Author Topic: Old and New. When did you start listening to U2 and what got u hooked!  (Read 5130 times)

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
  • And I know that the tide is turning 'round....
As I reach the ripe old age of 36, and with the new album coming out, I started to think about the release of every album prior, and all the excitement that goes with it. I probably can do a timeline of my life starting with UF. lol  That was the first album I heard. But then when JT came out and I  heard Streets,  I was hooked. Then going to my first concert( JT tour), really got me. So Im just interested to hear other fan's stories about when, where and why they like U2.

Offline kev346

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I'm ready I'm ready for the laughing gas
Re: Old and New. When did you start listening to U2 and what got u hooked!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 03:09:48 PM »
It was the War album that really got me hooked . my cousins boyfriend had tape( remember them ?) of the album which he would play in his van all the time . There was something about the way the sound of that album would just echo around the back of the empty van that just connected with me as a thirteen year old . From that moment on I was a fan ! Then the minute i heard Pride that was it no going back!
so that's how I got into U2 . Looking forward to hear more stories of how you got to love U2.

InThisHeartland

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 03:19:22 PM »
being only 15, I missed out on all of the 80s and 90s. My parents are moderately fans of U2, nothing near me, so I heard them a lot growing up. My dad had Under a blood red sky on cd, so I "wore the grooves off it" as my dad says with my cd player. All that you can't leave behind was one o my favorites too

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 03:29:19 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It was the War album that really got me hooked . my cousins boyfriend had tape( remember them ?) of the album which he would play in his van all the time . There was something about the way the sound of that album would just echo around the back of the empty van that just connected with me as a thirteen year old . From that moment on I was a fan ! Then the minute i heard Pride that was it no going back!
so that's how I got into U2 . Looking forward to hear more stories of how you got to love U2.

LOL. Yea my friend let me borrow his JT tape, and I remember rewinding and fast forwarding. The good old days. I was a junior in HS when that came out, 16. Its funny though. I heard UF just before JT came out, but went back to UF and listened to it more than the JT at that time. And it is now my fav album. Go figure. Did that make sense? lol

Offline BeneathTheNoise

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 03:31:01 PM »
I remember liking Sunday Bloody Sunday when it first came out as a video on MTV. Yet for the next several years, I thought U2 was a little hokey. Especially when The Joshua Tree came out. I was watching MTV all of the time back then. Every other video played on MTV back in '87 was either Where The Streets Have No Name, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, or With or Without You. Man, was I ever sick of them. Wasn't too long after the JT phenomenon that Rattle and Hum came out. Rattle and Hum came out right when I started high school. I remember for a large part thinking U2 was a "prep band". It seemed like only the rich & popular crowd at my high school were into them. Not wanting to fit into the norm in even the slightest way, I tried and tried to resist the U2 charm. I remember when Desire came out. Sigh. I thought that song was so goofy. I remember when Angel of Harlem came out. Thought it was boring. Thought Bono looked like a dork in that video. Seemed like all hope was lost, and my soul was about to drift down the path of ((cringe)) total hair-metal love.. when, all the sudden.. When Love Comes To Town came out. No matter what I had thought before, no matter how hard I tried to resist.. that song, for some reason, just GOT me. I can't explain it. I have NO clue what happened. Next thing you know, I couldn't call any song or video by U2 goofy or dorky, I wanted all of the albums, I wanted to know everything about them. & it's been that way ever since.  ;D

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 03:33:33 PM »
I first heard of them in 1998 - With or Without You was playing and ask my dad who they were and said it was U2. Since then I heard many of their songs floating in the background of places but never took notice....until Beautiful Day played. And you know where story goes from there: back-tracking, watching lives and being brainwashed by the Zoo TVs :P

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 04:07:32 PM »
When I first danced to a great song called I Will Follow in the Ritz in NYC way back when! And when I saw the video of those cute Irish boys on the Dublin docks shouting Gloria!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline julesport

• Holy Joe
  • Free yourself to be yourself...
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 05:22:12 PM »
I'm with StrongGirl........when I first saw the video for "Gloria" I was hooked............then I saw the video for "New Year's Day" and fell in love; U2 has been my favorite band ever since.  This was the first concert my then boyfriend, now ex-husband, and I attended together (84/85 concert in Hampton, VA)...........and U2 is the last concert we attended together (2001 in Ft. Lauderdale, FL)....I'm looking forward to the next tour for new memories!!!

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 07:27:38 PM »
MTV + SBS + white flag + fires + fog + Bono = true love

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 07:28:51 PM »
Did that make any sense?  I probably shouldn't post after a glass of wine.   :-\

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 12:01:40 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
MTV + SBS + white flag + fires + fog + Bono = true love

Im thinking its Live at Red Rocks? Sunday Bloody Sunday. Makes perfect sense!

Sydney_Mike

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 01:15:55 AM »
Like StrongGirl and Julsport, I trace my love of U2 way back to the Gloria video when it was released. Bono's passion, the anthemic chorus and Edge's guitar got me in, and New Year's Day added to it. But it was a concert that I taped off the radio (remember doing that?) that really convinced me that I had to follow and see this band. Sadly, that tape has long since been lost but it must have been from the War tour and opened with "You may leave your seats now Boston...this is Out of Control". It was an awesome show. Some of the tracks have since been released as B-Sides, but I miss that tape.

Be interested to see who, in this forum, can trace their interest back the furthest. StrongGirl, did you hear I Will Follow when it was 'new' or was it later?   

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 01:43:32 AM »
For me I wasn't allowed to watch MTV when I was younger so I missed out on early U2 but whenever I saw their videos I would stop and watch, so I did like them a little.  I got hooked when I saw the Elevation video and at that time they where on TV a lot so I got instantly hooked in 2001.  It started as a secret obsession I had to learn about them and their history.  The first U2 site I found was atu2 and since then it has been my place to find out news and info. 

Offline mattyk

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 01:49:30 AM »
I'm a relative newbie. Became a fan around 2000 (when I was fifteen). Had been aware of them for a couple of years before that, but not a "fan". Then I borrowed two albums, All That You Can't Leave Behind and Achtung Baby. They surprised me for two reasons: 1. because neither of them had the three U2 songs that I knew well (and really wanted to listen to), namely With Or Without You, Where The Streets Have No Name and I Still Haven't Found What I'm looking For. I did know some of the songs on both albums, but not really well. 2. They were really, really, really good (esp AB) and I thought "I'm onto something special here" (I know, only twenty years after the rest of the world, but hell I was only fifteen!).

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 02:13:15 AM »
I remember when Beautiful Day came out, I absolutely loved it but strangely didn't know who it was by (i was quite young then), I loved it when it came on the radio occasionally. About 5 years later after searching the artist I found out that is was U2 after watching Live 8, a year prior to that I heard Vertigo and I really liked it, I also heard All Because Of You with the video of them in that floating car in New York I think it was, in 2006, my interest in U2 generated and for that Christmas I bought U218 Singles and my knowledge of U2 expanded as well as enjoyment, now i'm buying older albums and watching U2ube as well as becoming obsessed with their amazing music as I am to this day.

Thats my story, weird but true.