Author Topic: U2 avoids "October" like the plague when touring  (Read 3479 times)

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
  • On borderland we run and don't look back!
Re: U2 avoids "October" like the plague when touring
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2009, 12:41:08 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
i've got some uf shows and your right there are some great takes off wire.i'd love to see indian summer sky or wire,sort of homecoming back.fire was always a better song live than it was on record,bono often said it was unfinished and it could have been a good song but it got away from them.there was always a story years ago that edge had forgotten how to play many of the really old songs and had real trouble remembering how to play them.i would love to see them add an october song or two.the news that there playing a song they never played even when they toured the album(drowning man) must fill us with all hope :)

*Edge reads this post, smiles and begins working on remembering the chords to "Promenade" as well as "Red Hill Mining Town". Hee-hee*

Offline highway190

• Refugee
  • Not telling you where the J Tree is.
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2009, 12:43:48 PM »
October is perhaps their least selling and most forgettable album.  So why resurrect something that's buried too deep down under?

Cheers,

J

Because it's better than both htdaab and atyclb

Sales be damned.

Really, is sales the only thing that matters to you  ?

;D

Offline macphisto

• Party Girl/Boy
  • In te domine.
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2009, 12:44:07 PM »
If the refrains of 'in te domine' ever make it live on this tour and if I am able to hear this miracle when the band come stateside to the South, I'll be psyched beyond all getout! Sadly, it seems that Gloria might be canned this time around. A shame, really.

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
  • On borderland we run and don't look back!
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2009, 01:22:03 PM »
If the refrains of 'in te domine' ever make it live on this tour and if I am able to hear this miracle when the band come stateside to the South, I'll be psyched beyond all getout! Sadly, it seems that Gloria might be canned this time around. A shame, really.

Based on its appearance on "Vertigo" I think you have a better chance of hearing "I Fall down".  There may be a few appearance of "Gloria" but it definitely won't be a "rotater"...Sorry!

Offline JoshTucson

• Babyface
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2009, 09:25:10 PM »
even just the simple song October would work. Edge on Piano, Bono singing and Larry on block.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2009, 12:32:05 AM »
Quote from: JoshTucson
even just the simple song October would work. Edge on Piano, Bono singing and Larry on block.

The block is something that requires a LOT of practice. Larry hasn't played the block in 17 years, so expecting him to just be able to come out and play the block on a large scale tour like this is asking too much in my opinion.

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2009, 02:13:29 AM »

The block is something that requires a LOT of practice. Larry hasn't played the block in 17 years, so expecting him to just be able to come out and play the block on a large scale tour like this is asking too much in my opinion.

Oh my... are you serious? As a percussionist, I can understand the desire for perfect block/bell/triangle/etc. playing, but, uh...it's quarter notes. ;)

Sydney_Mike

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2009, 04:19:44 AM »
Imagine the energy from U2 if they were rotating 60-70 songs over the course of a tour and changing half the set each night.  They can actually keep the same core of the show and change up some of its interchangeable parts.

Agree totally. If the Counting Crows can play two entirely different set lists in Melbourne (approx 45 songs) from only 5 studio albums, then surely U2 are capable of mixing it up a lot more than they do. Playing consecutive shows in the same city with only 3 or 4 different songs is playing it too safe.

Getting back on topic for a moment, wouldn't "Tomorrow" fit in perfectly on this tour?

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2009, 04:51:34 AM »

Oh my... are you serious? As a percussionist, I can understand the desire for perfect block/bell/triangle/etc. playing, but, uh...it's quarter notes. ;)

Yeah. I'm serious  ::)

Cmonnnnnn...  :D