Author Topic: U2 avoids "October" like the plague when touring  (Read 3497 times)

Offline jlw1980

• Babyface
Re: U2 avoids "October" like the plague when touring
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2009, 03:24:41 AM »
I'd love to hear some October songs!!

Offline efdeat

• Elevated
  • It's your world. You can change it.
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2009, 08:40:57 AM »
I am just another voice of hope for something from October on this tour.  Maybe by next summer the set list will include something like Scarlet or I Fall Down!

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2009, 10:16:54 AM »
October is perhaps their least selling and most forgettable album.  So why resurrect something that's buried too deep down under?

Cheers,

J

uridahsee

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2009, 10:23:21 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
October is perhaps their least selling and most forgettable album.  So why resurrect something that's buried too deep down under?

Cheers,

J

Just to spite you.

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
  • On borderland we run and don't look back!
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2009, 10:35:10 AM »

Cheers,

J

Really Jick?? No Pop comment? I disagree. Listen to the Red Rocks version of "I Threw a Brick" or "I Fall down".  Live they are tremendous. Be a better substitute than "In a Little while" no? Is it their best album, no, but it got killed because it was rushed and it paled in comparison to "Boy".  I do think it ranks in the lower 3rd of U2's catalog but that is one hell of a catalog right?

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2009, 10:43:41 PM »

Cheers,

J

Really Jick?? No Pop comment? I disagree. Listen to the Red Rocks version of "I Threw a Brick" or "I Fall down".  Live they are tremendous. Be a better substitute than "In a Little while" no? Is it their best album, no, but it got killed because it was rushed and it paled in comparison to "Boy".  I do think it ranks in the lower 3rd of U2's catalog but that is one hell of a catalog right?

Pop outsold October by a mile, although I don't know how that would translate given the population growth.  October is an album few have heard or even know about.  The songs there don't even have a music video so none of the fans recall that album except for Gloria.

I have nothing to say against POP, as U2's setlist which seems to exclude October and Pop so far have been doing the talking.

Cheers,

J

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2009, 10:51:50 PM »
October is a little gem from U2' s body of work that is filled with beautifully written songs filled with a lot of spirituality. It is the lowest selling and least liked album in every poll we have here on the forum. But I will stand by October! It saddens me that U2 does not feel the need to include at least one of the songs on the 360 tour. It is our loss not to hear the band play any of those songs (in my humble opinion).

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2009, 11:41:30 PM »

Cheers,

J

You can't compare album sales in 1982 to sales 15 years later. With the introduction of the Internet people could hear material early and learn about a band easier. Point being if you didn't know of U2 in 1982, you weren't going to pickup "October". People picked up "Pop" because either they were diehards or maybe even curious newbies who read about U2s new direction or downloaded "Discotheque" on Napster. LOL. Seriously Jick, get a hold of the entire show on June 5, 1983 at Red Rocks, CO. The October material comes alive. Larry is like Animal on the Muppets with his drumming. Bono sounds like a professional yodeler he's so on. Edge is as raw as steak tartar and Adams bass is grungier than Courtney Love...in general. Now if those metaphors don't open up your ears Im tapped. LOL!

Pop outsold October by a mile, although I don't know how that would translate given the population growth.  October is an album few have heard or even know about.  The songs there don't even have a music video so none of the fans recall that album except for Gloria.

I have nothing to say against POP, as U2's setlist which seems to exclude October and Pop so far have been doing the talking.

Cheers,

J

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2009, 03:31:06 AM »

Cheers,

J

Cheers,

J

if they played songs purely on the basis of how the albums sold then we'd have a show with just joshua tree songs and ab songs !!!!!!! thank god they don't listen to you and play songs we all love and want to hear.more october please
cheers
spanner

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2009, 03:34:16 AM »
October is a little gem from U2' s body of work that is filled with beautifully written songs filled with a lot of spirituality. It is the lowest selling and least liked album in every poll we have here on the forum. But I will stand by October! It saddens me that U2 does not feel the need to include at least one of the songs on the 360 tour. It is our loss not to hear the band play any of those songs (in my humble opinion).
i think iv'e mentioned this somewhere but i was watching the island 50 year specail and u2 were talking about october and the fact the record company hated it.i got the impression from bono and the face he pulled when talking about it that its not an album they care to much about now.looks like we may have to wait for october songs

