Author Topic: SPOILER: June 23 rehearsals  (Read 21207 times)

Offline dougie

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • A Bozo on the bus going nowhere!
Re: SPOILER: June 23 rehearsals
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2009, 10:15:43 PM »
Boy, if they play the type of sets their rehearsing, people are in for a real treat!

It seems the boys are headed in the right direction. And, their still remembering the new ones.

Offline DulmoU2

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2009, 10:21:08 PM »
well it looks we al werent that far off when we sarted to make our predictions some of the non ever imaginable songs are back! ad the new ones are...THERE lol

its the first song from POP to be out so far but it better not be the last....now kick out some Zooropa and everything will be U2ish...aka perfection!

**Edited for Language by Admin**
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 02:23:44 AM by Joe90usa »

Offline Kyle

• Babyface
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2009, 10:36:31 PM »
I must admit these setlists have been the most exciting U2 news since the album came out. I am a fan of the inlcusion of Ultraviolet and Drowning Man, the selection of songs from NLOTH, and the exclusion of certain staples. Interested to see what they do with Unforgettable Fire, and If God Will Send His Angels - that could be good.

I am also with the hoardes of you calling out for Acrobat. I think it is one of the best things they've ever done.

Also not a fan of bringing back SYCMIOYO. It's boring.

Of course, all of this is severly undermined by the fact that there is no word on the tour coming to Australia. At least put me out of my misery and give me a definite "no". Bah.

They'll never come back to Perth after what Burswood stadium (allegedly) did to them on Popmart.  :(

Offline j2736 (i'm not a boy ! )

• Desert Rose
  • watch more television
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2009, 10:54:06 PM »
i wonder what would be the final setlist...U2 just got so many songs and it's a tough job to squeeze them, choosing the best songs for a beautiful concert to happen. :)

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2009, 11:57:25 PM »
Really starting to hope/believe that a more differentiated Nite A and Nite B (comparative to the reas of thier tours) is a possibility.

The evidence that it isnt as far fetched as we might think is here.
1)  Elevation had more variation in songs than the tours before it
2)  Vertigo had even more variation in songs than all the tours before it
3)  Vertigo had more variation in openers than any previous U2 tour
4)  Vertigo had more variation in closers than any previous U2 tour.
5)  Both Bono and Edge have mentioned more variation and mixing it up more this tour.  And yes, I am aware that we cant rely on Bono's words too much... However, this has NEVER been one of his cliche or common sayings that he always says like "The Edge is really on fire", "We're just having fun being a band",  "Blah blah blah Chemistry is special between us... blah blah blah molecules", "If we arent trying to make our best album then its time to quit"  or something similar.  Bono has never talked much about the band wanting to mix up the setlist more, as far as I know.  The only comments I know of him referring to thier setlists, says more of the opposite -  purposefully having a statis list so one nite isnt better than the other and to have more of a complete show every nite.
6)  I dont remember hearing this much variation during rehearsals before.  Last tour, I think there were almost as much spoilers on the web but there didnt seem to be as much variation...  At least I think... its hard to remember tnow.

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2009, 02:13:11 AM »
Seems to me that this was almost two rehearsals in one, divided by the (break). I think what follows the break is almost the actual setlist they're trying out -- but without Drowning Man and a couple others that are maybe still being fitted in at the right place.

Seems like Breathe, No Line, and Magnificent are all possible openers. Moment has been the last song rehearsed several times now. Pride or Streets seem like closers for the main set.

Of course, I could be full of crap and have no clue what I'm talking about. :) But it's fun to look for patterns in what they're doing.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2009, 02:54:15 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I must admit these setlists have been the most exciting U2 news since the album came out. I am a fan of the inlcusion of Ultraviolet and Drowning Man, the selection of songs from NLOTH, and the exclusion of certain staples. Interested to see what they do with Unforgettable Fire, and If God Will Send His Angels - that could be good.

I am also with the hoardes of you calling out for Acrobat. I think it is one of the best things they've ever done.

