Author Topic: Old and New. When did you start listening to U2 and what got u hooked!  (Read 5134 times)

Offline Northern Star

• Stateless
Re: Old and New. When did you start listening to U2 and what got u hooked!
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2008, 02:37:32 AM »
It all started when I saw the Red Rocks special on The Tube in 1983.  I was amazed by this band that until then I had not heard of.  I didn't immediately become as massive fans then though, but it was the beginning of fandom that has lasted for 25 years (so far!) I never forgot them on The Tube and I specially wanted to see them on Live Aid two years later and that was it, I was reallyhooked after that amazing performance.   And here I am all those years later as excited as ever by the prospect of a new album!

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2008, 07:59:41 AM »
It was ATYCLB for me. I was 12 or 13 when I heard Beautiful Day and I got the album for my Christmas. After Bomb came out I got into their 90's stuff properly and became REALLY hooked.

Offline bonovox66

• Refugee
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2008, 11:13:55 AM »
For me it was sheer fate. It was the 2-3 second clip of the Beatle imposters in The Fly video. I was flipping through channels (never watched or liked MTV) and for a split second I caught what I thought was The Beatles. Having been raised on them I had to go back and watch the rest of the video. Who was this U2? Well come to find out I had heard a few songs of theirs, but it was years before (Streets. Pride, With or With Out you). So I got a copy of Achtung Baby and fell in love. after a year I began to forget about them. Then on my birthday in '93 (7/6/93 the actual release date so it was fate I tell ya!) I was in a record store and ran across a new album by U2 called Zooropa. So I picked up the copy. That entire summer it was the only album I listened to. 

Offline MEMORY_MAN

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I must follow the path to the endless road...
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2008, 01:48:01 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
For me it was sheer fate. It was the 2-3 second clip of the Beatle imposters in The Fly video. I was flipping through channels (never watched or liked MTV) and for a split second I caught what I thought was The Beatles. Having been raised on them I had to go back and watch the rest of the video. Who was this U2? Well come to find out I had heard a few songs of theirs, but it was years before (Streets. Pride, With or With Out you). So I got a copy of Achtung Baby and fell in love. after a year I began to forget about them. Then on my birthday in '93 (7/6/93 the actual release date so it was fate I tell ya!) I was in a record store and ran across a new album by U2 called Zooropa. So I picked up the copy. That entire summer it was the only album I listened to. 

I think the video you are thinking of is for Even Better Than The Real Thing which also has U2 imposters.

Offline u2boy11

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Miss Holiday Golightly, Traveling.
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2008, 05:35:09 PM »
I was 14, listening to our local college radio when I heard, "Uno, Dos, Tres, Catorce!" and an awesome guitar riff come through the speakers. I was instantly hooked. That was September of my first year in high school. Then I saw the iPod commerical. I fell in love. One of my teachers was a crazy U2 fan and she introduced me to more of their music --- after that...there was no turning back. I went to a record store and bought the Best of 1980-1990 and escaped into a new world.

Offline connyb

• Wanderer
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2008, 06:22:12 PM »
I first started listening to them when UF came out. I liked them then. But what really made me love them was when I saw them on Live Aid. I was totally mesmerized by them. They knocked my socks off my feet ! I've been in love with them since then.

Offline oopski

• Stateless
  • And i don't know how to pray anymore
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2008, 07:02:24 PM »
When I first danced to a great song called I Will Follow in the Ritz in NYC way back when! And when I saw the video of those cute Irish boys on the Dublin docks shouting Gloria!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Weren't they the cutest irish boys back then?!  God, I remember like it was yesterday, smoking a bit o weed after school, on my friend harry's couch, and this SOUND came out of that new fangled MTV.......hooked on that for way longer than that wacky tabacky!!!!

Offline oopski

• Stateless
  • And i don't know how to pray anymore
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2008, 07:07:52 PM »
I have to say that it is AWESOME that kids are listening to and GETTING our U2!  Like, there IS hope for the human race....and that has nothing to do with their good works and sh**......Their music is IT.
Go oh you young ones, stand in line all day and get those nose bleed seats-I love u2 from the third balconey in Boston Garden BEST! Salute!

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2008, 07:12:13 PM »
I have to say that it is AWESOME that kids are listening to and GETTING our U2!  Like, there IS hope for the human race....and that has nothing to do with their good works and sh**......Their music is IT.
Go oh you young ones, stand in line all day and get those nose bleed seats-I love u2 from the third balconey in Boston Garden BEST! Salute!

Theres actually more teenagers and young people like me that adore U2s music than I thought, alot of them roam around here too.  :)

luieu2

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2008, 07:54:50 PM »
85 i was 17 i heard pride i was hooked  :) see all next year i am going on a holiday with the kids and wife all best for the new year .. i know that this is not good bye .....peace ;D :D ;)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 08:15:30 PM by luieu2 »