Author Topic: Epiphany about U2360 Presented by Blackberry  (Read 3144 times)

Vonobox

Epiphany about U2360 Presented by Blackberry
« on: June 20, 2009, 11:21:44 AM »
I just had a "Eureka" moment.  Thank you MirrorballMoon!

An idea for U2360 that I just thought of....

Instead of playing 15 or 16 songs and coming back for a 4 song encore, how about this?

U2 plays No Line on the Horizon from beginning to end, including Winter. 

Then they take a short intermission, during which time everyone with a Blackberry can vote on the post-intermission setlist! 

Obviously, they can't be prepared to play their entire catalogue, but give voters with Blackberries about 30 songs to choose from, and the top 10 vote-getters are then played to close the show.

How cool would THAT be???

Offline oy_vey_mama

• Babyface
Re: Epiphany about U2360 Presented by Blackberry
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 11:28:33 AM »
That would actually be really fun. I've seen both Elvis Costello and Mike Peters (of the Alarm) do shows that involved audience requests. It brings a whole new energy. In Costello's case, he used a "spinning songbook" and invited audience members to come up and spin a giant roulette wheel. Each slot was a different song, wherever the wheel stopped, that's the song that was played. Can't remember how they managed it so songs wouldn't be played more than once, but it's still one of my all-time favorite concerts.

Offline evilways811

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 11:37:58 AM »
Heck no, unless they just do a mass text messaging vote, cause I have an iPhone and a lot of people also have regular old cell phones.

Vonobox

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 11:40:40 AM »
Sorry, I'm not trying to exclude I-phoners or those with regular cell phones. 

It occurred to me that Blackberry's sponsorship of the tour might involve some interactive technology like that. 

Texting from any phone would work in my idea, so take out the Blackberry part!

Offline DRay9911

• Stateless
  • el pueblo vencera
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 11:41:23 AM »
the stones did that in 97 during the bridges to babylon tour.

each show had a handful of songs and people voted a few days before the actual show.

-dan

hurricane hugo

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 11:41:32 AM »
it would SUCK. you'd just get the singles.

#@!

hurricane hugo

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 11:42:38 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
the stones did that in 97 during the bridges to babylon tour.

each show had a handful of songs and people voted a few days before the actual show.

-dan

Bowie did that for Sound and Vision in '90.  :P

#@!

Vonobox

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 11:51:10 AM »
it would SUCK. you'd just get the singles.

#@!

Are you saying that you'd like to hear 12 never-before-performed songs from NLOTH, then 10 more obscure songs from U2's catalogue?  That would seem totally at odds with a stadium tour to take so much untested material onto the road.   Maybe it would work better for a tour of 5,000-7,500 seat venues. 

hurricane hugo

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 12:00:03 PM »
what I'm saying is that you'd get the exact same result every g-ddamn time.

#@!

Vonobox

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 12:14:07 PM »
what I'm saying is that you'd get the exact same result every g-ddamn time.

#@!

Here's an idea, why don't you READ THE QUESTION before typing a curse-filled reply?

My question was (scroll up if you don't believe me) "would it be better for you to hear No Line start to finish and then ten of their lesser known songs?" 

I wasn't challenging your opinion, I was encouraging you to elaborate on what you wanted to hear.  It would really be interesting if the songs U2 gave us to vote from was comprised only of lesser-known material. 

Please if you choose to answer (and I'd sincerely like you to) then think about what was asked, take a breath or two, and post a thoughtful reply that doesn't give the appearance that you're less intelligent than you really are by using expletives.  Ok?

Offline zakkcar

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 03:37:27 PM »
The votes won't count. Useless gimmick.  They know they want to play.

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 07:31:06 PM »
Wouldn't "No Line On The Horizon" from start to finish, and ten of their lesser known songs be the same thing.? ;)

Offline evilways811

• Stateless
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 08:01:58 PM »
Plus there are songs from NLOTH that I seriously wouldn't wanna hear again, much less live, where it would take the space from a better deserved song.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2009, 08:57:37 PM »
That would actually be really fun. I've seen both Elvis Costello and Mike Peters (of the Alarm) do shows that involved audience requests. It brings a whole new energy. In Costello's case, he used a "spinning songbook" and invited audience members to come up and spin a giant roulette wheel. Each slot was a different song, wherever the wheel stopped, that's the song that was played. Can't remember how they managed it so songs wouldn't be played more than once, but it's still one of my all-time favorite concerts.

I am going to see him in a small club in NYC and it is an acoustic performance!!! Mike is one of my favorites and I have a few requests for him! ;)

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 10:04:40 PM »
I am not sure about the voting aspect...  Part of me thinks that it is neat to get a voice in the decision, part of me thinks that the artist should just decide on their own.

As far as playing NLOTH from start to finish... I am COMPLETELY against this idea. 
1)  Now, I LOVE the album, but some songs I dont care to hear live at all.  I dont think White As Snow will be any better live in a stadium setting than the album version (a small venue would probably be steller).  I dont think Cedars would be good live song in ANY setting.
2)  I feel that live is a whole other beast.  The show should be seen as a whole.  You know you will play songs from previous albums.  Therefore, it is best to see how ALL the songs(pieces) fit together best for a complete show that flows well.
3)  Playing NLOTH first, then other songs is a broken chopped up experience.
4)  There is not as much room to play with older material and see it within a new context.  Playing older songs and pairing them with new songs allows for new insight into older material that you may not have experienced or known before.  Separating NLOTH would kill this.