Author Topic: U2 avoids "October" like the plague when touring  (Read 3499 times)

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
  • On borderland we run and don't look back!
U2 avoids "October" like the plague when touring
« on: June 26, 2009, 06:27:19 AM »
To this day, I still find it funny how much this album is underrated and how little (Gloria) U2 plays live.  Listen to old recordings and you'll see that songs like, "I Fall Down" and "I Threw a Brick..." are great live tracks.  I know the history of the making of "October" (lost lyrics, strict timeline, religious issues) may bring up sour memories, but I really think they could visit "October" beyond "Gloria" when touring. Now if it's a case of the register being too high for Bono, then they can tinker a bit but imagine if they pulled out "I Fall Down" with Edge jamming on the piano (hopefully we'll see that when they do "The Unforgettable Fire")? Just my 2 cents.  I also know that newer fans probably couldn't pick out "October" if it were the only album on their Ipod so playing "October" material live may not placate the masses and would lead to bathroom breaks.  :P
Thoughts?

Offline kev346

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I'm ready I'm ready for the laughing gas
Re: U2 avoids "October" like the plague when touring
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 06:47:28 AM »
Ye . I agree would love to hear more October songs . I Fall Down is one of my all time favourite U2 songs and i was gutted when it wasn't on the DVD of UABRS. October the song is lovely and a great way into New Years Day ( if that's still on the set list ) . Gloria is great live and a good song for Larry to whack the hell out of his drums which i love to see.
So ye i for one would join the shout for more October songs on this tour .

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 08:49:24 AM »
Gloria is in my TOP 10 songs and is probably the most underplayed all time classic they have. As far as the rest of the album goes only October could maybe make a comeback, some of the songs although I love them, are a bit dated. Fire being a prime example.
I really thought Gloria would feature highly this time seeing as the mood of the new album is very religious.

Offline Niterpi

• Stateless
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 08:54:37 AM »
i love, Love, LOVE october!  i have a couple of bootlegs from this tour and they are fantastic.  this album had great live evergy.  or, maybe this band just had great live energy!  i would love it if they would play some of it !

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 11:49:58 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ye . I agree would love to hear more October songs . I Fall Down is one of my all time favourite U2 songs and i was gutted when it wasn't on the DVD of UABRS. October the song is lovely and a great way into New Years Day ( if that's still on the set list ) . Gloria is great live and a good song for Larry to whack the hell out of his drums which i love to see.
So ye i for one would join the shout for more October songs on this tour .

I have some great live versions of "I Fall Down".  If you want one, let me know your email (if you are a high speed connection because the file will be about 5mb).

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 12:27:34 PM »
They played Gloria at some Vertigo shows, and it was amazing!

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 01:15:51 PM »
They played Gloria at some Vertigo shows, and it was amazing!

Yea they did but it stopped there.  "Gloria" was great live as always.  I just wish they would revisit 1982 here and there.  Especially "I Fall Down". Problem is that at least 40,000 people would look at each other thinking they were hearing a new song.... :P

uridahsee

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 01:22:25 PM »
The piano intro from the song "October" would probably work well this tour, especially going into a song such as UC.

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 01:24:31 PM »
The piano intro from the song "October" would probably work well this tour, especially going into a song such as UC.

What an idea!!! Edge runs the chords only.  No words.  Place goes nuts... He holds the last note and walks away. Lanois continues that note off stage and then moves into the key of UC.  Tremendous! Willie is fired. It's our show now!!!  :D

Offline Niterpi

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 02:13:38 PM »
i listened to october in the car today and what really strikes me is the drums - that album is all about the drums!  No Line has the drums showcased alot too.  almost any of those songs  from october would fit into this tour great!  ---  i fall down drums bleeding into being born...  heaven!

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 03:57:38 PM »
I am with you Gravy 11. You should visit the Thread called October Worship. You will see many posts by myself and singnomore. We are very big fans of October but are certainly in the minority. You will enjoy the posts there if you like October. We are so disappointed that no October songs are on the 360 list.

hurricane hugo

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 05:08:08 PM »
Gloria's one of my all-time top 5 U2 songs...but if they pull anything off of October this time around, I think Rejoice would be perfect.

#@!

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 06:43:59 PM »
I am with you Gravy 11. You should visit the Thread called October Worship. You will see many posts by myself and singnomore. We are very big fans of October but are certainly in the minority. You will enjoy the posts there if you like October. We are so disappointed that no October songs are on the 360 list.

I've checked it out before.  Goos stuff no doubt.  I think some of the songs would work on this tour.  They had no business on "Vertigo" or "Elevation" but with 360...I don't know, "October" seems to fit.  I think our boys locked up "October" in a little black box and no one can find the fricken key! Use your axe The Edge...Use your axe!!!!

Offline u2wire

• Babyface
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 07:50:23 PM »
100% Agree...October needs to get some respect.  Edge's guitar & piano playing is very innovative on October and Larry's drumming is amazing. I vote for:  "I fall down" "Gloria"
"Fire"
As for playing for the masses I so NO! U2 was never that kind of band and doesn't have to be.  U2 is here to elevate our Minds & Spirits!!!  The masses are dumbed down enough let's try and challenge them.  They might even like it and put down their damn cell phones for a minute and be in the moment!  ;)

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 08:10:08 PM »
100% Agree...October needs to get some respect.  Edge's guitar & piano playing is very innovative on October and Larry's drumming is amazing. I vote for:  "I fall down" "Gloria"
"Fire"
As for playing for the masses I so NO! U2 was never that kind of band and doesn't have to be.  U2 is here to elevate our Minds & Spirits!!!  The masses are dumbed down enough let's try and challenge them.  They might even like it and put down their damn cell phones for a minute and be in the moment!  ;)

Ok u2wire, you are cool  8)   (You have redeemed yourself after calling Angle of Harlem the worst song for the upcoming tour  ;) :D!!!