009, 08:31:08 AM »
The other thing is the preaching of politics.  Now I applaud Bono for everything he has done for his campaign for Africa, but they are his politics, not mine.  I am paying for a rock concert and to be entertained, not preached at.  I talked to people that had never before been to a U2 concert and the Vertigo tour was their first and the reaction I received was that is was pretty good except for all the talking.  There is an enormous global recession going on and for $250.00, $95.00, or whatever you paid, I would like to be entertained by a rock concert, not a political rally. 

Only time I've seen them was the Vertigo tour, and I was actually surprised by how little preaching there was (I expected more).  And to the extent that Bono preached, it was an ink-blot test -- anyone could find a way to agree with what he said regardless of your viewpoint (I'm probably to the right of d**k Cheney, and I was OK with all of it).  So if he does preach, and does so in the same honest style, that's not what I'm there for but it's OK -- it's part of the soul of the show.

And a U2 show is what rock n roll is all about.  Music with soul and energy, and a huge connection between the performers and the crowd.  

P.S. They can play what they want, AFAIAC.  It'll be good -- I trust them.