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2009, 09:01:59 AM »
i think iv'e mentioned this somewhere but i was watching the island 50 year specail and u2 were talking about october and the fact the record company hated it.i got the impression from bono and the face he pulled when talking about it that its not an album they care to much about now.looks like we may have to wait for october songs

"October" definitely had bad kharma with it and may remind the boys of tough times. I just feel the avoidance is very overt. "Zooropa" scared the crap out of U2 fans but songs such as "Stay" receive warm encouragement when Edge strums that first chord. Regardless of album sales, the bands' recording experience, last minute lyrics with an over abundance of religious overtones...you're telling me if Edge plays the intro to "I Fall Down" the place wouldn't meltdown? I think you would hear about 30,000 "Holy Sh*ts" and the first thing in reviews would be the mention of a left field surprise from our boys from Ireland. Please keep in mind that "October" is not my favorite. Let's say I like an underdog! LOL.   

Offline Niterpi

• Stateless
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2009, 10:00:21 AM »

i totally agree.  i have been a fan since 1983.  i bought october in about 1989 and listened to it once and really didn't like it much.  i pulled it out again about 10 years ago and fell in love.  since that time it has remained one of my favorite u2 albums and i so wish they would play it live.

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2009, 12:53:41 PM »

Cheers,

J

Because it's better than both htdaab and atyclb

Sales be damned.

Really, is sales the only thing that matters to you  ?

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2009, 07:58:59 PM »

[/quote] if they played songs purely on the basis of how the albums sold then we'd have a show with just joshua tree songs and ab songs !!!!!!! thank god they don't listen to you and play songs we all love and want to hear.more october please
cheers
spanner
[/quote]

I personally feel they do listen to the sales or maybe it's more that U2 trusts very little of their songs live after they have been played on the tour following their release as an album.  How can a band with U2's back catalogue rehearse only 29 songs for the current tour.  The music industry is something completely different than it was for even the Elevation Tour.  You don't get hits like you used to and you don't get sales like you used to.  What I see right now are two types of touring bands.  1.  Bands reuniting per no more sales/Bands touring playing only greatest hits  2.  Bands embracing the internet culture and really rotating their set.  I have an idea for U2 and I think something that is a great formula for all bands to follow.  Since they are touring off a new album you please anywhere from 6-8 songs.  So lets assume the set will be 24 songs and U2 is playing 7 new songs.  That leaves 17 remaining songs in the set.  Prior to NLOTH, U2 has 11 previous albums (i'm not going to include Passengers).  Why not play a minimum of 1 song per album.  That brings the set to 18 songs.  Leaving 6 wildcard sports from previous albums.  In my opinion U2 has to stop writing a script like a broadway play live and take music back to its core spontaneity.  Imagine the energy from U2 if they were rotating 60-70 songs over the course of a tour and changing half the set each night.  They can actually keep the same core of the show and change up some of its interchangeable parts.  I agree with many posters here that "I Fall Down" would be insane if they brought it back.  I think back to Lovetown and I love when U2 used to open with Hawkmoon and for one brief moment live on Elevation they dusted part of it off.  Listen to some of those UF tour shows and how great Wire sounded.  I also think Fire would be a great addition to the current show.  It's got a great intro riff that I don't think it sounds as dated as some people have said in posts.  I think many times we think a song sounds dated because there are no current live recordings of it.

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2009, 12:38:17 PM »
i've got some uf shows and your right there are some great takes off wire.i'd love to see indian summer sky or wire,sort of homecoming back.fire was always a better song live than it was on record,bono often said it was unfinished and it could have been a good song but it got away from them.there was always a story years ago that edge had forgotten how to play many of the really old songs and had real trouble remembering how to play them.i would love to see them add an october song or two.the news that there playing a song they never played even when they toured the album(drowning man) must fill us with all hope :)