Also not a fan of bringing back SYCMIOYO. It's boring.

Of course, all of this is severly undermined by the fact that there is no word on the tour coming to Australia. At least put me out of my misery and give me a definite "no". Bah.

They'll never come back to Perth after what Burswood stadium (allegedly) did to them on Popmart.  :(

Nah it's your turn this tour.

Adelaide and Perth tend to swap on alternate tours. :-)

Subiaco...>>>>> footy park.

EdgesDelay

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2009, 03:16:32 AM »
ATTENTION JICK

If God Will Send His Angels was rehearsed  ;D

U2 played that during Popmart Vegas opening night but it was a complete disaster.  They were so traumatized by that incident that they never even attempted playing the song again full-band.  Perhaps now is finally the time they nail it.  I really hope what they are practicing is the full-band version and not some acoustic snippet.

If God Will Send His Angels - is one of maybe two or three listenable songs in Pop.  The song structure is wonderful, with the slow start and the buildup (it's the blonde leading the blind) then finally to the very singable chorus.  The song is perhaps the only song in Pop to feature The Edge's signature chiming delay-ridden guitars.  The single version of the song is much improved but the video is crap.  The song with the single mix would fit nicely in JT, ATYCLB, or HTDAAB.

The Pop songs that don't have sing-along lyrics and none of U2's signature chiming guitars include Last Night On Earth, Mofo, Please, Wake Up Dead Man, Disotheque, and Gone - among others so those are the ones rightfully left off the setlist.  Staring At The Sun isn't bad at all, and If God Will Send His Angels is a very welcome surprise.

Maybe that's why U2 preferred to do the midtempo Unknown Caller over fast-paced and more stadium-worthy Stand Up Comedy - because it features the Edge's signature guitar sounds while makes U2 sound like U2.

Cheers,

J

It was staring at the sun that they screwed up on that opening night. They played it at the completely wrong tempo and had to start it again.

Offline croni

• Babyface
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2009, 03:21:55 AM »
if they play sycmioyo, i'm off to the jacks, what an absolute turgid song
and if God would send his Angels is second rate U2, that sanctimoneous drivel has no place on a set list

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2009, 04:09:05 AM »
I hope they don't continue with SYCMIOYO. It's one of my least favourite live U2 songs and, Bono's crying notwithstanding, just does a terrible job at conveying the emotion of the album version. I always thought it sounded really flat on the last tour.

Watch the version from Milan if you haven't done so.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2009, 05:00:43 AM »

It was staring at the sun that they screwed up on that opening night. They played it at the completely wrong tempo and had to start it again.

The screwed up virtually every song.  Even in Discotheque, the guitar effects didn't work.  At least they gave full-band Staring At The Sun a few more attempts to play in the subsequent shows.  For If God Will Send His Angels, they immediately put it in the backburner and stripped it down to no success.

Cheers,

J

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2009, 06:39:48 AM »
Jick sort it out, all you do is abuse the band and I'm sick of it

satellitedog01

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2009, 06:57:09 AM »
I can't believe this, but I have to defend Jick.

He was being quite factual on the topic, and it is our Pavlovian reflex to dis him. They didn't do justice to If God live. The full band version saw Bono lose track of things, he came in at completely the wrong time... The acoustic snippets were really nothing to write home about.

I am really hoping the guys will manage to bring it alive this time, just the way they so wonderfully did with The Wanderer(which might be worth considering on this tour...)
If they can turn If God... into a work of beauty like that, it'll be worth it.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2009, 07:13:30 AM »
Jick sort it out, all you do is abuse the band and I'm sick of it

Abuse the band? I am praising their efforts to bring back If God Will Send His Angels as it is easily one of the best tracks in POP because of its sonic signature.

Cheers,

J

Offline Mark0930

• Wanderer
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2009, 07:34:51 AM »
Am I one of the few who loves SYCMIOYO?????  Using this leading into Bad aounds amazing.....  I lost my Dad to cancer right before HTDAAB came out.  This song will always be special to me. 

I hope they keep it in the set.