Author Topic: U2 and Michael Jackson  (Read 8562 times)

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: U2 and Michael Jackson
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 09:59:52 PM »
Billy Jean was the first video that captured my imagination.  It is still one of the best videos ever.  I have always thought this video and song wer FAR superior to Thriller.

Yes Thriller was a mini movie and no one had done that and put on such a production for a video... but The song and video for Billy Jean was just so brilliantly simple.  It was somewhat mysterious and haunting in an emotional way.  WHile Thriller was just big and fun.  Billy Jean captured an atmosphere... It still is one of the best videos ever.

I was never the biggest MJ fan (i love songs here and there), but since the 90s Dangerous I have wanted and waited for him to get another album out that would remind us all of his greatness.  I think it was still there .

I do hope U2 pay tribute to him in concert.  He is their generation.

liam02

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 10:22:01 PM »
why am i watching M J vids on you tube im not even a big fan and im loving these awsome vids and songs thanx MJ ;)

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 10:25:34 PM »

ZOO TV SYDNEY 1993

"Goodbye Michael..." Bono looks at the lines of the video monitor, I hope you get your new penis. He suddenly has a vision of Michael Jackson committing suicide. He freezes, he does not finish the thought. -U2 At The End Of The World By: Bill Flannigan Pg 413.

I think the background to it, was that there was a rumor going in the tabloids to avoid sex charges Jackson was getting his penis changed, literally destroying the evidence. This is just stuff i read, i was 11 when this happened.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 10:28:20 PM by U2alwaysforever »

Offline smalin186

• Refugee
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 11:42:23 PM »
I hate to be Debbie Downer, but wasn't there an incident where Jackson contacted U2's people for a poster of the "War" album cover? Or am I imagining this?

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2009, 11:51:41 PM »
It's sad. God or bad, he is an icon and will always be. Someone in the news today commented "he is Elvis-like" I agree. Definitely changed the world.

Offline LOGAN B

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Ambition Bites the Nails of Success.
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2009, 08:47:53 AM »
Sorry, it was Playboy Mansion. Two people caught that. You are true U2 fans my friends.

shockdocta22

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2009, 11:04:41 AM »
Remeber the thread about coincidences around every important U2 thing?  its weird, a couple days before the tour opens, he dies!

(No i am not saying U2 caused this, im just saying it ::) )

I will truly miss MJ, he is inspiring so many people now, and he is a legend.  His videos and songs are amazing, he was a one of a kind

Rest  in Peace the KOP

Offline CharityDance

• Stateless
  • ...and turn me around tonight
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2009, 06:49:59 PM »
There is a really interesting graphical comparison of Jackson's rankings over the years on Billboard top 100 compared to U2, the Beatles, Mariah Carey etc.  Fascinating to check it out:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

satellitedog01

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2009, 03:09:47 PM »
Why the F is this thread in the general U2 discussion?

And don't forget poor Farah Fawcett, MJ stole her last applause...

The last time I was taken aback by hearing about a celebrity's death, was the day the great Gregory Peck died. RIP.

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2009, 12:12:28 PM »
There is a really interesting graphical comparison of Jackson's rankings over the years on Billboard top 100 compared to U2, the Beatles, Mariah Carey etc.  Fascinating to check it out:

Michael was the greatest. I really loved his art. It was real. When I heard he died I went on youtube and saw an very old performance of One day in your life and really started to cry. I never cried about the demise of any celebrity but this really got to me and hurt me in deepest core of my soul.

I knew that Farah wasn't doing well and was very sad about it. But when she died it was kind of expected and I felt a sad about it but Michael was a real shock because that was really unexpected He's gone and thus ends an important part of my youth.

So to Farah rest in peace you're up there angel
Michael Rest in peace You will always be the greatest and I will forever love you bro

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2009, 06:20:33 AM »
In the song "The Playboy Mansion" Bono sings, "If coke is a mystery, Michael Jackson history."

That is a reference to the album "HIStory, Past Present And Future Book, Vol.1" that came out at the time, and a reference to the advertising world of the Coca Cola company, which is ironic when you know that Pepsi sponsored Jackson's tours.

RIP MJ. Peace be with you.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2009, 08:13:29 AM »
In the song "The Playboy Mansion" Bono sings, "If coke is a mystery, Michael Jackson history."

That is a reference to the album "HIStory, Past Present And Future Book, Vol.1" that came out at the time, and a reference to the advertising world of the Coca Cola company, which is ironic when you know that Pepsi sponsored Jackson's tours.

RIP MJ. Peace be with you.

yes, but it was also a reference to the fact that, because of the allegations, his career as a recording artist was over (he was history).
this turned out to be more or less true. his career went rapidly downhill at that time.

Offline donvalley360

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2009, 08:21:36 AM »
RIP Michael Jackson.

On the U2 Dublin ZOO TV show from August 1993, isn't Bono referring to Michael Jackson when he says "You're not so bad" before Bad?

Also, for the ZOO TV Sydney video, during MacPhisto's speech, wasn't he going to say something about Michael Jackson but just cut it short at "Goodbye Michael"?

In Dublin 1993 right before Bad, Bono said "to Michael Jackson, I don't believe you're bad, guilty before you've been given a chance Michael."

Cheers,

Cool. Thanks.   :)

I think the goodbye Michael was for Michael Hutchence

Offline Terrasidius

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Bass suit, bug shades, moon boogie motorcade
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2009, 05:05:36 PM »
What does this thread have to do with U2?  ???

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2009, 08:54:20 PM »
During ZooTV tour when Bono was doing his Macphisto routine he nearly made a joke about Michael Jackson but stopped short thinking about the troubles Michael was going through. He was worried about the singer committing suicide. *I think I read this in "U2-At The End Of The World".