Author Topic: June 22 Rehearsels  (Read 1918 times)

Offline MelicansMatkin

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Matkin from U2Gigs
June 22 Rehearsels
« on: June 22, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

After yesterday's break, U2 have continued rehearsing in Barcelona. They have been focusing on some specific songs and transitions in conjunction with visuals. Also, the rehearsals of Crazy Tonight have been just Bono singing to a taped remix.

Today's songs have been:

Crazy Tonight (remix)
Pride
Desmond Tutu speech
MLK
One (incomplete)
Pride (incomplete)
Desmond Tutu speech
One (incomplete)
The Unforgettable Fire (incomplete)
The Unforgettable Fire
Vertigo (incomplete)
The Unforgettable Fire (from the middle)
The Unforgettable Fire (from the middle again)
Vertigo (incomplete)
City Of Blinding Lights
The Unforgettable Fire (from the middle)
Vertigo
City Of Blinding Lights
Crazy Tonight (remix)
MLK/speech
Pride
MLK
Where The Streets Have No Name
Walk On

After a break of 15-20 minutes, the band then returned to rehearse Walk On once more.

And I guess we could add Electrical Storm somewhere to that list since Larry seems to have been practoicing the bells.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 04:02:37 PM by Matkin22 »

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
Re: June 22 Rehearsels
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 06:33:15 PM »
It looks like they're seeing what songs fit with each other. 

Offline ciaz

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 07:21:37 PM »
It looks like they're seeing what songs fit with each other. 

Yeah, that's what I think. Lots of Unforgettable Fire rehearsing can also only be a good thing :D

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 07:35:48 PM »
I love U2's focus for the first few shows, that they came in Barcelona with a pre-ordained plan to the setlist and stuck with it.  They are doing a magnificent job of choosing the good songs from the past (aka no POP), and gone with some overplayed songs that were never really that popular with the fans or on the chart, such as I Will Follow which was played every Popmart show and a lot of Elevation shows, and New Years' Day.  Yet they have still managed to keep their obligatory tracks (WOWY, One, Pride) and added some curveballs for the hardcores - Ultraviolet, Drowning Man, The Unforgettable Fire.  Best of all, the new album tracks they are playing are the listenable songs and none of the filler songs (Fez-Being Born, Cedars of Lebanon, White As Snow). I think U2 have virtually nailed the setlist based on their rehearsals.

Cheers,

J

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 07:44:44 PM »
I love U2's focus for the first few shows, that they came in Barcelona with a pre-ordained plan to the setlist and stuck with it.  They are doing a magnificent job of choosing the good songs from the past (aka no POP), and gone with some overplayed songs that were never really that popular with the fans or on the chart, such as I Will Follow which was played every Popmart show and a lot of Elevation shows, and New Years' Day.  Yet they have still managed to keep their obligatory tracks (WOWY, One, Pride) and added some curveballs for the hardcores - Ultraviolet, Drowning Man, The Unforgettable Fire.  Best of all, the new album tracks they are playing are the listenable songs and none of the filler songs (Fez-Being Born, Cedars of Lebanon, White As Snow). I think U2 have virtually nailed the setlist based on their rehearsals.

Cheers,

J

Must you rub it in that they're not playing POP all the time?  We get it, they hate that album!

Offline Nlee

• Stateless
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 07:45:24 PM »
and none of the filler songs (Fez-Being Born).

Being Born is the most lyrically (and possibly even musically) solid song on the album  ;D

I wouldn't mind seeing a Pop song on every 2nd night or so... Electrical Storm would also be nice, but they'd need to drop Beautiful Day or Walk On to make room, methinks.

-Nick

Offline LaughingGas

• Refugee
  • "Your face pressed up against the glass"
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 10:58:27 PM »
Electrical Storm!  Next to Mofo, that is definitely the song I would most like to see live!  Yeeeehaaaa, Bring it!

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 12:26:56 AM »

Being Born is the most lyrically (and possibly even musically) solid song on the album  ;D

I wouldn't mind seeing a Pop song on every 2nd night or so... Electrical Storm would also be nice, but they'd need to drop Beautiful Day or Walk On to make room, methinks.

-Nick

They can drop Drowning Man for Electrical Storm.

I do hope that Ultraviolet will be a permanent fixture in the setlist though, provided U2's performance of the song is good. We really can't tell how well suited the state of Bono's voice is to that song until we hear it.  As for the old songs, this is a victory for the fans of U2's classic hits - at least they are assured of hearing the old standards on tour.  Give me Pride any day over Acrobat.

Cheers,

J

Offline globaljosh

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 07:45:07 AM »

-Nick

They can drop Drowning Man for Electrical Storm.

I do hope that Ultraviolet will be a permanent fixture in the setlist though, provided U2's performance of the song is good. We really can't tell how well suited the state of Bono's voice is to that song until we hear it.  As for the old songs, this is a victory for the fans of U2's classic hits - at least they are assured of hearing the old standards on tour.  Give me Pride any day over Acrobat.

Cheers,

J

A statement from the J-man that I agree with! I appreciate that Drowning Man is a rarity and all, but there are sooo many other tracks I'd rather hear - even if we're just talking about the War album! Out of all the oldies to unearth - Drowning Man? Ehh.