Author Topic: Epiphany about U2360 Presented by Blackberry  (Read 3143 times)

hurricane hugo

Re: Epiphany about U2360 Presented by Blackberry
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2009, 01:27:22 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
what I'm saying is that you'd get the exact same result every g-ddamn time.

#@!

Here's an idea, why don't you READ THE QUESTION before typing a curse-filled reply?

My question was (scroll up if you don't believe me) "would it be better for you to hear No Line start to finish and then ten of their lesser known songs?" 

I wasn't challenging your opinion, I was encouraging you to elaborate on what you wanted to hear.  It would really be interesting if the songs U2 gave us to vote from was comprised only of lesser-known material. 

Please if you choose to answer (and I'd sincerely like you to) then think about what was asked, take a breath or two, and post a thoughtful reply that doesn't give the appearance that you're less intelligent than you really are by using expletives.  Ok?

you asked 2 questions in your initial post; which one are you referring to? not that it matters - my answer is the same for each. I also don't like the idea because NOT EVERYONE HAS A CELLPHONE.

#@!

edit/p.s. - f*** you, you f****** f*** !  :P
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 01:45:47 AM by hurricane hugo »

Offline FishLips

• Stateless
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2009, 02:05:39 AM »
It's an interesting idea, but I don't think it would work well for U2.  They're at their best when they put on a well-organized show, not just play a bunch of tunes.

Think of it this way:

If you were going to see a movie, would you want everyone in the audience to vote on how the movie should end?  Or would you rather leave it up to the director?

And I think H.Hugo is right, in that you would probably end up with all the same typical hits that everyone knows, in random order.  I don't think that would make for a very interesting show.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2009, 06:04:46 AM »
the stones did that in 97 during the bridges to babylon tour.

each show had a handful of songs and people voted a few days before the actual show.

-dan

Bowie did that for Sound and Vision in '90.  :P

#@!

Mozart did it in 1774

Offline evilways811

• Stateless
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2009, 08:35:08 AM »
Pfft, Jesus did it in 0026 when J & The 'Postles rolled into town.

Vonobox

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 11:21:56 AM »
The votes won't count. Useless gimmick.  They know they want to play.

You're mistaken if you think U2's setlist is inflexible and has no room for spontaneity.  I have seen them play songs at a second's notice because of a sign being held up by a fan.  Bono had to scramble to find lyrics for A Sort of Homecoming because the band kicked into it unexpectedly and he didn't remember the second verse.

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2009, 11:27:40 AM »
Pfft, Jesus did it in 0026 when J & The 'Postles rolled into town.

ROFL!  :D

Vonobox

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2009, 11:30:40 AM »

#@!

Here's an idea, why don't you READ THE QUESTION before typing a curse-filled reply?

My question was (scroll up if you don't believe me) "would it be better for you to hear No Line start to finish and then ten of their lesser known songs?" 

I wasn't challenging your opinion, I was encouraging you to elaborate on what you wanted to hear.  It would really be interesting if the songs U2 gave us to vote from was comprised only of lesser-known material. 

Please if you choose to answer (and I'd sincerely like you to) then think about what was asked, take a breath or two, and post a thoughtful reply that doesn't give the appearance that you're less intelligent than you really are by using expletives.  Ok?

you asked 2 questions in your initial post; which one are you referring to? not that it matters - my answer is the same for each. I also don't like the idea because NOT EVERYONE HAS A CELLPHONE.

#@!

Nice.  You've done an exemplary job demonstrating that intelligent conversation is beyond your capability.  How could your answer be the same for two different unknown questions?  

Regarding your comment that not everyone has cellphones, I'll put it to a vote.  I'm absolutely certain you're right, but I'm guessing that the majority of people attending a U2 concert will have a cell phone or have access to a cell phone.  If I'm right and the majority do have cell phones, then U2 would be allowing for interactive audience participation for most of their fans.  

Vonobox

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2009, 11:32:19 AM »
It's an interesting idea, but I don't think it would work well for U2.  They're at their best when they put on a well-organized show, not just play a bunch of tunes.

Think of it this way:

If you were going to see a movie, would you want everyone in the audience to vote on how the movie should end?  Or would you rather leave it up to the director?

And I think H.Hugo is right, in that you would probably end up with all the same typical hits that everyone knows, in random order.  I don't think that would make for a very interesting show.

You may very well be right.  It's just a thought.  I didn't mean to suggest that it's the only choice or the right thing to do. 

Vonobox

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2009, 11:38:44 AM »
Wouldn't "No Line On The Horizon" from start to finish, and ten of their lesser known songs be the same thing.? ;)

You know, you're right!!

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2009, 11:54:05 AM »
The band Yes had fans vote on their entire set list prior to one tour and then played that set list. Crowded House (or any band that Neil Finn was part of after Split Enz) has taken fan requests every time I have seen them. As mentioned earlier, The Alarm (or Mike Peters solo) also does this.

There's no way U2 do this, even though it is a very cool idea, because they have a very structured show in order to maximize lighting and supporting sound effects.

Vonobox

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2009, 11:33:02 AM »

#@!

#@!

Hey Hurricane Hugo, check this out.    You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Currently, with about 25 votes cast, about 90% of the people at the concert will have cell phones.  At what threshhold would you assert that a representative sampling of concert-goers would be achieved?  95% with cell phones?  98% with cell phones?

I think it's safe to say that, if 7 out of 10 people with cell phones, that "the people" will have spoken if U2 allow us to text in requests. 

Do you have anything to add to this discussion less juvenile than "f*** you, you f****** f***!" or are you looking through the dictionary trying to learn more big important words to make your point?  Personally, I try to learn English from sources other than just movie dialogue.